Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel filter change

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 05:05 PM
HoolyNI
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel filter change

Hello all,
Have an 06 fxdci that has been running a bit rough lately, have checked battery connections, spark plugs and both seem ok.
I tried a fuel additive but that seems to have made things worse, bombing along tonight and she was dyin then restarting as I rode along, speedo was dropping to zero and alarm light was coming on, conked out at a set of lights, but started again no problem, getting the odd backfire too.
The fuel filter must be near ready to be changed as am at 21k now, manual says change at 25k, could that be my problem? Is it located inside tank? And is it easy to get at and change or is it a whole dismantling session to get

Old 07-07-2014, 07:10 PM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Check in tank fuel lines. Some have had holes worn in them from rubbing against the tank causing a drop in fuel pressure.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:12 PM
harley66140
Novice

Hello,

The filter is located in the left part of the reservoir.
You must exit the console, access hatch to the tank.
Push the assembly to the tank top.
Then disconnect the electrical connector to the right, the tube after the pump.
Dip a hand in the tank, take the whole rotation to the right, pull itself.
Remove the steel flange.
There are two things to change the filter, the water suction

Last edited by harley66140; 07-07-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:38 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Check your quick detach coupling at the bottom left of the tank. press up the chrome sleeve and just disconnect the hose from the tank , then re-connect it. If that seems to help alot you may only have to replace that peice.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:53 AM
HoolyNI
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WMX124
Check in tank fuel lines. Some have had holes worn in them from rubbing against the tank causing a drop in fuel pressure.
Can't find any holes or leakage so must not be that. If my battery wasn't 100% would be getting surges and dips while riding along? Pulled up at lights this morning and engine just kept roaring then settled down, yet riding along I can feel it hesitant as if there is a blockage in fuel supply...

Old 07-10-2014, 01:56 AM
HoolyNI
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harley66140
Hello,

The filter is located in the left part of the reservoir.
You must exit the console, access hatch to the tank.
Push the assembly to the tank top.
Then disconnect the electrical connector to the right, the tube after the pump.
Dip a hand in the tank, take the whole rotation to the right, pull itself.
Remove the steel flange.
There are two things to change the filter, the water suction

Thanks for detailed response. Have been on with local dealer to price parts for a filter change and some seal I need for tank is actually more expensive than the filter itself...they don't seem aware of the 12 screws that need replaced too...

Old 07-10-2014, 02:00 AM
HoolyNI
Cruiser

Originally Posted by maddghost
Check your quick detach coupling at the bottom left of the tank. press up the chrome sleeve and just disconnect the hose from the tank , then re-connect it. If that seems to help alot you may only have to replace that peice.
Is that the hose that supplies fuel to the engine? Near the horn? Presume the tank would have to be empty before I disconnect that coupling?

Old 07-10-2014, 03:15 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HoolyNI
Is that the hose that supplies fuel to the engine? Near the horn? Presume the tank would have to be empty before I disconnect that coupling?
no once you pull the hose it closes like an air tool. all you get is psh, one or 2 drops come down and that's it. But it is worth trying because my bike was just stalling out even under load and it turned out wear and tear had made my connection weak. just had to buy the new peice, but it's only a 5 second test and that could be all it is for you!

But I'm only saying try it because your problem ( lights go out and alarm icon comes on) usually means ign off position, sounds more like a short in the system. Are you getting any engine codes? check also near the back cylinder under the seat in case you have any wires melted from possible contact.

Last edited by maddghost; 07-10-2014 at 03:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:06 AM
HoolyNI
Cruiser

Originally Posted by maddghost
no once you pull the hose it closes like an air tool. all you get is psh, one or 2 drops come down and that's it. But it is worth trying because my bike was just stalling out even under load and it turned out wear and tear had made my connection weak. just had to buy the new peice, but it's only a 5 second test and that could be all it is for you!

But I'm only saying try it because your problem ( lights go out and alarm icon comes on) usually means ign off position, sounds more like a short in the system. Are you getting any engine codes? check also near the back cylinder under the seat in case you have any wires melted from possible contact.
Thanks, no engine codes and alarm icon has only happened once, mostly its just surging and spluttering, will try pulling hose off later.

Could be the fuel additive has made things worse temporarily or perhaps a bad fill of fuel, will know better after I get this tank ran through her...

Old 07-10-2014, 04:12 AM
HoolyNI
Cruiser

Had trouble with the positive terminal on the battery a while back, but managed to doctor it, am thinking now perhaps I should have just replaced battery. Both it and the 18 month old spark plugs seem to do their job normally though

Quick Reply: fuel filter change