Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Side Cover Install???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 09:10 AM
BobberG
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Transmission Side Cover Install???

Hey guys, I'm swapping out my tranny side cover and, for any of you that have done this, I'm sure you know rethreading the clutch cable into the new side cover is...

Anyone know of a technique to get this damn thing on!?

So far I've held the clutch cable still and tried rotating the cover around the thread but it just never bites. It's just hard as hell to find the right angle of the thread........

Old 09-03-2014, 10:07 AM
sisson16
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i had mine off this winter i had a hard time and fought it for a while. I went in thru the back side with a tap and it threaded right up.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Hero
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Battled mine for a while, walked away & when I tried again it grabbed on the first try. New clutch cable turned out to be too short so I had to repeat the process again 2 days later. Again, went in very easy. I think it's just a matter of slight variations of degrees. Is your clutch adjuster backed off allowing cable sleeve to rotate freely?

Old 09-03-2014, 02:05 PM
BobberG
Tourer

Yup, the adjuster is backed out to give some play on my end. I read on this a bit yesterday and everyone else had said it just takes time due to the weird angle like you're sayin. I figured that was it so I went at it for 20 minutes and said F*** it.

So Sisson, you sayin that the thread was a little outta whack and once you tapped it, it was fine?

Old 09-03-2014, 03:13 PM
fattybob
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem when replacing my clutch cable. Not sure how, but I kept trying and eventually got it threaded. I used a thread chaser to verify the threads were not messed up too and it was still hard to get the cable threaded. Be patient and keep working the angle.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:20 PM
sisson16
Cruiser

They didnt look messed up but i had ran out of trying diff ways and was getting fed up so thats what i tried. Wont hurt anything if u go in from the back side just threads in. Like i said threaded right up after i did that

Old 09-03-2014, 03:28 PM
BobberG
Tourer

Alright then, looks like I'm chasing the thread from the backside and praying it helps. Thanks for the input fellas.

Old 09-03-2014, 03:32 PM
BobberG
Tourer

BTW any other ideas out there, I'm all ears!

Old 09-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer

Originally Posted by BobberG
BTW any other ideas out there, I'm all ears!
Ya gotta hold yer mouth juuuuuuust right. Odd, I have never had a problem with this! Just dumb luck! Take yer time, and if ya get pissed...go have a coupla beers and smile next time ya try! Good luck!
Oh! Take a really close look at the starter threads on the clutch cable collar! Sometimes they get folded over during shipping! If they are buggered up, use a small flat bastard to dress them! Be sure to watch your *****...there are 3 of them ya know!

Last edited by Id.Fat Bob; 09-03-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:42 PM
oldwarrior
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just went through that two weeks ago with about 20 tries at it, stood back popped a Blue Moon and really looked at the angle that it has to go to thread on, held the cable firmly and started threading the cover on, it went on the first try, ran it about 4 threads set the cover down and finished the Blue Moon.

Quick Reply: Transmission Side Cover Install???