Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Air Cleaner Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 07:31 PM
frontporchblues
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stage 1 Air Cleaner Question

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere... Anyways... I have a 2014 Low Rider... I would like to see about getting more torque(comparing it to my 2005 FXDCI with full stage 1 upgrades)... Anyways... I was thinking about getting the stage 1 air cleaner and the ECM download when I get my 1000mi service(leaving the stock exhaust). What I don't really want to do now is get the SE slip on. Preference would be to wait until my warranty runs out and get a full exhaust system... Thoughts? Would I again have to have the ECM tuned once I get the full exhaust?

Appreciate the input!

Old 06-30-2014, 07:50 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you would need another download, they are pretty basic. I just had the stage 1 download installed over the weekend. I also have a SE high flow AC and the SE Nightstick slip on with Supertrapp performance core and open end cap. The bike sounds much better and performs a little better than stock. When the warranty runs out (or sooner) I plan on getting a full tuner and full 2:1 exhaust. I am happy with my current set up for now but I know that I can get more out of this bike. All it takes is more money.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:53 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Just wait and do it after warranty if you are worried about issues if problems may arrise. I think you will spend money to gain nothing noticeable vs the cost you will spend. Wait save for a good tuner, pipes, and air cleaner. Or bite the bullet and do it now after break in period is over. The stage 1 download is still lean as hell.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:20 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The stage I download is full of crap and a waste of money. And you don't have to wait 2 years for the warranty to be over.
Until you change the pipe plus the air cleaner you don't even need to re-tune.
However getting pipe + air cleaner + tuner is the way to go. It will cost a chunk but it will all be done and you won't have to stick any parts on a dust collection shelf!

Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 PM
slozomby
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt bother with replacing just the AC unless its doing something like hitting your knee.

i also wouldnt bother with the dealer download. save your money and buy a decent tuner.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:03 PM
slozomby
Road Master

i wouldnt bother with replacing just the AC unless its doing something like hitting your knee.

i also wouldnt bother with the dealer download. save your money and buy a decent tuner.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:36 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by frontporchblues
Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere... Anyways... I have a 2014 Low Rider... I would like to see about getting more torque(comparing it to my 2005 FXDCI with full stage 1 upgrades)... Anyways... I was thinking about getting the stage 1 air cleaner and the ECM download when I get my 1000mi service(leaving the stock exhaust). What I don't really want to do now is get the SE slip on. Preference would be to wait until my warranty runs out and get a full exhaust system... Thoughts? Would I again have to have the ECM tuned once I get the full exhaust?

Appreciate the input!
You can get a little more power out of your ride by just doing the intake and a tuner. But to get the full amount available, you'll need to do the exhaust also.

Here is a link to an objective overview of popular tuning options, including a HD Download, you may find it useful to read the first couple of posts.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

If you get a Power Vision, it comes with auto-tune and you will not need to spend any money tuning the ECM whenever you add/modify to your engine.

See more details on it HERE.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-30-2014, 10:50 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

The MoCo's stage 1 download is crap. I realized it was bad, when I installed my MasterTune... the Stg.1 made that bike vibrate so bad... and really not much help performance wise... but hey, with the straightshot slip-ons, I sounded like I was going faster....

Your engine is an air pump, anything that modifies the flow of air, can hurt or help. If you visualize it as a simple tube, air comes in one end of the tube and goes out the other. You can modify the beginning, the middle or the end of the tube, but if you don't do something to all three... you're kinda just screwing around.

Really think about the whole warranty thing... why are you waiting for the warranty to be up?... I see HD shipping new bikes out the door with full aftermarket systems installed all the time... under full warranty.

My advice, if you like to tinker with your bike... get a good tuner first.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:28 PM
2>4
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are going to cost me a lot more money.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:17 AM
slozomby
Road Master
Smile

Originally Posted by 2>4
You guys are going to cost me a lot more money.
getting off the "EPA Friendly" map is a good thing. i've never see a writeup of any exhaust/ac that didnt also include a tune. masking the true gains of just an AC or exhaust. but i'd put a large chunk of the gains that most stage1 setups provide as being derived from not being on the stock map.

as for costing you alot more money. have you priced the dealer download. if i remember right the dealer near me wanted to charge me a coupla hundred bucks for it. which is half the price of a powervision. and you'll have a good tuner for later down the road when you get around to putting in new cams as well

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Air Cleaner Question