Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Fairing or Not to Fairing that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Odelay
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't seem to have the buffeting problem mentioned above, I have tried the HD quarter fairing/Roadawgz screen combo, HD quarter fairing alone, and replica Tsport fairing, all helped tremendously.

I would consider your own riding style and what you want out of the bike when considering wind protection. Looks are subjective, so I can't speak too much to that.

I was definitely anti-fairing to begin with, but as I began to ride a lot faster and take longer trips, wind protection was a big deal. I live in the Bay Area and like to leave on a Saturday morning and ride to LA to see friends at 90+ mph, or jump up to Tahoe/Reno, or down to Fresno to see friends. I have done this without a fairing and with, and can say that my energy level at the end of a long day with a fairing is far higher than without because I'm not getting windblown all day. Not to mention the level of comfort while riding fast is far higher.

That being said, I am a Texas transplant, and most of the guys I know back home in Texas primarily use their bikes for bar hoppers. If I'm just going to cruise around the Bay within 40-50 miles of the house, I'll take the fairing off and just go in the wind.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:33 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,789 Likes on 931 Posts

I have well over 10K on my Rifle Roadster after I chose it when I did a 800 mile run without one.

This last run I took of over 2500 miles was great as it passed through Idaho and Wyoming with 75 mph speed limits mostly in open desert.

The side benefit is you can stash stuff inside the fairing- some have put iPod speakers in theirs.

In the rain, it helps by channeling the rain around your torso- it also is nice in cold weather too.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:45 PM
mrhistory2012
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Dyna with a batwing fairing by memphis shades and during the winter it works like a charm, during the summer I take it off. My friend has a street bob with 16in t bars and the quarter fairing, in reality quarter fairings are not as effective once you pass 60mph IMHO, but they look pretty nice.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:54 PM
Bocefus
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the wind personally. I bought a wind vest screen. Used it 2x and now it's for sale.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:08 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrhistory2012
in reality quarter fairings are not as effective once you pass 60mph IMHO, but they look pretty nice.

In my reality, mine works past 110mph, WA rain, and in +100 or +25 degree weather.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:00 PM
ubersoldate
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SquidHead
Yes, they work. I can cruise all day long at ludicrous speed with very little effort.

Lots of guys will tell you they're just for looks and don't do anything, but take a look at their sig pics before you consider their opinions.

EXACTLY!

I have a rifle roadster, so its a tad bit more than a 1/4 fairing on my dyna, and without it, its just not fun to ride distance.
It made a world of difference to me, far more than I thought it would.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:49 PM
izhd
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Juggerpops
any recommendations, quality ease of install etc.

looking at the Arlen Ness direct bolt on.
I have a ness fairing on my Iron - took me a while to mount it properly. overall seems flimsy and a lots of people complaining it cracks easily.

I got 1/4 HD fairing for my street bob - haven't mounted it yet, but it looks nice and solid. Quick release clamps are good too - can ride without it in town if needed

And yes - if you have 3/4 helmet - those small windshields will throw too much air in the face, no fun at all. I switched to FF a while ago (no problems with ness), but still miss my 3/4 sometimes.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:04 PM
AQA101
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They work quite well at any speed. Mine needed some adjustment to avoid buffeting at first, but works great now at cruising speed between 60-70 mph.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:14 AM
Simplespeed
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait....so, people buy motorcycles and then try to block the wind?

Old 07-25-2014, 03:57 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Simplespeed
Wait....so, people buy motorcycles and then try to block the wind?

It depends on their needs in a road machine.

Quick Reply: To Fairing or Not to Fairing that is the question