Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damaged trees

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 06:43 PM
pavespawn
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Damaged trees

So I put my bike down the other day (see post in general discussion) and I've been going over it for damages. What I notice now is my bars turn a little more to the left than the right. The stop on the tree is now mashed in and so I dinged my tank (I think I did this after the fact because I checked the tank before and I felt no dents).

My questions to the experts:
What is the fix for this? I assume it is to replace the tree. If that is the case, I will just get a chrome plated one like I wanted in the first place.

Second, where can I get new trees? I would rather stick with OEM so I am assuming the dealer will have to order it.

Third, how hard is it to change? I am pretty mechanically inclined. I was an aircraft mechanic for years and so far I have done all the maintenance on my bike myself (bars, cables, light relocation, tensioner, etc).

Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 PM
pavespawn
Cruiser

Ok. I found part numbers for lower and upper trees. Maybe I buy new ones and send them to get chromed prior to installation? Now that ding in my tank is going to bug me to no end!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Mr Bentwrench
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For the trees to take a hit, the energy came through the beefy 49mm fork tubes. Hopefully the energy stopped at the shearing fork lock but I'd be checking the neck. With the tank removed, look carefully at the top and sides of the backbone in the neck area looking for straight, square and level, no deflections in the side gussets and no evidence of any paint crackes. Oh yeah, check your axel too. I'm doing a salvage '07 FXDX now so I can tell you what bad is!

Honestly, even if it isn't perfectly square and at '0', if it rides out ok, just keep on riding.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:00 PM
pavespawn
Cruiser

It looks like the damage to the tree occurred when the bars slapped hard to the right. The stop in the frame mashed in the block on the tree. It rides true it just allows the tree to contact the tank.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:29 PM
1stfxdwg
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default wire feed/build up

use a wire feed and build the tab back up to the extent that it will not allow the bars/fork to contact the tank. as stated earlier as long as there are no stress cracks in the frame head to backbone/downtubes than replacing the tree imo isnt necessary. use a dremmel to clean up the weld and it will be good as new. and you wont have to pull it apart. wrap a wet towel/rag around the frame head to shield the splatter and the small amount of heat that may radiate. just do small tacks until you build it back up. are you sure the frame stop isnt tweaked?. the photo dosent look as though the tree is crushed that bad.

Last edited by 1stfxdwg; 09-01-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:45 PM
pavespawn
Cruiser

The tree rides up onto the stop by about an 1/8". Doesn't look like the frame is tweaked at all (as far as I can tell). I don't have a welder so I may take it to an indy to get that fixed. Thanks for that advice! Wish the tank ding was that easy to fix.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:28 PM
1stfxdwg
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default paintless dent repair

go to your local used car lot and ask who they use for their ding repair. they will use a rod and can probably access through the fuel sending unit hole or the filler hole as long as it isnt creased. ill guess $35. ill catch shi* for this advice but jb weld is a life saver, simply epoxy a 1/8 shim on the bad side of the stop it will prevent the tree from banging the tank for now. the stop is only used when parking the bike or crashing it.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:50 AM
rallsqh
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a set of OEM trees from a 08 Fat Bob that might fit your bike that I need to get rid of. PM me and we can work something out.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:58 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i would be intrested in your stock trees for a display here in the shop

Old 09-02-2014, 05:09 PM
pavespawn
Cruiser

Are Fat Bob trees the same part number?

Quick Reply: Damaged trees