Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does my air cleaner cover keep falling off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 06:58 AM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Why does my air cleaner cover keep falling off?

2011 FXDWG with V&H staggered short shots and a screaming eagle stage 1 intake.

I'm on an epic (to me) 21-day ride touching all 48 lower states. It's Day 14.

In just about 6,000 miles since we left home, the center plate of the K&N filters I use has failed three times. The plate that bolts to the intake has the nut on it that the bolt that holds the cleaner cover on threads into, and the metal around the nut is fatiguing.. Eventually it breaks, and the cleaner cover - nut, bolt, and a small circle of metal - comes off.

We left Columbus, GA on May 2. It first failed outside Durango, CO. The HD shop was minutes from closing when I rolled in, so I replaced the filter myself.

When we had a scheduled oil change in Sacramento, CA, the service tech noticed the metal was failing, but hadn't broken al the way off. So the shop replaced it.

Then yesterday, somewhere on the high plains in Wyoming, it fell off again.

I'm using a t-shirt to cover the filter and gaping hole for now, but we have another service opportunity in Ipswich, MN in a couple of days.

I'd post pictures, but I haven't figured out how to upload photos from my phone to photobucket yet.

Anybody ever heard of such a thing?

And if you're curious about the ride, you can read, look at photos, and watch videos (including live streaming from the road) at www.rideformiracles.com

Old 05-16-2014, 07:01 AM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master

By the way, we are in Sioux City. NE this morning, and we're KSU in 50 minutes. I'll be watching my phone for replies. Scheduled for 557 miles today, arriving in Milwaukee sometime after dinner.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:15 AM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 866 Likes on 546 Posts

Are you using blue loctite?

Old 05-16-2014, 07:17 AM
Chase1961
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I understand correctly, it's the threaded piece on the filter failing. I've not had any problems with mine and I've got over 7k on it. Maybe give K&N a call.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:46 AM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master

Originally Posted by Chase1961
If I understand correctly, it's the threaded piece on the filter failing. I've not had any problems with mine and I've got over 7k on it. Maybe give K&N a call.
That's exactly it. It's the metal plate that has the threaded nut on it that is failing. The bolt is secure in the nut.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:53 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by JHL-ShinySideUp
That's exactly it. It's the metal plate that has the threaded nut on it that is failing. The bolt is secure in the nut.

Maybe you're over tightening it and stressing the metal around the bolt.
Put a little blue Loctite on it and don't over tighten it and it should be fine.
I run the same filter on a couple of my bikes and have never experienced a problem like that.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:15 AM
peter deering
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All nuts and bolts on a harley must be torqued to there recommended specs, if you overtighten it will possibly stress and break and if you under torque it will loosen and back off. Plus everything i install has loctite and proper torque spec as to manufacturers recommendations. Hope this helps you and good luck

Old 05-16-2014, 09:15 AM
grumble
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Maybe you're over tightening it and stressing the metal around the bolt.
Put a little blue Loctite on it and don't over tighten it and it should be fine.
I run the same filter on a couple of my bikes and have never experienced a problem like that.
This is the most likely culprit. An accurate low-range torque wrench for the cover is your friend.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Chase1961
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Next time you remove your cover, make sure the rubber piece, that goes between the cover and filter is still there. As the others suggested try some locktite and torque it. My only other thought is, is your leg hitting it or laying against it? Hope you get this figured out.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:26 PM
JHL-ShinySideUp
Road Master

Originally Posted by Chase1961
Next time you remove your cover, make sure the rubber piece, that goes between the cover and filter is still there. As the others suggested try some locktite and torque it. My only other thought is, is your leg hitting it or laying against it? Hope you get this figured out.
Thanks for the replies. Were about 300 miles down the road and I'm still running with a t-shirt over my air filter. I think the missing part is that little rubber washer is supposed to go in there. Maybe at the last service before I left on this trip he forgot to put that on. Two different Harley dealerships put on two different filters and neither one of them notice the missing part and it keeps breaking so I hope that this will fix it when I get to the next shop.

Check out the website at www.rideformiracles.com. we are streaming live video from the road as we roll down the highway. We are in Wisconsin right now. We should be in Milwaukee sometime tonight.

Quick Reply: Why does my air cleaner cover keep falling off?