Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Dip Stick Puked Out ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 09:15 PM
bearman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Dip Stick Puked Out ?

I've had my 05 wideglide EFI out of commission for the past week and a half. Experienced loose spokes back wheel. With that said I started doing other things while waiting for my wheel. I installed a K&N Air filter, cleaned the throttle body (didn't remove it), and new plugs. She has about 41K miles with no issues! I didn't change the oil as it was still fresh. I test rode her pretty hard and almost got back to garage for a post repair checking. Then I felt something hit my let and looked back and saw dip stick bouncing around on the street. I was under the impression with only the air filter change, no mods were required. What have I done or missed to create this issue? As soon as I got back in garage, I pulled dip stick to check level of oil. It sounded like a lot of pressure was built up in the engine. It did still have oil half way on stick.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:27 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Prolly just an old dipstick. Put a new one in it and see how it goes.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:59 PM
lemonade_07flstc
Extreme HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 276 Posts

Breather could be plugged especially if had quite a bit of pressure plus as soft said new stick may solve the problem.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:16 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Naw I don't believe in coincidense, You must have plugged the oil pan breather tubes when you changed the breather. Those would be inside the two main bolts holding the breather to the juggs. just take it apart and try to find what you did wrong it's hardly rocket science. I can't see why you would need a new dipstick if that one only has a couple of scratches on it, unless it literally tore into 2 pieces.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:11 PM
loopie
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
Naw I don't believe in coincidense, You must have plugged the oil pan breather tubes when you changed the breather. Those would be inside the two main bolts holding the breather to the juggs. just take it apart and try to find what you did wrong it's hardly rocket science. I can't see why you would need a new dipstick if that one only has a couple of scratches on it, unless it literally tore into 2 pieces.
100% spot on buddy crank case breather /vent bolts

Old 08-14-2014, 01:32 AM
1stfxdwg
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default cam chain tioners

just my 2 cents, next oil change pull the cam box cover and check the tensioners. I just did mine at 57k miles. so they were way over due and were completely worn. it did go the 57k though, amsoil motor since it's first oil change is what the po said so im a believer in synthetics. im using the mobil one 20/50 though. I chose to pull rockers/pushrods and stay box stock. the whole task went really smooth, paid an indy to R&R the bearings and install new tensioners "shoes". $320 for the parts/labor and im ready for another 35k miles!. also the new style crankcase breathers were only $18 each and replaced the plastic originals. possibly the umbrella valves/filter media are due for replacement?.

Last edited by 1stfxdwg; 08-14-2014 at 01:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-14-2014, 03:15 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stfxdwg
just my 2 cents, next oil change pull the cam box cover and check the tensioners. I just did mine at 57k miles. so they were way over due and were completely worn. it did go the 57k though, amsoil motor since it's first oil change is what the po said so im a believer in synthetics. im using the mobil one 20/50 though. I chose to pull rockers/pushrods and stay box stock. the whole task went really smooth, paid an indy to R&R the bearings and install new tensioners "shoes". $320 for the parts/labor and im ready for another 35k miles!. also the new style crankcase breathers were only $18 each and replaced the plastic originals. possibly the umbrella valves/filter media are due for replacement?.
Except for the fact this happened to bearman directly after installing his nem air breather system.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:04 AM
bearman
Intermediate

The install of the new air filter didn't require the original bolts that went into the jugs. I plugged the open hole with a bolt each jug. Is this the breather holes you speak of?

Old 08-14-2014, 06:56 AM
kevin_s
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bearman
The install of the new air filter didn't require the original bolts that went into the jugs. I plugged the open hole with a bolt each jug. Is this the breather holes you speak of?
Yes,and that is you're problem,they need to vent.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:06 AM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Ha yup that'll do it.

Your crankcase vents all the way up the jugs and heads out your air filter. The two bolts that secure the air filter to the engine have holes in them to allow this vented crankcase pressure to the atmosphere. Plug those holes, and no wonder your dip stick came flying out.

Quick Reply: Oil Dip Stick Puked Out ?