Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Signal Wires

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 PM
SargeFirstClass
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Signal Wires

I have a 2014 Street Bob with Apes. I want to relocated the front turn signals from their factory location to the forks. I noticed that this model has the turn signal wiring inside the wiring looms going to each bar, not separate anymore. So, whats everybody doing out there with the signal wiring? Are you cutting and just fixing up new wires after the signals are on the forks, or removing the factory wiring from the main looms going to each side and run them separate like we would have done in the day? Help!

Old 07-15-2014, 01:02 AM
Ninety8NeonACR
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm not using their kit but I am going to use their plugs (73153-96BK(x2) and 73190-96(x6)) and their instructions.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04390.pdf

Last edited by Ninety8NeonACR; 07-15-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:18 AM
Stressfest
Advanced

As above. Follow the instructions and you can't go wrong...

Plenty of other info around including how to deal with those connectors. Put aside a few hours and have fun.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:38 PM
ShiftyCapone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SargeFirstClass
I have a 2014 Street Bob with Apes. I want to relocated the front turn signals from their factory location to the forks. I noticed that this model has the turn signal wiring inside the wiring looms going to each bar, not separate anymore. So, whats everybody doing out there with the signal wiring? Are you cutting and just fixing up new wires after the signals are on the forks, or removing the factory wiring from the main looms going to each side and run them separate like we would have done in the day? Help!
Cut 'em. "Cap" 'em. Tuck 'em. Re-pin 'em. and connect them up.... There's a little "tidying" up that you have to do, but that's basically the gist of it. There should be a white 3-pin connector and black 3-pin connector inside your frame access. One is the right and one is the left (don't recall which is which right now, but you have a 50/50 shot of getting it right off the bat like I did).

Old 07-15-2014, 06:15 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I shortened the wires then soldered the connection when I moved my wifes indicators on her '13 FXDC.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:10 PM
kreeess
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone made a DIY for this? I wanna make sure I do it correctly before I cut the wrong wires lol

Old 07-19-2014, 11:48 AM
SargeFirstClass
Novice

So I decided to take the controls apart and just see what Im dealing with. I found that the 2014's wiring from the signal goes straight into the switch then from there into the main right and left wiring loom into the bars and so on. In the old days you could just unplug the signals under the tank and pull the signal wiring out at the top and then relocated, change switch out or whatever. I ended up clipping the wires at the switch, relocate the signals to the fork sides, then run a three wire loom from the switch to the light and wire tie that loom to the outside of the bars. I used strobe light looms so the color is grey. It looks OK. I have a new set of signals with black wiring coming then I will unsolder the wires from the switches and run the black wiring ones. Wonder why Harley changed the wiring on the front signals?

Old 07-19-2014, 12:01 PM
kreeess
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SargeFirstClass
So I decided to take the controls apart and just see what Im dealing with. I found that the 2014's wiring from the signal goes straight into the switch then from there into the main right and left wiring loom into the bars and so on. In the old days you could just unplug the signals under the tank and pull the signal wiring out at the top and then relocated, change switch out or whatever. I ended up clipping the wires at the switch, relocate the signals to the fork sides, then run a three wire loom from the switch to the light and wire tie that loom to the outside of the bars. I used strobe light looms so the color is grey. It looks OK. I have a new set of signals with black wiring coming then I will unsolder the wires from the switches and run the black wiring ones. Wonder why Harley changed the wiring on the front signals?
From my understanding as shiftycapone mentioned there should be a 3pin connector waiting on each side of the tank that u can connect the signals to so u don't have to run any wires to the switch? Can someone confirm?

Old 07-19-2014, 05:17 PM
pavespawn
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use the kit for Harley the new reflectors come already wired and you just install them on the forks and run the wires through the frame and plug them in under the tank. The connectors are built into the pre-existing harness.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:28 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 735 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by kreeess
From my understanding as shiftycapone mentioned there should be a 3pin connector waiting on each side of the tank that u can connect the signals to so u don't have to run any wires to the switch? Can someone confirm?
Confirmed.

Quick Reply: Front Signal Wires