Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

2006 Street Bob Rough Idle and Gas Smell

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 08:01 PM
BCorks
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Street Bob Rough Idle and Gas Smell

Hello everyone, just picked up my second Harley about 2 weeks ago. A 2006 Street Bob with 3,200 miles on it. I absolutely love the bike so far but today I ran into some issues. I planned on joining this forum shortly but I guess due to the circumstances I might as well do it now.

First off I will say the bike has a Screamin Eagle intake, V&H Big Shots, and a Thundermax tuner. Here is a picture. (Minus the forward controls I put on now)

Okay, here is my issue. Yesterday my father rode the bike out to his buddies house to show him it, and it was running fine. Today we went to go for a ride and when I started my bike, it was idling really rough on a cold start, it sounded carbed. I gave it a little throttle to try and clear it out but it just ran real choppy. I turned the bike off and checked over some things including the spark plug wires. All of the wires were good but I noticed the terminal nut on top of both plugs were loose (They are Autolite plugs the PO put in...not sure why at only 3k miles but whatever).

After tightening the tops I fired the bike up and it ran a bit better and after riding around the block it cleared up a bit. I assumed there was little or no spark coming from one so maybe some unburnt fuel was clogging it all up. Me and my dad rode about 80 miles today without a hiccup, the bike rode great on winding country roads. We hopped on the highway to get back and after getting off and into the city the bike started jerking under very light throttle and cleared up if you got into it more. I looked down and both my Check Engine light and the Red Key Light were on. As i rode home the bike would sputter through the intake and backfire and it was really sluggish pulling out.

I pulled the plugs and they're very black and when the bike idles now its very rough, smells strongly of fuel, and I can vaguely see some black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

I ran the codes and it threw a P0131 and a P0151 for O2 Sensors Low? also a U1016 that I understand is from having an aftermarket ECM that a lot of Thundermax users get.

When it comes to electronics I am stumped so any and all input is appreciated. I'm not quite sure what to do here but my last resort is having to get robbed at the dealership.

Thanks in advance, Brian.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:46 PM
BCorks
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well a little update, I checked the standing battery voltage and that was 13.05V, I went over all the connections for the ECM including the O2 sensors, made sure the exhaust bolts to the head were tight and got about 1/2 to 3/4 turn out of two of them. I started the bike and was going to check for an intake leak but it idled perfect. I took it for a ride around the block and it ran like an animal. I'm not sure if it was just a loose connection or something but hopefully it continues to run well.