Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:43 AM
bjstabio
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

I have an oil leak in my 06 Deuce but I can't see exactly where it’s coming from. It is not the original motor and has leaked since my builder finished it. I would take it back to him but he's hundreds of miles away. The leak is coming from the back of the rear cylinder behind the oil tank. There is something with electrical wires attached to it in that area and I think that's where the leak is. Can someone tell me what that thing is? My guess is its some kind of sending unit. Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:53 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by bjstabio
I have an oil leak in my 06 Deuce but I can't see exactly where it’s coming from. It is not the original motor and has leaked since my builder finished it. I would take it back to him but he's hundreds of miles away. The leak is coming from the back of the rear cylinder behind the oil tank. There is something with electrical wires attached to it in that area and I think that's where the leak is. Can someone tell me what that thing is? My guess is its some kind of sending unit. Thanks for any help you can give.
Since the rear cylinder is in front of the oil tank, "from the back of the rear cylinder behind the oil tank" isn't helping with the location; a photo would be very helpful. However, sense you have indicated that there is a wire connected, I will take a stab at guessing that the leak may be coming from the speed sensor. It is attached with a single fastener which could be loose. That sensor is sealed with an o-ring which could be also leaking.

Post a picture and we can pin it down.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:03 AM
bjstabio
Novice

Thanks, I'll post a picture in a couple hours.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:53 PM
bjstabio
Novice

OK, been trying to add photo to my post. I've uploaded the photo to my album but I can't find a BB code associated with it. Do I have to create the code?

Old 09-25-2014, 09:12 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by bjstabio
OK, been trying to add photo to my post. I've uploaded the photo to my album but I can't find a BB code associated with it. Do I have to create the code?
Don't know. I use Photobucket and post photos from there; the only way I have ever done it.

Old 09-25-2014, 09:16 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

If you right click on the photo in your album, you should be able to "copy URL" and paste it in the upload photo icon at the top of a message window- it's the one with the mountain in it. Hope this helps.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:23 AM
bjstabio
Novice
Default Oil Leak

Originally Posted by QC
If you right click on the photo in your album, you should be able to "copy URL" and paste it in the upload photo icon at the top of a message window- it's the one with the mountain in it. Hope this helps.
Thanks! This is the area of the oil leak, not the specific location. What is the best way to access this area?

Old 09-27-2014, 08:55 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Your link won't open. You should be able to post the photo without a link; keep trying.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:08 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

If the leak is on the right side, my guess is the elbow hose that goes from the tank down to the drain plug. The new replacement hose is one piece versus the factory 2 piece hose that came on the bike.

Kind of bitch to get at, but can be done without removing the tank. I used a tin snips to remove the crappy Harley clamps and used worm clamps with the new hose.

Also, be sure to drain the oil before removing the hose.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:49 AM
MSP Dan
Cruiser

I can view the pic by right clicking on it and then clicking "view image in new tab." After viewing it I would have to guess that HDmikie is on the right track.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak