Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:52 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Helmet Info

Hello, I have a few different helmets some are DOT and others are non DOT half helmets. I also have a 3/4 Biltwell novelty helmet that I really like wearing because it cuts down on wind noise in my ears. I purchased this helmet in 2009 and had no wind issues when I had my Ultra. Now that I am back on a dyna the helmet feels like it's a sail in the wind at highway speeds. It feels like it's trying to pull off my head and pulls my head and neck back. This is very uncomfortable. I am leaving for the beach next week and trying to figure out if there is a fix for this? Just curious if anyone else has had this issue? Thanks

Old 04-21-2014, 04:33 AM
petefwa
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

lf your helmet is that old, it really should be replaced anyway. Have a look around and buy a new approved helmet....

Old 04-21-2014, 06:09 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Novelty helmets are for novelty heads in my opinion. What's the point?

The issue you're having though is related to how the helmet fits. This can happen with any helmet.

Your helmet should fit snug with no room to move around on your head. When you try to move your helmet in any direction, your head should move with it without hesitation or any slippage. A good fitting 3/4 helmet should not be caught in the wind like a parachute.

Just my guess, but it sounds like your helmet is too big.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:27 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LS2 helmet is the way to go. Air ventilation, removable washable liner and the thing fits like a glove, and it won't make your head look like Captain Kazoo for under a hundred bucks.

Last edited by Jeff's 1st Harley; 04-21-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:41 AM
jdub099
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should measure your melon and get a DOT helmet, preferably full face unless you're already pretty ugly Or don't wear a helmet at all. That's my philosophy. Skid lids and novelty helmets just seem pointless to me at this point. Either you want to be safe- and you do it right. Or you want the wind in your hair- and you do that right. There's no in between.

I've been enjoying my Biltwell Gringo. It's seriously lacking in the technology department, and maybe that wear on me over time, but so far it has been nice.

Last edited by jdub099; 04-21-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:02 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the info. The biltwell is one size fits most and has been used with alot of skull caps while winter riding. I have also lost some weight over the years. I sent Biltwell a email and they recommended a new liner and bubble shield. I have about a week to decide what i need to do. Thanks again.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:35 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

I have been through a LOT of helmets and this one is by far my most favorite. Fits great, good coverage, light, low noise and changeable (clear and tinted) shields.

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/ind...ket_Carbon_Pro

Last edited by modular; 04-21-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:02 PM
FXD_noob
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can absolutely wear an open face, or a novelty helmet...if you're willing to pay the price...like I did a year ago...not that I want to scare you or anything...

Anyways, your issue is a wind buffeting one. Your original post tells us you've been riding and Ultra, which has big nice fairings that move the wind away from you...now that you're back on a Dyna, there is no such wind protection. You could try getting a windshield for your bike instead of another helmet, or full face helmets designed to be a little more aerodynamic than average.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:34 PM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FXD_noob
You can absolutely wear an open face, or a novelty helmet...if you're willing to pay the price...like I did a year ago...not that I want to scare you or anything...

Anyways, your issue is a wind buffeting one. Your original post tells us you've been riding and Ultra, which has big nice fairings that move the wind away from you...now that you're back on a Dyna, there is no such wind protection. You could try getting a windshield for your bike instead of another helmet, or full face helmets designed to be a little more aerodynamic than average.
Wow, hope you are doing better! You got me thinkin!!

Old 04-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 737 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by FXD_noob

Dude, those pics are scarier than horror movies and biker skull tattoos! I know that had to hurt!

There's some things that make me feel naked, and one is not wearing a full face helmet. I wore a half helmet sometimes when I rode my UC and I (just me now, my opinion about myself, not anyone else) just felt stupid. One thing I love about a full face besides the health value of it is the anonymity. Hell, I probably like my privacy more than my health even.

Quick Reply: Helmet Info