Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stage 1 advice on new low rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 06:44 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts
Default stage 1 advice on new low rider

I finally decided to get the new low rider, after several trips to the dealership and a test ride i just gave in. Im going to get the '14 instaed of waiting for the '15, so i can have the new bike for this years Sturgis ride.

I am looking for advice on stage 1 parts

For the air cleaner i know i want something i can put the stock cover on or run it exposed with the small black round disk thing i will be takin off my 06. So here i am leaning toward the SE Stage 1 air intake, but am open to suggestions if there is a better filter

exhaust is the big thing im not sure about. i know i want a 2-1 and the low rider comes stock with one. I don't know anything about the HD slip for it, the only one in the book is the night stick, it is 50 state legal, which i dont know if that means it sucks. It looks like it is made by or immatates the supertrapp exhaust i had on my 87 low rider. Dont know if the HD slip on is worth a dam or if i should shop for a complete 2-1. The price i like .

I want a good 2-1 set up that is not too loud but allows the bike to run as ggod as possible and can handle future engine mods. My 06 has a bub 7 2-1 and it is ok, not great, i have had to weld the bracket acouple times after it broke and it is broke again now.

If there are any tuners that can make a recommendation on a good 2-1.

I will propoply just do the download thing for now and maybe pick up a tuner down the road

Old 06-14-2014, 07:43 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you think the Bub muffler would slip on the Lowrider?

Maybe just do some gutting on the Lowrider baffle or make something up until there are more options available.

You know what will happen...you will buy what is available at the time, then something will come out that you really like.

As a fellow 2006 owner, we all did that as they were developing stuff for our bikes...spent the money two or three times as the stuff came out!

Old 06-14-2014, 07:59 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as the air cleaner I would look into the DK customs just because it doesn't vent back into the intake. If the new lowrider has the cat in the muffler I would just keep the pipe and put a rush muffler on it. The sound is great and you can choose what baffle you want. If you go full exhaust I like the pro pipe but thats because I own one.

When your ready for a tuner, I would look into the new TTS. It has more tunable options then any other tuner on the market and you can self tune it if you choose. If you want to dyno it, I have one of the best tuners around if your close to New braunfels.

If you don't have the cash for a tuner yet, I would get XEID's before I would pay for a download. Some people have good luck with the download, but it's hit and miss.

Congrats on the new bike. Post up some pics

Old 06-14-2014, 08:11 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

don't do not waste a cent on the dealer download. Find out where the cat is in those pipes you need to eliminate that. Between tts and powervision is up to you. All I can say is popularity has the dynojet powervision as #1. There are lots of 2/1 pipes out there. I chose the supertrapp supermeg 2/1 because not only can you tune the exhaust between TQ or HP, but you can also make it quiet or loud with 5 minutes of fiddling!
Air cleaners as far as stage 1 goes I'll leave that up to a personal choice. They all do one main thing and that is let in more air.

( times out of ten slip-ons eventually slip on to a shelf and are then good for book-ends!

Old 06-14-2014, 03:17 PM
bad93snake
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I gotta agree... the Supermeg sounds perfect for you. Gives you the ability to tune t to your personal taste. Just buy an open end cap for it, TOO quiet otherwise.

On the Air Cleaner I like the backing plate of the S&S Stealth, very impressed with design.

Screw the dealer download, trust me my bike had it already when I bought it and it is ****. Call Fuel Moto and talk to them, they're get ya what ya need!

Old 06-14-2014, 03:38 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,841 Likes on 826 Posts

I really like the download. Works great on my bike. I know lots of guys happy with it. Jmho.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:25 PM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I would put on the XIEDs and leave everything stock until you get all your parts together. I would then gets the pipes I wanted, intake, and finally a TTS turner. Save up and Do it right the first time and it's cheaper long term.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:35 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very happy with the v&h propipe and quiet baffle. and the powervison

Old 06-14-2014, 07:48 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ssls6
I would put on the XIEDs and leave everything stock until you get all your parts together. I would then gets the pipes I wanted, intake, and finally a TTS turner. Save up and Do it right the first time and it's cheaper long term.
Can ask a question, why would he leave his bike bone stock and waste 100$ on xied's he will never use? I agree with the rest of your statement however!

Old 06-14-2014, 07:54 PM
Jimbo33
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2week old Low Rider and I have put about 800mi on it. I am also considering stage 1 upgrades after the 1000mi service. I am not a Harley expert, I am still in the learning phase but it seems to me there are considerations beyond the ultimate combination. This bike has a 2year factory warranty. I am concerned that if I do go with better exhaust and air intake that are not Harley official products that I give them an excuse to void the warranty. I am completely open to suggestions on the best Intake/Exhaust/Fuel management from other Harley riders who have done this and if there is enough advantage of non-Harley systems over the Harley then it seems to me that my best path forward may be to wait until the warranty period is over. I expect to put about 8000mi/year on the bike so a solid factory warranty is important to me.

I have no proof where the catalytic Converter is but I would be very surprised if it was in the muffler. Harley sell a "Nightstick" slip-on in chrome for under $300 so it is not likely to have a catalytic converter in it. All told the Harley slip-on, Stage 1 air cleaner kit (~150) and dealer EFI reprogram total well under $1000.

Am I interpreting this correctly? As I have said, I do not have a closed mind and I am open to the experience of people who have made these upgrades.

Last edited by Jimbo33; 06-14-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Quick Reply: stage 1 advice on new low rider