Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD SE primary chain tension adjuster!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 01:22 AM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD SE primary chain tension adjuster!

PN#36500020...who's running one now? Just ordered one from the local HD dealer and would like a preview! I have a 2012 FB! Thanks guys!

Old 07-03-2014, 04:44 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Have read up on this over at the HTT Forum, seems like the SE has a knack for making noise. The Baker manual tensioner is well liked, if I go to manual instead of my Hayden, it will be the Baker.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:08 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

The baker unit gets better reviews than the SE.

After seeing the reviews for the Hayden and for around $120....it was an easy choice.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:39 PM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer

Thank you for the responses! So nobody has got one of these in their bike now! Hmmmm...kinda makes me wonder why! It is a well designed unit and the price is right! I think it will give me that warm fuzzy feeling that it is prolonging the life of my IPB and left main bearings! The way I ride puts no stress on the primary chain at all and the auto-adjuster would have been fine but I keep thinking of the Harley's I have owned before this and the recommended slack of 3/8 to 7/8"! Oh well, I will install it and let everyone know how well it works and the amount of warm fuzzy I get...thanks again.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:05 AM
Mascman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is basically intended for a high HP motor that gets hard shifted...this would cause the stock ratchet type to get locked in a too tight position between the hard shifts. This one would not do that which is great.

I would prefer it over the stock unit, but think that something like the Hayden, which is self adjusting would be perfect for you. It is virtually no maintenance which is nice.

I would think that with normal riding the SE uniit probably wouldn't be too much maintenance either...even on a normal build with a big bore and cams...probably only needs adjusting on a high HP motor that would tend to stretch the chain.

Either way, I definitely would take anything over the stock design.

Old 07-04-2014, 06:37 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

There's a thread here about a guy who went with one of the SE versions and as I remember, it turned out "don't do it, it's a POS". I can't remember who it was but it was someone who posts here fairly often (or at least at the time) and seemed to know what he was talking about. I only say that because I never remember posts or threads that are clearly made by dumb*sses. Could be the reason I can't find any of MY posts

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 07-04-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer

Thanks again guys! I think the guy that posted that it was a "POS" was put off by noise it made after installation! My stocker made noise when the bike was new but broke in after a thousand or so miles and is quiet now! Anyway, the Baker and the SE both attain the goal by a different path and, like you, I don't mind getting in there and doing the adjusting myself!

Old 07-04-2014, 06:42 PM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mascman
I would prefer it over the stock unit, but think that something like the Hayden, which is self adjusting would be perfect for you. It is virtually no maintenance which is nice.
I've linked an article below that explains why the author believes the SE manual tensioner is easier on the engine than the self adjusting type.

http://www.thunderpress.net/editoria...2013/08/21.htm

Old 07-04-2014, 08:40 PM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer

Originally Posted by saddlebag
I've linked an article below that explains why the author believes the SE manual tensioner is easier on the engine than the self adjusting type.

http://www.thunderpress.net/editoria...2013/08/21.htm
That was a good read and exemplifies the point! Not everything latest and greatest is always the best! Progress is 3 steps forward and 1 back sometimes! If noise is the case, then I am willing to make the trade! That slight added noise is the sound of peace of mind to me! Thanks for your time
Bag!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:14 PM
johnnyjellybean
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the SE and landed up switching to the Baker which in my opinion, is far superior. The SE is very noisy........ I'll sell you mine for $100 if you want! It's all about where and at what angle the chain hits the tensioner. The SE unit engages the chain closer to the engine sprocket and at a steeper angle. I assumed that's why it was noticeably noisier (in reality, not just "slight added noise" .....a LOT noisier!!)

PS: The SE unit also sits directly on the primary case bottom where as the Baker unit attaches to the back of the primary like the old OEM units and floats where the chain makes contact

Installed the Baker and never looked back.

Last edited by johnnyjellybean; 07-04-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Quick Reply: HD SE primary chain tension adjuster!