Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compensator talk?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 12:04 AM
jspoon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compensator talk?

I've been reading that the compensator has been replaced on the new 2014 switchback, what's the deal on replacing that on my 13 and how hard is it to do and what is it and where is it and what's the problem with the older ones.
I already replaced the chain tensioner to the hayden.
Thanks

Old 06-12-2014, 12:19 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

AS far as I know the compensator sprocket was upgraded in the 2011 + bikes.
This seems to be the opportune moment to say "if it aint broke don't fix it!"

Old 06-12-2014, 05:33 AM
Tomh1962
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what is it: it's a mechanical sprocket on the crankshaft that does what it does to compensate for the pulsations from the V-twin and give a smoother power transfer to the clutch... (in a nutshell)

Where is it: the front sprocket inside your primary case

Is it difficult to change: Not really, I replaced mine last month in about an hour... it's a little bit of a pain, but doable if you're at all handy with wrenches... you gotta drain yer primary, take the cover off, take the pressure off the chain (compress the tensioner), unbolt the compensator, slide it off, you'll have to struggle with the chain a bit, it's snug, but it will come off. replace in reverse, refill the primary, check for leaks and away ya go...

Now with all that said... I agree with the above statement that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If you have some engine mods planned for the near future, might as well add doing this to the job. The stock one has been discontinued by MoCo, you "must upgrade to the SE one" (what I was told). Or buy an aftermarket one... eitherway, you're looking at approx. $300..

Attached Thumbnails Compensator talk?-compensator-96ci.jpg  

Last edited by Tomh1962; 06-12-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:54 AM
DJY
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Depending on year, you'll have to grind the inner primary to get the rotor out, or move inner primary. The compensator changed in 2011 and again in 2014. The 2014 model requires that you glue oil deflector to outer primary. The 2014 also uses needle bearing thrust washer and has holes in it for oil passage.

Old 06-12-2014, 08:14 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

jspoon,

Some of the above info is partly correct. You have the I believe 2nd revision of the "SE Compensator" with the 'newer' style rotor. The "SE Compensator" was considered an upgrade to the 2006-~2010 Dyna's. Somewhere around 2010-2011, Harley made the SE Compensator the new stock unit from the factory. It suffers from lack of oil lubricating its splines and will wear out 'eventually'. That could be 5k miles, 10k miles, 20k miles, your guess is as good as mine. Evidence of wear are new noises from the primary or via visual inspection there will be signs of fretting.

The 2014 Compensator, or "Big Twin Compensator" is a complete redesign to address the oiling issues. It hasn't been out a year yet so jury is out on if it works. I decided to upgrade to it. For 2014+ MY bikes, the primary cover was re-designed to include a cast in oil scoop to feed the "Big Twin Compensator" oil via the tapered Torx head bolt. IF you ever decide to move to the 2014 unit you'll either A) Need a new outer primary cover with the cast in oil tray ~$180 or B) Adhesive kit and plastic scoop that you glue to your current cover ~$40. Your rotor is good to re-use. No grinding necessary since it doesn't need to come off.

I bought the new outer primary cover and sold my old one for $100 on the forum. Extra $40 cost to get the cast in scoop over an adhesive/plastic doohickey.

All that said, don't fix it if it isn't broken.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:51 PM
JerEasy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it is a warranted repair if you are under one if the dealership opens up the primary and sees "signs of wear" - the issue is from 10 - 13 - 14 got the deflector which will solve the issue. If you are hearing a metal on metal "slapping" from your primary (probably most noticeable in 4th- 5th gear at about 2000 - 2300 RPM) then you most likely have the "wear" they are looking for.

they will put in the Big Twin compensator and add the deflector to your primary using an epoxy. http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...in-compensator

Old 06-12-2014, 12:53 PM
DJY
Road Captain

everything in my last post is 100% CORRECT. Partly correct my a$$.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:00 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DJY
everything in my last post is 100% CORRECT. Partly correct my a$$.
Did I say "all of the above information is partly correct"? Calm down.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:06 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by DJY
Depending on year, you'll have to grind the inner primary to get the rotor out, or move inner primary. The compensator changed in 2011 and again in 2014. The 2014 model requires that you glue oil deflector to outer primary. The 2014 also uses needle bearing thrust washer and has holes in it for oil passage.
I bought the new style comp when I did my 106 for extra insurance.....we'll see how well it holds up.

Old 06-12-2014, 04:02 PM
DJY
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
I bought the new style comp when I did my 106 for extra insurance.....we'll see how well it holds up.
yeah, I am hoping I won't have to do it again for awhile. Time will tell.

Quick Reply: Compensator talk?