Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive monotubes

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:10 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
Being that the FLD's have 41mm forks, would I be correct in assuming that these would work for the Switchback?
I also wondered about that but I don't know for sure.

However I did find it interesting the 2012 dyna parts book shows cartidges for the FLD, I assumed it was an option at purchase. Item 16 in the photo.

Progressive monotubes-photo.jpg

Old 07-03-2014, 09:17 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by californiafatbob2013
You would be correct Matt, Progressive does not have the monotubes for the FXDF model yet...........

I have been emailing Gerad at progressive for the last 4 months concerning the monotube kit for the Fatbob.

He explained that there was an issue during their R & D with the Fatbob, due to the steeper fork angle and front end weight they were not working to there satisfaction, so they are continuing with the testing and once perfected they will release.

He said it could be another 6 months to a year before this could happen.

Live Free = Ride Free........

Thank you for the clarification. Sounds like they're taking their time to get it right.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:07 AM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Monotubes For Fatbob.....

Originally Posted by mattVA
Thank you for the clarification. Sounds like they're taking their time to get it right.
Well we can only hope so.............

I was really looking forward to giving these a shot on my Fatbob and when they released these for the Dyna models I noticed that their web site had no listing for Fatbob.
So at that point I shot another email to Gerad and he explained what was going on with the Fatbob monotubes. I was bummed, but on the other hand at least they did not release something that was not working........!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they get it figured out sooner better than later, I really want to try these out, they are saying these will work far better than any type of emulator or intiminator....... We will see....

Live Free = Ride Free.........

Old 07-03-2014, 10:08 AM
DesertDyna
Road Captain

Received my kit yesterday and installed. Took the bike out on a ride last night, and Wow! feels like a completely different bike. I purposely hit every manhole cover I could find and took corners that I used to slow down for because of uneven pavement at speed....hardly noticed the bumps. Brake dive is also greatly reduced.

Just to clarify for others: my kit was good for 2000-2005 FXDWG w/ 41mm forks even tho the description says for Softail. Part Number 31-2503. Progressive Tech Support was very helpful in sorting out what would work on my bike. Thanks Kyle & Gerrad!

Install was easy except for those allen screws holding the damper rod to the bottom of the slider, but here are two tips:

1) when the instructions say, keep the tube compressed...do it. There is an oil lock cup at the bottom of the fork that needs to stay in place. When I was cleaning the fork tubes...i pulled the tube all the way up, and the oil lock came loose. Took a bit of jiggling and my rifle bore cleaning rod to get it straight again.

2) Rifle bore cleaning rod with large patches work GREAT for swabbing out the fork tubes after spraying with brake cleaner.

Last edited by DesertDyna; 07-03-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:22 AM
Helomech74
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Anyone know if there's a kit like this for the inverted forks on my 08 SE Dyna? The front end needs some help after replacing the rear shocks with Progressive pieces.

Old 07-04-2014, 08:58 AM
chickenhauler
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertDyna
Received my kit yesterday and installed. Took the bike out on a ride last night, and Wow! feels like a completely different bike. I purposely hit every manhole cover I could find and took corners that I used to slow down for because of uneven pavement at speed....hardly noticed the bumps. Brake dive is also greatly reduced.

Just to clarify for others: my kit was good for 2000-2005 FXDWG w/ 41mm forks even tho the description says for Softail. Part Number 31-2503. Progressive Tech Support was very helpful in sorting out what would work on my bike. Thanks Kyle & Gerrad!

Install was easy except for those allen screws holding the damper rod to the bottom of the slider, but here are two tips:

1) when the instructions say, keep the tube compressed...do it. There is an oil lock cup at the bottom of the fork that needs to stay in place. When I was cleaning the fork tubes...i pulled the tube all the way up, and the oil lock came loose. Took a bit of jiggling and my rifle bore cleaning rod to get it straight again.

2) Rifle bore cleaning rod with large patches work GREAT for swabbing out the fork tubes after spraying with brake cleaner.
Does the bike ride "plush" or stiff? I want a plush ride & really dont push the bike hard....... I know old man. After adding 444's to the rear I see the front needs some help. Thanks, Jim

Old 07-04-2014, 03:14 PM
DesertDyna
Road Captain

Originally Posted by chickenhauler
Does the bike ride "plush" or stiff? I want a plush ride & really dont push the bike hard....... I know old man. After adding 444's to the rear I see the front needs some help. Thanks, Jim
Plush or stiff? I think that would apply more to the rear shocks where your butt is. All of our forks use the same spring/damper/oil technology, and I think its a pretty universal opinion that it sucks. That said...the Progressive cartridges GREATLY improve the feel of the front end...and soak up the bumps... So while not "plush"...definately smoooooooth!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:27 PM
Jeezy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DesertDyna
Plush or stiff? I think that would apply more to the rear shocks where your butt is. All of our forks use the same spring/damper/oil technology, and I think its a pretty universal opinion that it sucks. That said...the Progressive cartridges GREATLY improve the feel of the front end...and soak up the bumps... So while not "plush"...definately smoooooooth!
Thanks for the info, waiting on mine to come in now.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:29 PM
SquidHead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by californiafatbob2013
Well we can only hope so.............

I was really looking forward to giving these a shot on my Fatbob and when they released these for the Dyna models I noticed that their web site had no listing for Fatbob.
So at that point I shot another email to Gerad and he explained what was going on with the Fatbob monotubes. I was bummed, but on the other hand at least they did not release something that was not working........!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope they get it figured out sooner better than later, I really want to try these out, they are saying these will work far better than any type of emulator or intiminator....... We will see....

Live Free = Ride Free.........
I took the plunge on these this week. I wouldn't say they're a slam dunk better than emulators. I think it depends on where and how you ride. Coming from my previous set up of Ricor Intiminators and Works triple rate tunable springs...I would rate the performance of the monotubes as just OK in comparison overall. The performance at high speed on the freeway is much better, but low speed (under 50mph) on bumpy road is pretty harsh. I'm still messing with spacer height to get a better ride since the spring is a one-size-fits-all progressive wind. Even with the adjuster backed all the way off, I had almost no sag at first. I only weigh 155, so heavier riders might be fine with the out of the box set up.

There is no adjustment for rebound or compression, just preload, but for the cost ($336 shipped from M&M cycles), these are pretty hard to beat. I had more than that invested in my previous set up.

The install is a PITA compared to Intiminators and springs (which literally just drop in), but never having to worry about blown seals or change fork oil again is worth the effort IMO.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:53 AM
DutchBob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SquidHead
The performance at high speed on the freeway is much better, but low speed (under 50mph) on bumpy road is pretty harsh. I'm still messing with spacer height to get a better ride since the spring is a one-size-fits-all progressive wind. Even with the adjuster backed all the way off, I had almost no sag at first. I only weigh 155, so heavier riders might be fine with the out of the box set up.
My experience was just the opposite. I found the set up way too soft at first and it took me quite some turns of the adjuster to set the sag right. As you said, maybe it's the weight difference (I weigh 180).

Btw I love your bike, it's one of the best looking Dyna's I've ever seen!

Quick Reply: Progressive monotubes