Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

1997 fatboy 80ci. To a beast

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:42 AM
Chanse
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 fatboy 80ci. To a beast

I have a stock 80ci with Samson cannon pipes on it and I want to beef up my power and cam, so that I have the ability to pop a wheelie with a quick roll of the throttle. But I wanna only spend $1000 MAX.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:56 AM
Dun Roamin
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've had the answer for what it takes.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...wer-horse.html

Can you install a cam, swop pistons, set up carb & ignition?

Try a 21T compensator sprocket kit first, it's about $100s.

Whose going to do the work?

Look a guy just post his dealer wants $880 to fit a pair of handlebars and you want someone to wave a magic wand over your bike for $120 more?

Old 01-16-2015, 05:29 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

As Dun Roamin said, that 21T engine sprocket will create a huge increase in acceleration, but it will not make any more power, just apply the mechanical leverage of the gearbox differently.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:07 AM
Dun Roamin
Banned

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
As Dun Roamin said, that 21T engine sprocket will create a huge increase in acceleration, but it will not make any more power, just apply the mechanical leverage of the gearbox differently.
Well, he did ask for a wheelie this time ... it's a cheap mod that should be within the means of anyone with a set of sockets and a manual.

Chase, there are folks here that will help you, and those like Hillside who offer excellent services, but you've asked the question twice now. A question that's been answered a 100 times here.

Can you do the work, or do you need to pay for it? Help us help you by telling us what you can do.

Grab a used free flow carb filter on Ebay, a CV Performance carb kit, and start tinkering. Are you ready to install a cam and/or take the heads off? If not, you're stuck with gearing or saving up. A shop might charge you, say, 4 hours to do a cam install (or less labor but another $150 on new pushrods), so there a big difference if you can DIY.

Last edited by Dun Roamin; 01-16-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:24 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

1000.00 aint much for any real performance mods.as far as just gearing,thats fine as long as you dont mind ruining and high way cruising

Old 01-16-2015, 07:15 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

I believe those late model 80" Softails came with an enemic 65T r/pulley, and could be one of the reasons the OP is in search of more, as they just plain felt sluggish.(they were!! hehe)
Changing out to a 21T engine sprocket/chain kit, will only bring that overall ratio to at/near 3.37, which is actually an OEM ratio that FXR's, and FL's had in the '90's, and the same as what the T/C Marelli baggers had.
We used to convert the carbed T/C's to the Marelli clutch basket/comp sprocket quite often about a decade ago, when performing an engine upgrade to those.
Scott

Old 01-16-2015, 08:31 AM
Dun Roamin
Banned

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
1000.00 aint much for any real performance mods.as far as just gearing,thats fine as long as you dont mind ruining and high way cruising
And there's the crunch back to earth ... although "ruin" is a little hard.

the aim of making your Fat Boy wheelie is not the same as making it a better, faster motorcycle in the real world.

Scott puts his finger on the most obvious problem, the gearing. Doing the comp sprocket is cheaper and less work than doing the rear pulley and belt to a 70T (... but doing the the rear pulley and belt to a 70T is arguably better).

Chase, are you with us on this? I do not want to patronizing you but try and work out what you understand. Do you understand why we are looking at the gearing first?

If $1,000 goes just on parts ... and you shop wisely ... you can do quite a lot but if it is parts and labor, it won't go far.

Another question ... honestly, what do you use your bike for? How many miles a year doing what, e.g. bar hopping or interstate cruising?

Old 01-16-2015, 08:53 AM
Chanse
Novice

I honestly love riding for hours at a time... But when I ride I love power and want to ride aggressively, hear my pipes, and own the road when I'm next to all my buddies... I only asked about the wheelie because I want just as much torque as I do horsepower... I'm tired of being left behind as if I'm on a moped, and ONLI having loud pipes... I feel like a Chihuahua with a intimidating bark... I am however shooting for AROUND $1000 for PARTS. I have a guy who will do the work... I just want the best bang for my buck.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:28 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

1000.00 in parts (no labor),can get pretty good package.as far as the gearing,on my personal bikes,i would never trade faster acceleration for having it screaming trying to go 70 mph on the highway.do a good build and you wont have to gear it

Old 01-16-2015, 09:37 AM
Chanse
Novice

I don't want to re gear it, I do a lot of highway riding and one of my problems now is that I get left on the highway when my group goes around a truck. I'm forced to downshift to 4th and scream up to 5th to catch up.. And that still takes a lot of effort

Quick Reply: 1997 fatboy 80ci. To a beast