EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Aftermarket CV carb anybody try one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 02:28 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by ronks2
Worked great. Bolted it on, a few twists of the throttle and it started right up. Turned the idle adjustment screw about a turn and a half and I had a nice Harley thumping idle. Went a quarter turn more and it smoothed right out.

I did take a few pictures of it with my digital camera so I will be able to upload photos over the next day or two. The only note I have that will be visible in the photos are the EPA plug is in (not a problem, mine does not appear lean) and they have deleted the overflow tube from the bottom of the bowl. For what I needed, an inexpensive fix for my older Sporty that cruises the beaches, it worked excellent.

Hope this helps.

Ron

Later Keihin CVs have no overflow as its against EPA regs to allow fuel to enter the atmosphere or something like that.

The only difference between a genuine HD Keihin and yours is the badge I reckon.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:39 PM
ronks2
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CV pics and update

As far as the 40 mm carbs go I believe around 89 to 04 will interchange. What I have seen that can be a little different are the needles (3 or 4 sided) floats (box looking and round looking), jets and push pull cable brackets. I have been swapping mine beteween a fatboy and sporty with no issues. When I had Harley try to get me a new one for my 94 fatboy the part superseded about four times.

In the previous post someone referred to them as Chinese knock offs. I do not believe that to be true. They might have been made in china as are most of our durable goods these days, but not in a negative way.

Could not get these files small enough to upload but was able to get them up on craigs list in my area. Not sure if the web address will post. If it does not you can go to motorcycle parts in south florida and search carbron and they should pop up.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/mpo/4798419873.html

Good luck,

Ron

Old 12-20-2014, 11:06 AM
Johneblast
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dump the CV idea and get a S&S. I have no idea why anyone would want to "boot" a carb to a manifold! The boot, in time from the expanding and retracting from heat, will suck air and stall you out (hopefully not while your in rush hour traffic). Bolt that MF up! Far less chances of the thing sucking the unwanted air. True they are great on MPG, but why not sacrifice a few miles for a little more ponies and safety? And no, I don't work for S&S! Just saying.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:31 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Johneblast
Dump the CV idea and get a S&S. I have no idea why anyone would want to "boot" a carb to a manifold! The boot, in time from the expanding and retracting from heat, will suck air and stall you out (hopefully not while your in rush hour traffic). Bolt that MF up! Far less chances of the thing sucking the unwanted air. True they are great on MPG, but why not sacrifice a few miles for a little more ponies and safety? And no, I don't work for S&S! Just saying.

Nothing wrong with the CV and the boots last ages with no issues, its usually the head to manifold seals that give trouble.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:51 PM
GraemeR
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

S&S.....LOL. Noah used them in the Ark.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:35 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by GraemeR
S&S.....LOL. Noah used them in the Ark.
And they still work just fine!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2014, 08:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
Too true, but so do the Keihin. I've had excellent service out of both, although I must admit I liked the S&S so much I bought an engine to go with!!!!

Old 12-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry

Actually any carb will work just fine (except the Keihin butterfly) its down to preference but we all need to be balanced in our opinions and not invent issues with the products we choose not use just to justify our choice...not that you do this THC but some do....they know who they are...

Old 12-22-2014, 03:11 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Actually any carb will work just fine (except the Keihin butterfly) its down to preference but we all need to be balanced in our opinions and not invent issues with the products we choose not use just to justify our choice...not that you do this THC but some do....they know who they are...
Not our fault you choose to ride one of those pastry treat things.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
Not our fault you choose to ride one of those pastry treat things.

WTF are you talking about?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket CV carb anybody try one?