Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Rear blinker load

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 10:03 PM
aenemated
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear blinker load

Hey guys - so, I have a problem that's vexing me STILL and I'm hoping someone might have an idea.

I've got a '96 Springer I rebuilt late last year and pretty much everything is awesome. Except one thing - my rear blinkers.

I don't have any up front. They weren't there when I bought her and while I wouldn't necessarily mind them, I just couldn't find anywhere I think they'd look alright. So I'm only running rear blinkers.

I've pretty much redone all the wiring and the only thing left is - my rears don't blink. They light up just fine, but don't blink. I know the blinker module needs a certain load draw to work, so I swapped out the basic 2357's for H1157's as I'd read they draw more current.

Which may or may not be true - all I know is they're definitely brighter but still not blinking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-20-2017, 09:05 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

the correct incandescent lamps should work just fine so no need to add more load.

If they are getting brighter when you select turn, that pretty much eliminates wiring to the lights so I would look to see if not having the front signals is the problem first...find the front wiring and put a load resistor or a light bulb across one side and see if it blinks...I have never checked to see if they will blink with an open circuit on the front like you have.

Then there is always installing a run/brake/turn signal conversion module and red lenses on it.