Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Still Chasing a Noise.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 01:00 PM
Garrman
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Still Chasing a Noise.

The bike: 2002 FLHPI Road King Police. ~35K miles.

The issue: a pronounced tapping/ rattling emitting (I think) from the upper end beginning at ~2,400 rpm.

I have been chasing this noise for the better part of the last year. The bike is mostly stock. SE air filter, V&H Monster Oval slip on’s and a PC III. I bought the bike with ~29K miles on it. I started hearing the noise so I had a local indy check it out. Sure enough, the cam chain tensioner shoes were shot. The shop replaced the worn shoes but the noise remained.

My first pass at resolving this was replacing the stock Harley lifters with the AMS Johnson Hy-Lifts. I primed the lifters as recommended but on start up there was a loud clatter that subsided after about 5 minutes of fast idle. The noise beginning at 2,400 remained unchanged. Back in late June of this year, I decided to upgrade to the SE cam plate, roller chain and hydraulic tensioner set up. I also installed Andrews 26N conversion cams and SE adjustable push rods. I had set the PR’s to 2 ½ turns. Still making the noise.

Djl had suggested going 3 ½ turns so I pulled the PR’s to inspect for damage or witness marks. Seeing none, I reassembled. Once more on start up, loud tapping that went away after a few minutes. While the noise seems to have decreased, it’s still there, especially at or over2,400 rpm.

I am a bit stumped on this. Every now and then, the bike will tap/ rattle on start up for ~30 seconds then quiet down. This is what is making me think it is lifter related. Based on my admittedly limited experience, this does not sound like a rod going bad but I could be wrong. I have tried the stethoscope method but have not been able to isolate the area the noise is coming from.

Any obvious things I am missing? I know that the TC motor makes some upper end noise but this seems a bit excessive.

Also, anyone have a better way to re-install the push rod tube clips? I managed to stick myself pretty good last night with the screwdriver.Maybe it’s just a matter of practice makes perfect?
Thanks,
Garrman

Old 11-16-2015, 01:46 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Never have been a fan of the AMS lifters; no personal experience but what I have read/heard has mostly been negative. Sounds like you might be a candidate for Rocker Lockers. A cheap possible solution and worth a try which I would try first. Second move would be to toss the AMS lifters and replace them with a set of CompCams VThunder 850.1 or S&S Standards.

I use the HD tool for snapping in the pushrod tube clips. A little pricey but quick, easy and painless; snap, snap, snap snap and done. No skinned knuckles, no bleeding.

http://rockerlockers.com/

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...l-removal-tool

Old 11-16-2015, 02:29 PM
Garrman
Cruiser

Hey djl,

Thanks for the suggestions. I had pretty much decided the S&S Standards would be my next move. I saw them on eBay last night for $102.00 delivered.

I picked up some Rocker Lockers from Steve that are sitting in the tool box waiting to be installed. For the $15 delivered, it's one less variable to worry about.

I had no idea about the Harley tool. Seems like cheap money to avoid scratched parts and stiches.

I'll let you know how this turns out.

Garrman

Old 11-17-2015, 11:48 AM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Never have been a fan of the AMS lifters; no personal experience but what I have read/heard has mostly been negative.
What makes the Hylift-Johnson lifters suspect?

Old 11-17-2015, 12:27 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwhockey17
What makes the Hylift-Johnson lifters suspect?
Like I said, no personal experience but have heard from reliable sources that I trust, some of which have run those lifters; they come with a less than stellar history. There are too may alternatives that do not have a spotted history for me to even try the Johnson lifters. Why borrow trouble??

Old 11-17-2015, 02:24 PM
Nitrusfix
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rocker Lockers fixed my top end noise also check your pushrod tubes the collar on my adjustable pushrods was rubbing on the top section I shortened the top tube an inch problem solved. Good luck

Old 11-17-2015, 03:12 PM
dfwhockey17
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Like I said, no personal experience but have heard from reliable sources that I trust, some of which have run those lifters; they come with a less than stellar history. There are too may alternatives that do not have a spotted history for me to even try the Johnson lifters. Why borrow trouble??
Good to know! I agree that there are a lot of good choices out there, and no need to take a chance with all the available alternatives...

Old 11-17-2015, 04:21 PM
Garrman
Cruiser

Hi Guys,

I have ordered S&S Standard lifters, forged rocker arms and shafts. I hope to do the install in the next week or so. I will install the rocker lockers I have at the same time.

Garrman

Old 11-17-2015, 09:42 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,818 Likes on 3,320 Posts

Hey Garrman, definitely set the lifter preload to .140". It will make a huge difference. Those SE pushrods are 32 tpi and can be set to 4 full turns and 3 flats very comfortably.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Garrman
Cruiser

Hey Hotrod,

Are you sure on the 32 tip for the SE tapered push rods? Everything I have seen indicates 24 tpi. The instructions that came with them said set to 2 1/2 turns which, if they are 24 tpi, would work out to 0.104 preload.

I may need to check them when I have them out just to make sure. I appreciate the tip.

Garrman

Quick Reply: Still Chasing a Noise.