Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

A bit disapointed

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Billyram
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A bit disapointed

I haven't been a fan of the looks or sound of 2 into 1s but like performance gains. So I picked the RB Racing LSR for it's looks and potential perfomance gains. After a 12 week wait it doesn't look too bad on the bike or sound too bad either but a bitch to tune. As far as fit and finish this thing is flawless and the welds are a work of art. With just a straight through louvered muffler with no baffle there was a severe dip arround 2800 rpm that took quite a bit of time to straighten out but not all the way. "Just too severe to tune all the way out." My stock pipes with Cycle Shack slip ons must be hard to beat with the LSR only making insignificant gains in peak #s but loosing a bit below 3000 rpm all though SOP feels like it pulls harder in the upper RPMs than what the dyno shows.
Billy

Old 11-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Timi
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offence, But you got what you paid for.
The big hoop la about exhaust is "Bob runs this and he has a fast bile, I think I'll try that"
Hey lets be honest, I did it many times, "drag pipes" 2>1 Lightning clappers, and on and on.
If you can weld and fab, I challenge you to duplicate any other maunf's designs with simple and strategic placement of stepped piping and a flowing collector into a nice muffler.
Get a copy of this book, It will help you in so many ways in this arena!!
"SCIENTIFIC DESIGN OF EXHAUST & INTAKE SYSTEMS" Third edition, by: Philip H. Smith and John C. Morrison.
THE POWER IS IN THE MIND, Its getting it to the hands thats the hard part, for some.
Good luck

Old 11-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Billyram
Tourer

I did pay a little more and had to wait a good bit more than ordering one off the shelf but I ended up with a very nice looking pipe. I had a very good running pipe on the bike that didn't look too good and wanted something nicer without loosing performance. There are some nice looking 2 into 2s out there that sound great but won't perform as well as what was on the bike. The pipe did tune out and runs great on the street and better in some places than the old pipes. I just had my expectations set a bit high.
As far as buying the material and equipment to fab pipes. And the trial and error I'll leave that to some one else.
Billy

Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Pistonman1
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 2012 FXDB, and am thinking about an LSR exhaust, one of these cams ,(48-583 222) and intake with a powervision tuner.
I wonder if good running is possible without dyno time.
What finish did you get, and how about a pic

Old 11-11-2012, 04:13 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,961 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Billyram
I did pay a little more and had to wait a good bit more than ordering one off the shelf but I ended up with a very nice looking pipe. I had a very good running pipe on the bike that didn't look too good and wanted something nicer without loosing performance. There are some nice looking 2 into 2s out there that sound great but won't perform as well as what was on the bike. The pipe did tune out and runs great on the street and better in some places than the old pipes. I just had my expectations set a bit high.
As far as buying the material and equipment to fab pipes. And the trial and error I'll leave that to some one else.
Billy
Hey Billy, we have our Thunder Torque Inserts installed in dozens of different pipes, ALL with an improvement in HP and Torque.

We do NOT have any installed in an LSR. If you are interested in trying some out to see if you get an improvement, send me a PM.

I am very curious to see if they will improve an LSR.

Thanks!

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Billyram
Tourer

Originally Posted by Pistonman1
I have a 2012 FXDB, and am thinking about an LSR exhaust, one of these cams ,(48-583 222) and intake with a powervision tuner.
I wonder if good running is possible without dyno time.
What finish did you get, and how about a pic
You don't have to put it on a dyno but I highly recommend it. I have found you can cover most of the range by Smart Tuning but 80% and above throttle is quite difficult to gather data. I had mine running Quite well except for the dip @ WOT before hitting the dyno.
Billy

Old 11-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Billyram
Tourer

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Hey Billy, we have our Thunder Torque Inserts installed in dozens of different pipes, ALL with an improvement in HP and Torque.

We do NOT have any installed in an LSR. If you are interested in trying some out to see if you get an improvement, send me a PM.

Thanks!
Those look like something that would work to help tune a pipe. I may be trying one but I just want to ride for now. The LSR is 3" and I would have to drill a hole for the insert.
Billy

Old 11-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Billyram
Tourer

Kevin I sent you a PM and ready to try the inserts. My pipe is almost 3" OD so the ID is a little under 2-15/16". Should I get the 258 W or the 158 W ?
Thank you
Billy

Old 11-20-2012, 06:23 PM
jpace024
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom

Thanks!
They definitely helped with my Bassani Road Rage, very similar pipe to the LSR "B" style pipe. Low end torque had a marked improvement in the SOP dyno, with no loss on top. I went with the middle size I believe.

Last edited by jpace024; 11-20-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Billyram
Tourer

Originally Posted by jpace024
They definitely helped with my Bassani Road Rage, very similar pipe to the LSR. Low end torque had a marked improvement in the SOP dyno, with no loss on top. I went with the middle size I believe.
I hope it will quieten it down a bit at cruising speed too.
Billy

Quick Reply: A bit disapointed