Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Cable Replacemnt Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:52 PM
roadblock1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Cable Replacemnt Help

I'm replacing my clutch cable on my 2007 Dyna Street Bob for the first time, since the previous owner must have over-tightened the previous one or something. It leaks from where it goes in the transmission. I bought a Magnum Black Pearl cable in the proper length.
So I watched videos, I have the service manual, I searched threads, and I can't find the answer to this problem.

I drained the transmission, took off the cover, removed the snap ring, and removed the old cable. Hooked up the new cable, put everything back together the way it was. Except when I go to hook the cable up to the lever on the handlebars.
There is not enough free play in the cable for me to feed it into the housing where it sits with the lever.
I have the adjuster that is mid way up the cable fully loosened off too.

What am I missing here?

Old 04-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Orange_jubilee
Intermediate

I thought you would want to tighten the the adjuster in so it gives you more cable to work with at the clutch lever

Old 04-20-2014, 10:05 PM
EricInNCa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange_jubilee
I thought you would want to tighten the the adjuster in so it gives you more cable to work with at the clutch lever
+1. Sounds like you went the wrong way with the inline cable adjuster. Thread it all the way together, Not apart. Effectively, you have taken all your adjustment out.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:08 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the centre adjuster in screwed down too loosen cable,, ive had some times on bikes, install cable onto the lever then slide it thru the groves and use the lever too pull it thru so you can put the pin in,,Or loosen the clutch pack behind the derby cover central screw as you should be also adjusting this when installing a new cable

Old 04-20-2014, 10:10 PM
roadblock1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EricInNCa
+1. Sounds like you went the wrong way with the inline cable adjuster. Thread it all the way together, Not apart. Effectively, you have taken all your adjustment out.
Sorry I should say the adjuster is tightened all the way, so that the cable is loose. I verified by trying it both ways.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:15 PM
roadblock1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by loopie
if the centre adjuster in screwed down too loosen cable,, ive had some times on bikes, install cable onto the lever then slide it thru the groves and use the lever too pull it thru so you can put the pin in,,Or loosen the clutch pack behind the derby cover central screw as you should be also adjusting this when installing a new cable
I thought of doing that with the lever but I still can't get it through enough.
I have the derby cover off too, was reading ahead about the clutch pack but didn't really understand how that works.
As a last ditch effort I put a ratchet on the nut in the centre of that clutch pack under the derby cover and tried turning it but nothing happened.

Could it be I screwed something up when putting the new cable in the transmission side? I made sure the ball bearings were sandwiched between the two plates, but maybe they aren't in there properly somehow?

Old 04-20-2014, 10:44 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by roadblock1
I have the derby cover off too, was reading ahead about the clutch pack but didn't really understand how that works.
As a last ditch effort I put a ratchet on the nut in the centre of that clutch pack under the derby cover and tried turning it but nothing happened.

Could it be I screwed something up when putting the new cable in the transmission side? I made sure the ball bearings were sandwiched between the two plates, but maybe they aren't in there properly somehow?
sorry I cant help you there never replaced a cable on a Harley, but all bikes are pretty much the same, use a ring spanner on the centre nut , using a screw driver thru the spanner too hold the threaded bolt/adjuster. once the nut is loose unscrew the adjuster install the cable up top, now using the same tools adjust the bolt back off by what the book says holding the adjuster tighten the nut

Old 04-20-2014, 10:44 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by roadblock1

First off it is not un-common to develop a leak at the gasket by the tranny.

You should be able to place the wire cable in the handle with the white plastic grommet and pull the outer cable out to place the end of the cable in the lever housing.

You may just have the wrong cable, maybe.

pull your clutch cable out from under the bike and stretch it out. This is a good time to compare it to the old one which you should have done anyway. holding the outer cable you should be able to pull the wire inner cable out and hear it snap back in place, otherwise those three ***** are not in their ramps and you will have to start the job over and get those ***** in

don't worry about the gasket it can be re-used.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:10 PM
roadblock1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by maddghost
First off it is not un-common to develop a leak at the gasket by the tranny.

You should be able to place the wire cable in the handle with the white plastic grommet and pull the outer cable out to place the end of the cable in the lever housing.

You may just have the wrong cable, maybe.

pull your clutch cable out from under the bike and stretch it out. This is a good time to compare it to the old one which you should have done anyway. holding the outer cable you should be able to pull the wire inner cable out and hear it snap back in place, otherwise those three ***** are not in their ramps and you will have to start the job over and get those ***** in

don't worry about the gasket it can be re-used.
It must be that the three ***** are out of place then, the cable is a Magnum Black Pearl, 4 inches over stock, for my ape hangers. Same cable that was on there before. I even laid them on the ground and compared before I put the new one on.

Is there a trick to keeping them in the right spot?
I took off the snap ring (that sucked) pulled the old cable off the top plate, put the new one on, threaded the new cable in and put it all together again.
There was a gap between the top plate and the snap ring, and when I pulled the clutch cable it turned and rised up to meet the snap ring. Is that how it is designed? (sorry if thats a stupid question)
Just trying to get my mind around what is wrong.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:19 PM
roadblock1
Intermediate

Looks like someone else had this issue, now I'm not sure I want to go back in the transmission since it's all nicely put together and bolts are torques to spec. Hmmm, would it hurt the cable to force it out more with something?

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...an-normal.html

Quick Reply: Clutch Cable Replacemnt Help