Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you checked your primary fluid lately?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 04:51 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Have you checked your primary fluid lately?

Well men, I took some time this afternoon and finally got around to changing my transmission and primary fluid and BOY, am I glad I did. All that came out of my primary whole was 1/3 qt and it was black. Transmission fluid looked a lot better, but still short 100ml, no big deal. New fluids in, 2 beer job, and man does that feel better.

I'll be doing these at the start of every season from now on. If your not sure what's in your holes, this is a friendly reminder to fill all the holes with fresh fluids - don't forget the OL's!

Old 06-08-2014, 05:05 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your not suppsed to burn primary oil so yous was either not filled or leaked out. For That primary oil to be black your stator must either have been cooked and changed or on it's way. Even dirty primary oil shod have what what was added at the previous change and possibly gray from pressure plate wear and tear.

My 2 cents.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:10 PM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What he said!

Old 06-08-2014, 05:14 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

the tranny and primary should not be low, better be looking for a leak!!
or they were not properly filled to level

Old 06-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

These need to be checked on a somewhat regular basis....like maybe 2500 miles intervals.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Change them both again a couple of times to flush out the crap. Even if you use something cheaper, just ride it enough to get hot and dump the oils and repeat

Old 06-08-2014, 06:17 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,249 Likes on 8,383 Posts

Originally Posted by Tat2u
Change them both again a couple of times to flush out the crap. Even if you use something cheaper, just ride it enough to get hot and dump the oils and repeat

Old 06-08-2014, 07:05 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
These need to be checked on a somewhat regular basis....like maybe 2500 miles intervals.
unless you have a leak why check it so often... Think about the Harley motor compared to a jap bike, jap bike uses the same oil in the gearbox / clutch /engine, hence why it needs too be changed often... The Harley runs 3 separate oil systems motor / primary/gearbox. SO clutch contamination wont go into the motor as a jap bike, And how often does your average car auto trans get its level checked not very often I guess. the primary oil job is too lube the clutch and chain and things, hence why guys run auto trans fluid in there.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:28 PM
c-note
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Leak free. I suspect it was under filled by someone other than me. If my stator was cooked, how would I know without taking the primary cover off? I don't have any battery or spark problems. I'm thinking it got ugly purely because there wasn't enough of it in there. I'll ride it for a month and repeat.

Last edited by c-note; 06-08-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:57 PM
PRODUCTofNJ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by loopie
unless you have a leak why check it so often... Think about the Harley motor compared to a jap bike, jap bike uses the same oil in the gearbox / clutch /engine, hence why it needs too be changed often... The Harley runs 3 separate oil systems motor / primary/gearbox. SO clutch contamination wont go into the motor as a jap bike, And how often does your average car auto trans get its level checked not very often I guess. the primary oil job is too lube the clutch and chain and things, hence why guys run auto trans fluid in there.
Why check it so often? I was going to say 2500 mi isn't often enough? I mean how long does it take to check all 3 fluids? I check em every 1k approximately..it don't hurt to check things. I'd rather not be sorry later.. in a car things can go wrong, and you'll still be fine. In a bike, disasters like that will lead to you sliding on the pavement.

And as far as jap. Bikes using the same oil... It's really no comparison. The trans/clutch/motor on jap bikes are unfortunately much better technology in my opinion, and maybe even better quality. Harleys uses diff. Oils because the components wouldnt fair well using all the same oil..they need diff oils to get the same longevity a bike using the same oil would get.

To the Op, changing your fluids at the beginning of every season even if you didn't hit the reccomended intervals is a good idea. Checking them a couple times per riding season is also a good idea. My bike was very expensive for me, I don't mind spending $100 for everything to change the oils.

Quick Reply: Have you checked your primary fluid lately?