Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake fluid on tank after upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Thunderhorse
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake fluid on tank after upgrades?

I recently got my new 3 spoke front wheel on with dual discs and calipers. The black pearl magnum line is on as well but I think it is allowing brake fluid to get blown onto the tank while I ride. There is a junction at the triple tree the links the upper brake line and the lower lines. I've tightened it down pretty well but I suspect it is still leaking.
How tight can I take that connection?
Maybe the banjo bolts need to go tighter as well, though I torqued them to the spec in the book.
I'm using copper washers but HD has another set with a rubber coating. I can't tell if brake fluid is running down the line from the master cylinder, but would copper washers allow weeping of brake fluid?

Thanks for the help!
I tried searching but there were so many threads about other brake topics and not fluid leaking that I started my own.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Thunderhorse
Cruiser

Here's a picture of the wheel and brakes. I already wiped up the brake fluid right as I got to work this morning. I will check before I leave tonight for where the fluid is coming from.

Attached Thumbnails Brake fluid on tank after upgrades?-img_2409.jpg  
Old 05-21-2014, 04:23 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I can't advise you on your brake lines, but I can warn you on your paint. Brake Fluid can literally strip the paint off your tank. Don't allow it to be in contact with your paint for any length of time. It can totally ruin your paint. Until you repair the leaks, keeping the pant well waxed will help.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:20 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Clean things off well, hold the brake lever down hard by wrapping it to the grip with a bungee cord, and look for your leak.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:56 PM
Thunderhorse
Cruiser

PanHeadRich- yep. i'm aware of the damaging effects of brake fluid which has me concerned. luckily my ride is about 16 miles one way and I wiped it off as soon as I got to work.

Thanks for the tip Warp Factor. I'll give it a shot.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:12 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 970 Likes on 733 Posts

Are you sure it's brake fluid? If it's enough to get on the tank you should see where it's coming from. I've seen where a bad fork seal will blow fork oil on the bike. It could be confused with brake fluid. Just a thought.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:43 AM
Hkguy45
1st Gear

I'd replace the washers too , always have trouble with them when doing power steering work on the cagers

Old 05-22-2014, 01:06 AM
4_stroke
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on the brake fluid. Dot5 is silicone based and does not wreck paint. Most modern Harleys run Dot5.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Thunderhorse
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nevil
Are you sure it's brake fluid? If it's enough to get on the tank you should see where it's coming from. I've seen where a bad fork seal will blow fork oil on the bike. It could be confused with brake fluid. Just a thought.
after looking everything over again last night, I found that the new fork seals are still seating, which is letting oil seep out. this is more than when I bought the bike new and looks like it is blowing off the forks and onto the tank. I'd much rather have this happen than brake fluid.
when it was new, the seals only left a film of oil on the fork tube. This is on the fork tube, under the fork gators, and running down the slider.
I'm going to clean it up and keep my eye on it.

My bike uses DOT4 so it would be damaging to paint. good to know about DOT5 though.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:49 AM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
after looking everything over again last night, I found that the new fork seals are still seating, which is letting oil seep out. this is more than when I bought the bike new and looks like it is blowing off the forks and onto the tank. I'd much rather have this happen than brake fluid.
when it was new, the seals only left a film of oil on the fork tube. This is on the fork tube, under the fork gators, and running down the slider.
I'm going to clean it up and keep my eye on it.

My bike uses DOT4 so it would be damaging to paint. good to know about DOT5 though.
That doesn't sound right to me. Fork seals don't need time to seat to seal. Once they are installed they will seal. A little left over oil from installation isn't uncommon but it shouldn't be enough to run down the fork leg let alone blow off to the gas tank. That seems like an excessive amount. Look at the seal carefully to see if it got nicked during the install.

Last edited by union53; 05-22-2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Unclear even to me :)

Quick Reply: Brake fluid on tank after upgrades?