Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

forward controls on 07 fxd

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 12:53 AM
mdog2222
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forward controls on 07 fxd

So I'm picking up some kuryakyn 2" extended forward controls on friday from the stealership (gotta take advantage of the 10% off) and bringing them to a local chopper shop who just by chance charges $35 dollars an hour less than Henderson Harley. My dyna has mid controls on now. Now with the existing mid controls, the shift linkage comes through the middle of the primary. The chopper shop hinted that removing the inner primary is a huge pain in the *** and is time consuming. Can the shaft that comes out the top of the primary be removed without taking the inner primary off. Here's the quandry.... If the shaft is going to be a problem taking out and will only be pushed back is it worth it to have a pro do the job or should I just do it myself. It seems like most of the time consuming work is removing screws and bolts and re-attaching the brake and shifter linkage. Three hours of time at the chopper shop costs the same as 2 at harley(I don't think they'll try the bullshit "well we washed the bike and that took a half hour"). Guys tell me what you think about this little issue....

Paul

Old 04-08-2007, 01:08 AM
mvinc01
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: forward controls on 07 fxd

I ditched the mids and put the HD Forward Control kit on my 05 SG. It reused the existing shift and brake rods as well as the existing peg. The shaft coming through the primary was capped off with an includedchrome cap w/set screw. The old linkage is then bolted to the lower crankcase and the new shift linkage ran to the newly located shift rod. You may be surprised that this instal is not very difficult, and you can probably accomplish it yourself. Just a thought.

I have heard the shift shaft comming through the primary is a pain to remove, because you do have to remove the outer/inner primary, along with your chain, tensioner, and clutchpack, etc. I figured I would leave it like this until an opporotunity presented itself where I would have to remove these parts for something else later, like a clutch upgrade, or whatever. I don't mind how it looks, as it is often overlooked.

See the pics.

Good luck...by leaving the shaft there temporarily and maybe doing the forward install yourself, you may end up saving yourself some dough to spend on another upgrade that gives you abetter return.

MV

[IMG]local://upfiles/26031/161772AF55D147CFA46EB193DA17B6E0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26031/79F153D9FE7440B6A45CF078214D2EFA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26031/DD7E8D17478746308440B0F7C204D1B8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26031/4E11327A25EC4A748B58202B1278D7DD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-08-2007, 01:19 AM
davidchristopher
Cruiser

There was a change to the bikes from 05 to 06. The shaft cannot be cut out. Inner and outer primary have to be removed. There are 'shortcuts' you can take - do a search. I posted a couple of times on this subject

Old 04-08-2007, 01:22 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts
Old 04-08-2007, 01:41 AM
mdog2222
Tourer

so it seems like installing the forwards comes down to all bolt on except for the shaft from the inner primary. Hacksaw Jim Duggan the thing I guess... No need to even bring it to the shop you think?? Seems like a job for a tall guinness and some hand tools. When installing the brake linkage, the rod looks like it just screws in. Did you even touch the master cylinder for the rear brake?

Old 04-08-2007, 01:57 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: mdog2222

so it seems like installing the forwards comes down to all bolt on except for the shaft from the inner primary. Hacksaw Jim Duggan the thing I guess... No need to even bring it to the shop you think?? Seems like a job for a tall guinness and some hand tools. When installing the brake linkage, the rod looks like it just screws in. Did you even touch the master cylinder for the rear brake?
Read the links I posted above, then remove you original controls, install the new ones, hacksaw the original shaft out, insert a chrome carriage bolt (put a rubber hose on the threads then add shrink sleeving so you have a nice snug fit in to the primary cover), go for a ride, when your done riding then you can enjoy that "tall Guinness"

Oh yeah, you don't have to mess with the rear master cylinder, just loosing the jam nut and turn the other nut until the brake rod comes all the way out.

Old 04-08-2007, 02:27 AM
mdog2222
Tourer

Awesome, yeah I read the links and now I'm pretty psyched. Seems pretty easy. I just don't want to F things up... my 07 super is gonnna ride great now that my knees aren't up in my arm pits. So just pick up the controls and head home i guess. Now do you think a wide glide outer primary cover without the hole would fit on the fxd?

Old 04-08-2007, 02:34 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

Yes the Wide Glide primary cover will fit, you just have to fill the inner thru hole with some silicone sealant and or J.B. Weld.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:35 AM
JayFromPa
Outstanding HDF Member

Easy enough depending on the route you wanna take. I took the easy way and pushed the shaft in flush and hid the inside part of the shaft behind my inner primary. Works for me. Unless your super **** about your bikes appearance, this will save you alot of $$ in labor at the stealer.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:29 AM
mdog2222
Tourer

Yeah jay, I decided to go the way you guys did. I'll probably tuck the shaft behind, look at it awhile, look at it some more and chop it the **** off. WS6 gave me some good advice and I feel pretty confidant about it all. I guess I'm going to plug the hole and keep the blonde primary cover for awhile. Chrome inner and outer primaries when I get around to a race clutch(or something cool like that).

By the way I can't stop thinking about the wide glide front end on ws6's superwide. Damn that is awesome. I've got a lot to look forward to on my project.

by the way ws6 my shop told me that they do a trade for parts deal. Meaning I could trade my stock lower forks for some chrome lower forks that were also stock, that have been sent to a chrome guy. Any experience with that type of dealing, or would you just order hd stuff for full price. The chop shop told me 200 installed. Now I'll probably hold off on that because i'm looking to copy your wide glide front set up and lift the tank (sorry man, its just too cool not to do)

Quick Reply: forward controls on 07 fxd