Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Rockers and Valve Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 07:07 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,466 Likes on 2,592 Posts
Default Rockers and Valve Springs

I'm going to replace the Rocker Box Gaskets on the old EVO and am also considering Rocker Lockers, Rockout Lockers, or the 8/32 Set Screw fix. Plus maybe changing the Valve Springs.
So let me explain. The Rocker fix is a choice between the above mentioned products and I'm looking for advice on which way to go. The drilled and tapped set screw idea appeals to me but would like to hear pros and cons. Also, would I need to be concerned about Rocker Arm end play and maybe using a cutter and shim?
Next is the Valve Springs. The current springs are high lift, and I think 175 lb tension which I'm afraid is overkill and just worrying me. The cam is an Andrew's EV3 which is 0.495 lift and will work with stock springs. So I'm told. Do I really need to worry about longevity with what's in there?
So can I remove the Valve Springs with the heads on using only the compressed air and maybe some fabricated lever type tool vs the Nub or Goodson (?) Tools? Anyone done this? I've removed springs on the bench before with a big clamp and I've seen some pretty tricky things done with a socket and even zip ties.
Lastly, I lost my stock Valve Springs and would need to buy some used takeouts. (Broke Biker, what can I say?) I know they're out there. Anybody? Donations accepted!

Old 04-26-2024, 10:45 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by brakeless
I'm going to replace the Rocker Box Gaskets on the old EVO and am also considering Rocker Lockers, Rockout Lockers, or the 8/32 Set Screw fix. Plus maybe changing the Valve Springs.
So let me explain. The Rocker fix is a choice between the above mentioned products and I'm looking for advice on which way to go. The drilled and tapped set screw idea appeals to me but would like to hear pros and cons. Also, would I need to be concerned about Rocker Arm end play and maybe using a cutter and shim?
Next is the Valve Springs. The current springs are high lift, and I think 175 lb tension which I'm afraid is overkill and just worrying me. The cam is an Andrew's EV3 which is 0.495 lift and will work with stock springs. So I'm told. Do I really need to worry about longevity with what's in there?
So can I remove the Valve Springs with the heads on using only the compressed air and maybe some fabricated lever type tool vs the Nub or Goodson (?) Tools? Anyone done this? I've removed springs on the bench before with a big clamp and I've seen some pretty tricky things done with a socket and even zip ties.
Lastly, I lost my stock Valve Springs and would need to buy some used takeouts. (Broke Biker, what can I say?) I know they're out there. Anybody? Donations accepted!
PATENTED Rockouts are a cheap, permanent fix. End play shimming... I have never heard of this actually helping anything... there just isn't enough gap there to generate a noise. The shims you may see for sale are actually for old shovelhead engines... a completely different design.

Have a look around my website, thousands cured worldwide!

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following 4 users liked this post by ROCKOUT Rocker Products:
brakeless (04-26-2024), Harley1004 (04-28-2024), J F GO (04-28-2024), Uncle Larry (04-27-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 12:25 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Edit: It's an 8-32 Set Screw not an 8/32. My brain...

Old 04-26-2024, 01:47 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Rocker Lockers; no drilling, tapping, etc.; simple install and they work.

Not an expert on spring pressures but 175psi on the seat does seem like overkill. With that cam, I think OEM beehives springs, '05 up would work well and accommodate higher lift cams in the future. Never used the Goodson tool but have read good things. The only issue I have read is the fitment of the tool over the sping retainer; apparently some aftermarket retainers are too large to accommodate the tool.

Last edited by djl; 04-26-2024 at 01:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by djl:
brakeless (04-26-2024), Harley1004 (04-28-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 01:55 PM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by djl

Not an expert on spring pressures but 175psi on the seat does seem like overkill. With that cam, I think OEM beehives springs, '05 up would work well and accommodate higher lift cams in the future. Never used the Goodson tool but have read good things. The only issue I have read is the fitment of the tool over the sping retainer; apparently some aftermarket retainers are too large to accommodate the tool.
Yeah I've decided to go with the RockOut Lockers. I'm just a old machinist and liked the drill and tap thing. But K.I.S.S. Right? I guess I'm my own worst enemy. I'm worried about valve springs that have been in the bike for 30,000 or so miles. Can't help but think "if it works, it don't need fixin". Maybe I'm overthinking it all. It's a low mileage per year wifey ride.

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (04-26-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 02:23 PM
wfolarry
Tourer
Received 164 Likes on 87 Posts

175 was pretty common in the Evo days. Springs are so much better now that you don't need as much pressure to control the valve. Look at what the Beehives have.
I wouldn't be afraid to run them. I'd check the lifters if there's 20,000 miles or more on them.

The following 6 users liked this post by wfolarry:
brakeless (04-28-2024), djl (04-27-2024), Harley1004 (04-28-2024), Max Headflow (04-27-2024), Ohio HD (04-27-2024), ROCKOUT Rocker Products (04-27-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-28-2024, 06:18 AM
Harley1004
Club Member

Received 450 Likes on 387 Posts

Originally Posted by djl

2nd that

Last edited by Harley1004; 04-28-2024 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:13 AM
brakeless
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by wfolarry
175 was pretty common in the Evo days. Springs are so much better now that you don't need as much pressure to control the valve. Look at what the Beehives have.
I wouldn't be afraid to run them. I'd check the lifters if there's 20,000 miles or more on them.
Yeah I think it's gonna stay the way it is for a while longer. I can't justify putting money into it since it doesn't see much in mileage per year. It has a set of Jim's Big Axle Lifters in it.
currently. I'd like to save my money for my bike since I ride it. I'll be getting a set of your lifters for it of these days.