Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switch from Forward to mid controls

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 02:06 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Question Switch from Forward to mid controls

Made a mistake and got Forward controls on my 2013 Street Bob.
Does any one out there know some one in San Jose, Ca area( 100-200 miles) who would order the parts( example from ebay or from a rider who went to fowards) and convert me. The dealer wants about $2400 or more and I am not sure its worth it at that price.
Thanks,
Roger

Old 06-28-2014, 08:32 AM
MatFink
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does the bike have an access plate through the primary for mids, or did it come without it due yo you getting it with the forwards? if it has the access hole for the mids that price seems ridiculously high for the conversion. If not and you have to get new inner and outer primaries it'll be more but that still seems high. I'm about to go from forwards to mids at my local shop and its gonna run around $750AUD parts AND labour, and thats the chrome bits not the black. Mine originally came stock with the mids so has the access hole with a little blanking plate in it.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:42 AM
HotRod9mm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Switch from Forward to mid controls

If your SB has the mid-control covers it should not be that much to add the controls. Your quote sounds REAL high.
I picked up the controls off eBay for less then $100 and the outer cover for my '13 FXDF right at $100. The only thing
left is the labor if I was not doing the install myself.

Attached Thumbnails Switch from Forward to mid controls-dyna-cover.jpg  

Last edited by HotRod9mm; 06-28-2014 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-28-2014, 02:31 PM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Smile Forwards to Mid control

Originally Posted by MatFink
does the bike have an access plate through the primary for mids, or did it come without it due yo you getting it with the forwards? if it has the access hole for the mids that price seems ridiculously high for the conversion. If not and you have to get new inner and outer primaries it'll be more but that still seems high. I'm about to go from forwards to mids at my local shop and its gonna run around $750AUD parts AND labour, and thats the chrome bits not the black. Mine originally came stock with the mids so has the access hole with a little blanking plate in it.
Mat,
Thanks for the reply. There is no hole. To bad. I wish I had ordered mids. Do you have any idea where I can get it converted. Like Chrome.
Roger

Old 06-28-2014, 02:34 PM
rogersachs
Road Captain

Hot Rod,
No access hole.
Any idea where I can get it reasonably converted.
Thanks,
Roger

Old 06-28-2014, 02:43 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What I did to save $$$ was add the reduced reach adapters for the peg mount, added kury floorboards. Not bad now. I put the FB's at the front hole setting which gave me more leg room and not have me in a strain.
I borrowed a set and made my adapters.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:03 PM
HotRod9mm
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
What I did to save $$$ was add the reduced reach adapters for the peg mount........
Thanks, I like the idea and will give it a try before I change out my forward controls

Originally Posted by rogersachs
Hot Rod,
No access hole.
Any idea where I can get it reasonably converted.
Thanks,
Roger
You might already have the inner primary cover you need(my FXDF does) so I would check that first or have someone
look that knows. You can raise the bike and feel between the frame and the back of your inner primary, opposite from
the hole in the outer cover I posted in the above pic. If you have the hole you only need the outer cover(and gaskets)
and that will help with the final cost. Check around in your area for a local shop for the labor cost.

You can also check the 4 sale section as I've seen the controls listed.

Old 06-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Jules
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I traded once on XLforums for my sportster. Most guys want forewords, when i put the post up that I wanted mids within a few days I had a set here and I was shipping out my forewords. Might be worth a shot here in the classifieds, unless someone here posts up.

I also prefer mids though, sorry I can't help.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:30 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Smile

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
What I did to save $$$ was add the reduced reach adapters for the peg mount, added kury floorboards. Not bad now. I put the FB's at the front hole setting which gave me more leg room and not have me in a strain.
I borrowed a set and made my adapters.
Dirt ,
Thanks for the idea, but I tried that and did not like it at all. I am hoping some one will contact me thats near my area that can convert me over. I really need at least the primary cover replaced and all the stuff that goes into mid controls. Hot, mentioned the inner primary may already have a access hole. Why can't they modify my outer? Drill a hole and some how make a seal.
Still hoping some one will contact me. More than willing to bring my bike to them.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:58 AM
HotRod9mm
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rogersachs
Dirt ,
....... Why can't they modify my outer? Drill a hole and some how make a seal .........
Both inner and outer covers need to have the tower that the shaft passes through to support the shaft. No tower on one cover will not work as there is no support.

Quick Reply: Switch from Forward to mid controls