Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

Have you had crankshaft problems on a 2007 or 2008?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 11:29 AM
skifrik
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you had crankshaft problems on a 2007 or 2008?

I have a 2008 Road King, and it has had a severe vibration from idle to wot since it was new. It's at the dealer right now. The Tech working on it says it the worst he's seen, and got MOCO to approve the run out check on the crank. Here's where the fun begins....the service manager said to just tell me it had been done and within specs. A person told me there that it never was done. So when I went to pick up the bike I asked for the specs, which they could not provide. So I called MOCO, and told them what happened and an hour later I got a call from the service manager that they just did the run out check and that it was out by .004 on the right side. When I asked him about why he told me it had already been done. he said that was some mis-communcation. My questions are these. How long does it take to do the run out check on the right side? I still find it hard to believe it was done. Next, how many of you have had Crankshaft problems. and what was your final outcome? And third, what were&nbsp\\;the symptoms of your bad crank?&nbsp\\;

Old 07-04-2008, 03:28 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Have you had crankshaft problems on a 2007 or 2008?

This is a problem the MoCo is trying to get away from.I dont think the head in the sand approach is going to work.Sure they have replaced many engines under warranty and have upped their runout specs to their advantage but the new higher spec isnt going to let the oil pump survive and ride quality is going to be affected,plus your new ride purchase is going to be junk in a shorter time.Guess this is a way to sell you a new bike sooner.My bikes runout is just shy of .003" on cam side and vibrations havent bothered me yet,my oil pressure still is good.Your bikes runout should have been measured from both sides of crank.It sounds like the dealer was caught in a lie or didnt measure your runout correctly.You may have to pay out of pocket for a true measurement and then lay that info on the MoCo right or wrong from first reading.I cant wait to see the postings on this once warrantys run out.The 08s have alittle working on their side vs the 07s and have been waiting to hear from the 08 owners.Everyone thinks that it take a big motor for this to occur but has been posted otherwise.Your case looks like one of these.The owners with runout problems need to start filing with NTHSA to make HD listen.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:34 PM
skifrik
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I went to the dealer today to varify the run out check, after they called me to say it was in limits. I asked them to show me the check while the bike was still apart and the tech couldn't figure out how to do the check. He couldn't even figure out how to mount the dial indicator so it wouldn't move. SO, I called MOCO again and told them that the info they were told was bogus. I'll find out tommorrow what they are going to do about it.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:05 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Sounds like that dealer has a bad poker face,I would make a call to the state police,the BBB and then call hds customer service after the first two.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:41 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Runout is measured with a dial indicator that is perpendicular to the pinion shaft.&nbsp\\; There is a HD service bulletin on how to check and what is acceptable limits, that being .012 on each end, pinion and output shaft end for a total of .024.&nbsp\\; I can tell,you that I dont believe an engine will ever get to that amount of runout and not grenade long before.&nbsp\\; It sounds like you really have the cream of the crop working on your bike, watch them carefully!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:46 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: skifrik

[the tech] couldn't even figure out how to mount the dial indicator so it wouldn't move.
That is rich!

But, as I always do, I'll play the Devil's advocate here and suggest it could have been a different tech than the one who checked it earlier (who for whatever reason was unavailable at the time you showed up).

Old 07-09-2008, 10:44 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We have seen brand new bikes with less than a 100 Miles have , the same problems. Vibration, buzzing, when the crank was checked it was .008 on the pinion, and .010 on the sprocket. That bike had less than 60 miles on it. Another was a softail, that was under 400 miles the bike buzzed so hard you could not keep your feet o n the pegs over 2500 rpm. Those two and several others the dealer is going with HD specs and leaving the customer to deal with the " no problem found answer"&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
To make matters worse the quality of the after market cranks from both Jims and S&amp\\;S leaves much to be desired. Many are of the cranks are not set up as tight as they should be.&nbsp\\; SO at this point we are having Hobans prep all of the Jims and S&amp\\;S cranks as well. On almost every one thus far&nbsp\\;has needed a &nbsp\\;larger crank pin to get into a correct spec.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Beign that the crank is not a easy part to remove and install better to play it safe and the crank work done, as well add the timken conversion while you are in the lower end and forget about the crank and enjoy riding.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:24 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: HDWRENCH
..., as well add the timken conversion while you are in the lower end and forget about the crank and enjoy riding.
This is the real problem isn't it?&nbsp\\; When they assembled engines with the two tapered Timkens, they had to take the time to do it right, but with the switch to the roller bearing it's too easy to just slop it together and call it good.&nbsp\\; But that was the whole point to the switch, right?&nbsp\\; Speed assembly, make more money, cheapen the bikes, and to H with the customer, not to mention the quality and reputation of the brand.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 AM
HDWRENCH
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I think that most would agree that the quality has not improved in the T/C in the past couple of years.&nbsp\\; Not much that can be done though. Fix it and move on.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:15 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

Most of the lastest magazine issues have touched on this subject yet havent&nbsp\\;stated the cause like HDWRENCH has.The lastest issue of Baggers and Hotbike to name two.It doesnt take an aggressive rider to cause this or a bigger build,its happening to stockers yet the other would make chances happen easier.The timken setup is needed along with truing,welding and or pinning unless a better aftermarket crank is offered by one of these vendors which I hear is in the works.

Quick Reply: Have you had crankshaft problems on a 2007 or 2008?