Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Mirrors, missing leds (again)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 11:28 AM
iDodgimus
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LED Mirrors, missing leds (again)

I installed HD Led Mirrors on my Street Bob a couple years back and loved them, the mirrors were good and the sigs, although barely visible thru the day were awesome in the evening. About 2 years in, a couple of leds in the left one crapped out so I carefully pulled it apart and found the the led unit was sealed and not repairable so I put it back together and tried to ignore it.

As part of my bar swap this year I replaced the busted mirror (cheapest I could find was $111 from Kutter) and less than 3 days of riding later the right one is missing the same couple of leds that the left one was!!!

I've no idea what could have caused it, leds arent supposed to burn out are they? There's only power and ground wires so it's not like we could have gotten something wrong there, and surely a loose connection or shoddy ground would affect ALL the leds and not just a couple in the middle of the array?

These bars are do have a little more vibration but surely that couldn't have shaken something loose...

I'm super frustrated and trying to decide whether to drop another $110 on a(nother) replacement or forget that I just did that on the left and get some plain old fashioned just-mirrors mirrors

I could always just ride with missing LEDs but c'mon, it looks like she's missing teeth!

Old 05-05-2014, 11:32 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

typically LEDS that are not working is due to lack of power or poor connection, i would trace your power and ground wires back and just double check them

Old 05-05-2014, 12:41 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master

thanks, i'll get on that... hopefully there's a poor connection outside of the mirror that I can sort out!

Originally Posted by JRK5892
typically LEDS that are not working is due to lack of power or poor connection, i would trace your power and ground wires back and just double check them

Old 05-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 737 Likes on 506 Posts

I just switched to Customs Dynamics, so when I was taking out the old bulbs there was an ample amount of dielectric grease on all bulb connections and was prepared to put a small dab of it when I installed the CD's--But CD in their instructions state that LED's do not work well with dielectric grease and it would be best not to use any.

I did not know that or if I did didn't remember so, maybe you knew this but just passing it on, maybe it's something to check.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:16 PM
iDodgimus
Road Master

i didn't know that - i also didnt use any!

Old 05-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

In my experience, LED life is highly over-rated.
When normal bulbs fail, at least, you can pick 'em up almost anywhere.