Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Cams on a higher mileage bike. What else to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 09:11 AM
WallyWhite
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cams on a higher mileage bike. What else to look for?

Hi Guys,

Just got into riding a couple years ago and picked up my first HD before the start of last season. Before that I was not much of a wrencher other than oil changes, brakes, etc on my vehicles so I apologize if there's some obvious points/items I'll miss here.

I bought a retired police bike, 2008 FHLTP, 103". I did a stage one last year before the season started with AN intake, tru-duals, megaphone exhaust, and a PCV just to get away from the stock setup for my first summer. After a full summer I currently sit at 54k miles.

I've now picked up a set of used Woods 555 cams and HP+ lifters (4k miles) from another forum member here. I will have help when I do the cams from some experienced friends, but just looking for some experienced minds to chime in.

My question to you guys is with my bike having 54k miles on it, and now just doing cams, is there any other items I should pick up before I tear it apart? I We'll likely be doing the teardown at a house about an hour+ from the nearest HD dealer, so trying to avoid any trips back to the dealer mid-job. I spoke to Bob Wood before buying the cams (he recommended the 555's for my setup and riding style), but he also advised I might want to replace the cam chain as well. I don't get enough sleep so my memory can't recall if he advised anything else, but wanted your guys' opinion on any items I should pick up.

Not sure if it makes sense but in my head I worry about this motor being stock for so long with this many miles that doing the cam job would throw anything else out of whack (assuming everything is adjusted correctly).

The cams and lifters will be here today. The rest of the items on the list I'll be picking up in the next couple weeks. On my list of parts I have:
- 555's
- HP+ lifters
- SE adjustable pushrod kit
- Gasket and Bearing kit (likely fuel moto kit)

The garage I'll be working in has the bearing R&R kit for my year and the cam locking tool. Would you advise replacing the chain and chain tensioners as well while I'm in there or just wait and see what it looks like? Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?

Any help is appreciated guys. I've read a ton of posts on cams and watched the JPCycles/S&S video on youtube a couple times. Just wanted some reassurance since my bike does have higher miles. If there's any pertinent information I'm leaving out please just let me know.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:27 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Looks like you have it covered.
If the tensioner shoes do need replacement you can buy the shoes/pads separately. I bought a set off of ebay.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:30 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

As long as it is winter, I'd at least pull the heads and set the squeeze at 10.25 cr, and a good valve job.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:07 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I have basically the same setup on my '13 with V&H Power Duals and Monster Rounds. Let me know if you would like a copy of my PCV program to start off with. I started with a generic program from the cam supplier then used AutoTune to make it alot better.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:52 PM
WallyWhite
Cruiser

That would be awesome if you were able to. My plan was to have FuelMoto (where I got my PCV) send me one once the work was done, but if you have one that's autotuned in finer I'd definitely try it out once the snow here is gone. Worst case if it's off I can tweak it as needed.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not sure if I'll tear into the top end since I myself would cause more harm than good, but maybe I can talk the buddies into a bigger job. Thinking I might pick up a tensioner on ebay just in case. Worst case is I can turn around and resell it on ebay. Losing a couple bucks to ebay commission is probably worth it to have it on hand.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

I can't attach a .pvm file here so need an email address if you want a proven map for;
2013 FLHTK 103
Stock Pistons & Heads
V&H Power Duals 2009 app with 18mm bungs
V&H Monster Rounds
Screamin Eagle Air cleaner back plate and filter (Stage1)
Woods TW 555 cams
Stock HD Map
Power Commander V

Old 01-13-2016, 06:34 PM
WallyWhite
Cruiser

PM sent.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:46 PM
WallyWhite
Cruiser

One other question regarding the lifters. Since they're used are the pushrods going to need to be adjusted differently? If I understand correctly, they'll already be primed (not sure of the correct term) with oil.

When watching the jpcycles video they say to adjust the pushrods to fully push the lifters down, then back it off to half. Would I still follow the same principle, just the lifters won't be able to be fully compressed? Does this make any sense what I'm asking or am I way off base ?

Old 01-14-2016, 06:16 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

check run out on crank & make sure you up grade inner bearings,bumping the compression & freshing the heads is not a bad idea either (as pointed out by scott)

Old 01-14-2016, 09:42 AM
WallyWhite
Cruiser

Thank you for they advice. I was going with the fuelmoto kit that has torrington bearings and all new rings, gaskets, etc. And probably their pushrods since they're a little cheaper that the SE ones even online. They work with the stock tubes and you don't have to take the heads off.

I'll check the crank runout while I'm in there since it seems like it'd be foolish not to while I'm there. I'll probably just pick up a gauge on eBay or try to borrow one.

Thanks again everyone I appreciate the help. I'll post an update once the work is done.

Quick Reply: Cams on a higher mileage bike. What else to look for?