Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile first service

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 01:10 PM
kreeess
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1000 mile first service

okay guys, im getting close to my 1k initial service on my 14sb, I have been asking around the dealers around me and they have all been quoting me $350-475 for the service and all fluids swapped to syn3. My question is would I void my extended warranty if I went through an Indy shop to do the work, I havent called to ask how much they would charge but from I recall $65/hr and I trust the Indy nearby my house theyve worked on a few of my Sportbike and track/race bikes.

what have you guys done and what do you suggest I do? $400 is a lot to cough up for initial service/inspection.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:13 PM
justintyme73
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, that won't void anything, just keep your receipts to document it

Old 05-01-2014, 01:17 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

It's a lot of money for something that's basically an oil and filter change, and if the shop is any good they will go over everything else on the check list for that service.
You can do it yourself, just save your receipts.
You can have your indie do the service, keep the repair order for your records.
It won't void any warranty, either the factory one or the service contract you bought. Just make sure you hang on to all the documentation.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:20 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

thank you that is a relief to hear. what exactly gets done in a 1k service and when switching to full synthetic all around should I be looking in to getting any specific oil?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:26 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

if you havent already done so spend the money on a service manual and do it yourself. You can also find the service check lists online but the manual is the best tool you can own. You can buy a manual and a jack and still come out ahead

Old 05-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kreeess
thank you that is a relief to hear. what exactly gets done in a 1k service and when switching to full synthetic all around should I be looking in to getting any specific oil?
Now you've gone and done it! This will turn in to an "oil" thread! ARRRRRRGGGG! Opinions on oil are like noses, everybody has one, but their all a little different....

In the good ol days, Dealers used to include the 1000 mile service in the purchase price. (at least the good dealers) They supposedly changed all fluids and checked torque on critical fasteners. If you wanted synthetic you paid the difference between it and fossil oil. Now it's all about making max dollars after the sale.

I would not put synthetic motor oil in my gearbox. I use Mobil 1 20W50 V-Twin oil in the motor, Formula + in the Primary, and Spectro Platinum Six Speed gear oil in the trans case. That's what I've done for close to 40k miles now. No issues. Many other combos work also.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:30 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would save yourself some money and change the fluids yourself. If you see metal particulates from any of the drained fluid from any hole, I would immediately pursue the dealer. Use harley fluids for safety sake, and I don't think there is any reason you HAVE to go to syn3. I have always run harley multi grade 20w50 with no issues, you just have to change it more often. I ran synthetic once, and it felt weird.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:31 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by kreeess
what exactly gets done in a 1k service?
Your owner's handbook will tell you what gets done for every service.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:31 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Clayvis
Now you've gone and done it! This will turn in to an "oil" thread! ARRRRRRGGGG! Opinions on oil are like noses, everybody has one, but their all a little different....

In the good ol days, Dealers used to include the 1000 mile service in the purchase price. (at least the good dealers) They supposedly changed all fluids and checked torque on critical fasteners. If you wanted synthetic you paid the difference between it and fossil oil. Now it's all about making max dollars after the sale.

I would not put synthetic motor oil in my gearbox. I use Mobil 1 20W50 V-Twin oil in the motor, Formula + in the Primary, and Spectro Platinum Six Speed gear oil in the trans case. That's what I've done for close to 40k miles now. No issues. Many other combos work also.
doh! haha aw man I know how touchy the oil subject can be, I am also on the Corvetteforum and there is an Oil thread thats thousands of pages long lol I know everyone has their opinion but I like to see what people us and suggest it helps to have a second opinion

Old 05-01-2014, 01:33 PM
kreeess
Road Captain

Originally Posted by c-note
I would save yourself some money and change the fluids yourself. If you see metal particulates from any of the drained fluid from any hole, I would immediately pursue the dealer. Use harley fluids for safety sake, and I don't think there is any reason you HAVE to go to syn3. I have always run harley multi grade 20w50 with no issues, you just have to change it more often. I ran synthetic once, and it felt weird.

are oil intervals different from a syn to a reg fossil oil

Quick Reply: 1000 mile first service