Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

RSD Fuel Indicator and H-D Digital Speedo

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 12:35 AM
deacon000
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSD Fuel Indicator and H-D Digital Speedo

I just had my local Harley shop install a couple of new items on my '15 FXDB and they ran into some issues that they haven't been able to figure out. Thought I'd see if anyone here has any ideas.

The two parts that aren't working together:
- H-D Digital Combination Speedometer / Tachometer - P/N 70900475
- RSD Radial Fuel Level Indicator Cap - P/N 0703-0602

When I first picked the bike up the fuel indicator worked properly but the speedo/tach didn't register changes in fuel level or range to empty. Took it back and was told that I could use either the RSD fuel indicator OR the fuel gauge on the speedo not NOT both. Frustrating, but chose to go with the gauge on the speedo.

After they worked on it for a bit they told me the light on the RSD will have to remain on and they can't turn it off. More frustration but I don't get upset easily. Ok, guess I'll just black it out with some paint. Rode off, happy that my shiny new speedo will be working properly. After about 45 minutes of riding I realized that the fuel gauge on the speedo was still not registering fuel levels properly (still showed 100% full tank when I had put in about 75 miles since last fill-up) and the range was still where it was when I left the shop.

So now I'm in worse shape than I started. Fuel gauge and range still not working on the new speedo and my low fuel light on the RSD cap is always on.

I've searched the forums and the Google but can't find anything that helps. The tech said (prior to riding away today and me discovering current issues) that it has something to do with the resistance in the wiring of the fuel sensor. Any ideas on what's happening here and how to fix it? I've resigned myself to being ok with just having the fuel gauge on the speedo and the RSD being a (expensive!) dummy cap with the light blacked out with paint.

This is on a 2015 Dyna Street Bob.

Thanks!

Old 05-06-2016, 09:33 PM
tlminh
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

anyone else have this issue?