Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

rear fasia and ultra Tour pak

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:24 AM
rmack888
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear fasia and ultra Tour pak

looking for some suggestions. I have a 2009 Road Glide that I have installed the street glide rear fasia using the tour pak light plug in that runs along with the rear antenna wire Now I also want to add the Ultra tour pak with the lights, and wondering What most guys doing to get the tour pak lights working as well

Old 09-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Before I get to the harder solution, remove your tail light and see if the upper left chamber (3 pinouts) has a connector already there. If not, use that for the SG fascia LED. You'll need to change the connector on the LED harness and the wire terminals, but it makes for a neat installation. However, that chamber may be used for the LED lights in the turn signal bar if it's the same used on the SG. In that case, you can simply splice the fascia LED wires to those license plate LED wires. Basically, you are going to disconnect the fascia LED from the bike's tour pak harness and use the tour pak harness for the Ultra TP's lights, and use the connector behind the tail light for fascia LED.

Another alternative, if to buy HD's turn signal conversion kit which uses the rear light harness under the seat for the tour pak lighting and you can leave the fascia LED as is (and your tour pak tail lights will be run/brake/turn:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...rsion-kit.html

Also, take a look at post #3 in this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...a-tourpak.html

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 09-29-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:20 PM
rmack888
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Harleypingman for the info

Old 10-02-2010, 04:36 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

You're welcome. When you finish your project and have a couple of minutes, write-up what you did (with pictures if you can) and start a new thread on what you did.

Carl

Old 10-14-2010, 12:57 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Harleypingman... the HD conversion kit you speak of above; I have an 09 Ultra obviously all stock wiring so my tour-pak is run and brake lighting. if I purchase this, will i be able to plug my tourpak connector into it and use the tour-pak lights as run, brake, AND turn?

Old 10-14-2010, 05:04 PM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You should find the #45 position empty to connect the fascia light to.

Attached Thumbnails rear fasia and ultra Tour pak-tail-light-sockets.jpg  
Old 10-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Harleypingman... the HD conversion kit you speak of above; I have an 09 Ultra obviously all stock wiring so my tour-pak is run and brake lighting. if I purchase this, will i be able to plug my tourpak connector into it and use the tour-pak lights as run, brake, AND turn?
Yes, the tail lights, but not the side marker lights, will function as run/brake/turn signals. I wrote-up my installtion with pictures in this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...rsion-kit.html

Carl

Old 10-15-2010, 08:43 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

ah ok.. i detailed the bike last night and pulled the seat off finding that I already had installed this and changed my rear lights to turn, run, brake.. will it hurt to tie in the tour pak lights also?

Old 10-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

UN, not sure what you mean by "tie in" the tour pak lights. I have both the rear turn signal run/brake/turn signal conversion kit, and the tour pak conversion kit on the bike and everything works fine. That's explained in my thread above on installing the tour pak conversion kit.

If you're asking can you use the turn signal run/brake/turn signal module for the tour pak lights, I don't know. I did use that module to change the saddlebag spoiler LED's to run/brake/turn signals by splicing the brown and violet wires to the blue wires of the spoiler LED's.

Pull out your service manual and check the wiring diagrams for the rear lighting and you'll see what's involved if you want to try with the turn signal module only.

Carl

Old 10-15-2010, 12:59 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

ah.. i was confused.. so there's a conversion kit strictly for the tourpak then in addition to a conversion kit for the rear lights...