Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Does Oil Pump need replacing ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 11:15 PM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Does Oil Pump need replacing ?

Pictures from 2009 flht E/Glide Stage 1,, oil pump (part no 26037-06) .. 70,000 miles.. All internal parts of pump seem ok ....
Just want a second opinion ...

If I do replace, is the SE 6240001 the oil pump I want, instead of stock oil pump 26037-06 ??

Thanks ...

Attached Thumbnails Does Oil Pump need replacing ?-1-oil-pump.png   Does Oil Pump need replacing ?-2-oil-pump.png   Does Oil Pump need replacing ?-4-oil-pump.png   Does Oil Pump need replacing ?-3-oil-pump.png  
Old 09-01-2016, 06:41 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

pretty good scoring at the bottom,looks like something got dragged & caught.wear on one side also could be from a out of true crank.as far as the pump goes,replace it

Old 09-01-2016, 10:33 AM
PWMORRIS
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 92 Posts

Replace the pump and check crank runout. 70k on the clock, was there ever any past issues that might have caused that wear? Any lifter or cam chest issues?Motor been redone before?

Old 09-01-2016, 06:50 PM
markwolula
Tourer

Thanks for your replies,
No past issues with engine, ie, oil pressure, noise, vibration, etc .... No scoring on cam plate bushing ...
But,, But,, the secondary tensioner was badly worn ,(down to metal insert), and the secondary cam chain has taken a beating from riding over the metal insert, causing sharp edges and wear .. The small metal pieces from the chain going through the oil pump may have caused the scoring in the oil pump.... I think I have been lucky and caught everything just in time ....
Just checked the crank runout, (checked a few times at different locations to make sure I had good mounting of the dial and and magnet)... Did not go over 3 thou,, so I am happy with that as bike is basically stock....
So in closing,, I am replacing oil pump with the SE 6240001 ,, replacing tensioners,,, replacing secondary cam chain,, replacing lifters,, adjustable pushrods,, gaskets,,Oil orings ,, etc.... I was going to upgrade cams, but changed my mind , so stocks cams are going back...
I will post up some pics of the worn secondary chain and tensioners soon .... Cheers..

Old 09-01-2016, 10:35 PM
markwolula
Tourer

Pic of Secondary chain, showing wear and damage from chain riding over badly worn tensioner, that has worn through to the metal insert....
The metal particles worn from chain may be the cause of the scoring inside the oil pump...Plus pieces of cam tensioner going through the oil pump ...

Attached Thumbnails Does Oil Pump need replacing ?-secondary-cam-chain-damage.png  

Last edited by markwolula; 09-01-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:00 AM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default that chain is shot

u can see flat spots in the cam timing chain from rubbing on the piston after the shoe wore off. I don't see any pics of the gearorotors, any chew marks on the teeth- Id say your looking at new pump. timing chain , tension shoe inner and im sure the outer tension show doesn't look much better. and a good pan flush out, all those pump and timing chain bits have gone some where. as previous post said check run out and the pump just doesn't bolt on , there is a alignment procedure to get it centered on shaft and decreases misalignment errors.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:08 AM
markwolula
Tourer

The crankshaft runout did not go over 3 thou ,,,, (check it a few times at different mounting locations to get a true reading)....
I asked this question above, but no response , re oil pump replacement type...

There is the stock, (26037-06),, and SE (62400001) oil pump... I will be re using the stock cam plate.. The SE 6240001 can be bought separately , but it does come in a kit which includes an updated cam plate... The SE oil pump is cheaper, (go figure), and I was going that way.. Was at dealer and the parts guy mentioned installing the SE oil pump on the stock cam plate may be a problem , as it seems to be an update that should go on the updated cam plate, (because of an increase in oil flow, etc... He was not sure , just something to look into... So has anyone got any info on this ??? ....
Just dont wont to order and install an oil pump and have dramas later Not a big deal really , a new stock oil pump will do the job,, just thought I could save a few bucks ... Thanks ...

Old 09-05-2016, 05:27 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,551 Likes on 3,058 Posts

It can't hurt to replace it but with a '00 I seriously doubt any blame would go to run out. I replaced my tensioners at 81,000 (looked just like yours,) with gear drive cams Jan '11, and left the oil pump as is. I'm at 160,000 on the motor now. No issues.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:49 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by markwolula
Pic of Secondary chain, showing wear and damage from chain riding over badly worn tensioner, that has worn through to the metal insert....
The metal particles worn from chain may be the cause of the scoring inside the oil pump...Plus pieces of cam tensioner going through the oil pump ...
this explaines the wear on the return side of the pump.use CYRO tensioner pads,NOT OEM tensioners

Old 09-05-2016, 07:27 AM
feguy1
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Dont go cheap, replace both chains, tensioners, pump and plate.

Quick Reply: Does Oil Pump need replacing ?