Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Are TSSM modules interchangeable

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 07:08 AM
Jeffrey Long
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are TSSM modules interchangeable

Does anyone know if the TSSM modules are interchangeable? To be more spacific, there are a lot of years that share the same plug, and the modules look exactly the same, but the part number is a little different on the end.
OK here's my situation, I need to replace the tssm (and possibly a few other things) on my 03 FXDL Dyna low rider (anniversary, if that matters) and I don't have a lots a money to spend so I checked out ebay and they've got all kinds, and they all look the same, but numbers on the end are slightly different.

Now, I've seen ones that are listed that are (supposedly) for the same year and model as mine, but the numbers are different. I've also seen ones that were listed that were from a different year and model (04 roadking)as well as same year different model (03 roadking)but the p/n was exactly the same as mine.

Can anyone tell me how important it is that these numbers match or are they fairly interchangeable since a lot of them share the same plug design?
Thank you!

Last edited by Jeffrey Long; 02-24-2017 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Break the text into more paragraphs
Old 02-24-2017, 03:35 PM
PeterV
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

It's important.
some are for international models, some are for Cal only models, some have a security module (TSSM), some don't (TSM)
Go for the identical part # that you have now

Old 02-25-2017, 05:07 PM
Jeffrey Long
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PeterV
It's important.
some are for international models, some are for Cal only models, some have a security module (TSSM), some don't (TSM)
Go for the identical part # that you have now
thank you! I just think it's kinda strange that there are so many different part numbers for this module. Even if it's the same year, same model. Or that it can be the same part number on a different year, different model. Thanks again for the advice

Old 02-25-2017, 11:40 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Some part numbers have changed, there are really only 4 real categories of TSSM's: HDI, Japan, TSSM, TSM. As part numbers change the newer ones tend to be backwards compatible. Go to your parts manual then go to the shop.newcastlehd.com site and look at the "If part number doesn't come up, check here to see if number changes" link on the main page. Search through the PDF file for the part number that you previously obtained, you may see that the part was superseded by another part which was then superseded by yet another. I was surprised to find that my 05 Softail Deluxe's current part number for the siren was actually the 07 model of the part.

Last edited by Zanthamos; 02-26-2017 at 12:22 AM.