Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Rode Low Rider at Americade

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 02:11 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,645 Likes on 789 Posts
Default Test Rode Low Rider at Americade

Spent the afternoon at Americade yesterday and test rode a Low Rider, Street Bob, Softail Slim and an Ultra. Also was able to ride a 1200 Sporty for 130 miles but that's another story. Americade at Lake George, NY is cool because they send you out by yourself on a 17 mile course through side roads and back on the Thruway so you get some twisties and inter-state. I am the owner of a 2013 FXDC which I really enjoy. The things I needed to adjust on my bike were the handlebar location ( added the 4 inch HD riser) and seat (Mean City Cycles rebuild). The stock Low Rider's adjustable riser is a great feature. The stock seat felt very plush. The exhaust note was great if a bit muffled. I may be wrong but I swear the Low Rider pulled better than the Street Bob pull through 4500 RPM perhaps due to the 2 into 1 exhaust. It definitely sounded better and was more comfy than the stock single seat on the BOB. Both of them were much better rides than the Slim and the Sporty. As others have said the grips on the Low Rider are same as a Sporty which is smaller in diameter than the norm.

If I didn't own the Super Glide I would be buying the Low Rider without a doubt. The mag wheels, tach/speedo combo, 2 into 1 exhaust, adjustable bars, comfortable seat and just overall looks etc are absolute winners.

BTW the Ultra is like nothing else. If you have not ridden one you have to try it. It's a half of car to maneuver on foot but once it's rolling its just a motorcycle. And where 90 MPH on a Dyna was " invigorating" on the Ultra it was like being on my Lazy Boy. Sick...

Last edited by Antonio Balls; 06-04-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Shizims
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonio *****
If I didn't own the Super Glide I would be buying the Low Rider without a doubt. The mag wheels, tach/speedo combo, 2 into 1 exhaust, adjustable bars, comfortable seat and just overall looks etc are absolute winners.
[mag wheels, dual disk, 2 into 1, tach/speedo] Four things that really stick out to me. I'd consider it. Not crazy about the low stance. I'd have to ride and see. Lighter weight is also a plus (I'm comparing to my FatBob).

Old 06-04-2014, 03:03 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought it was a bike for midgets?

Old 06-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rooti
I thought it was a bike for midgets?
Rooti you have a good memory. I said previously the stock grips are for people with "elfin" hands and the booster seat as well as the super-adjustable bars make it perfect for smallerish people AKA females. I still would switch the grips ASAP. My 5'9" body is perfect for flying fighter jets, racing F-1 cars, playing attack in lacrosse and riding a Dyna with mid-controls. Good things come in smallerish packages.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:38 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya I remembered your initial impression of the low and what the salesman said.

One thing I can't believe is that you did not try out the new road king...I thought you would be all over that b.

PS watch out for the bad witch

Old 06-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by rooti
Ya I remembered your initial impression of the low and what the salesman said.

One thing I can't believe is that you did not try out the new road king...I thought you would be all over that b.

PS watch out for the bad witch
I was on the waiting list for the Road King or Street Glide when the sky opened up. Made it a business trip so only able to steal one day. My mistake was taking a new 1200 Sportster I was offered from 9:30 to 12:30. Could not resist riding alone through the Adirondacks. Went astray a bit and came across a guy who failed to negotiate a sweeper and took a header so had to wait for help. If I knew it was going to rain I would have just ridden every Harley on the 17 mile loop. Live and learn...

Old 06-04-2014, 05:34 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

Yeah, the LR pretty much rocks. That's why I picked one up.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:49 AM
pab3rd
Club Member

Received 213 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by modular
Yeah, the LR pretty much rocks. That's why I picked one up.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:53 PM
5150northrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 206 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm 6'1" with a long body and short legs. My new lowrider fits me better then any of the bikes I have had! I left the grip's and now I'm use to them! I'm glad I bought one!

Old 06-05-2014, 05:24 PM
fugawi
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonio *****
Spent the afternoon at Americade yesterday and test rode a Low Rider, Street Bob, Softail Slim and an Ultra. Also was able to ride a 1200 Sporty for 130 miles but that's another story. Americade at Lake George, NY is cool because they send you out by yourself on a 17 mile course through side roads and back on the Thruway so you get some twisties and inter-state. I am the owner of a 2013 FXDC which I really enjoy. The things I needed to adjust on my bike were the handlebar location ( added the 4 inch HD riser) and seat (Mean City Cycles rebuild). The stock Low Rider's adjustable riser is a great feature. The stock seat felt very plush. The exhaust note was great if a bit muffled. I may be wrong but I swear the Low Rider pulled better than the Street Bob pull through 4500 RPM perhaps due to the 2 into 1 exhaust. It definitely sounded better and was more comfy than the stock single seat on the BOB. Both of them were much better rides than the Slim and the Sporty. As others have said the grips on the Low Rider are same as a Sporty which is smaller in diameter than the norm.

BTW the Ultra is like nothing else. If you have not ridden one you have to try it. It's a half of car to maneuver on foot but once it's rolling its just a motorcycle. And where 90 MPH on a Dyna was " invigorating" on the Ultra it was like being on my Lazy Boy. Sick...

my brother just bought an ultra limited. he calls it "the road sofa"..

Quick Reply: Test Rode Low Rider at Americade