EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Dyna rubber mount replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 04:02 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Dyna rubber mount replacement.

I have my rear fender off for re-paint and re-wire. I figure while I had it off, and the fact that I have to yank the rear tire anyways, I was going to replace the rubber mounts... 30k miles and they're toast. Front is mushy and has rubber peeling off, and the rear wanders around a little bit here and there. From looking at it, it appears that I won't have to pull the swing arm to get the rear rubber mount off, but what exactly is involved in replacing it? From what I gather all I need to do is support the transmission with a floor jack and then pull the bolts for it correct? Two cross bolts top and bottom, and then 2 in the center facing towards the motor?

Sorry for these redundant questions... a search didn't yield much. Thanks guys.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:12 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Your rear mount will anger you upon reinstall but it's easy

Get the bike upright and support the engine with a scissor jack not hydraulic. Remove the back two Allen bolts then from the right side with a long wobble extension remove the two nuts on the bolts. You might have to use a drift to tap the bolts out of the mounts it might be right you can try adjusting the jack to make them have no load I couldn't get mine to slide out easily.

Reinstall is the same but you'll probably need a helper to hold one side while you torque the nuts down. I did it without but needed help to line up and get them back in.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:18 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kp877
Your rear mount will anger you upon reinstall but it's easy

Get the bike upright and support the engine with a scissor jack not hydraulic. Remove the back two Allen bolts then from the right side with a long wobble extension remove the two nuts on the bolts. You might have to use a drift to tap the bolts out of the mounts it might be right you can try adjusting the jack to make them have no load I couldn't get mine to slide out easily.

Reinstall is the same but you'll probably need a helper to hold one side while you torque the nuts down. I did it without but needed help to line up and get them back in.
Sounds easy enough. I can pay someone in beer to help me. Thanks Kev.

Old 01-20-2015, 05:22 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

Easy but the potential frustration is high. I think I had to use something to lever the engine into place to line up. You should probably loosen the front and do a run on the ground with everything loose to settle the mounts after. The front is very easy but I'd recommend at least checking out the vibratechnics mount. It really makes the bike more stable. The way you ride it's not a bad idea.

You sure that rear needs replacing? You can see it if you use a mirror. Mine wasn't bad I just thought it was. It doesn't get oil on it like the front

Last edited by br549A1; 01-20-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:36 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

Easy but the potential frustration is high. I think I had to use something to lever the engine into place to line up. You should probably loosen the front and do a run on the ground with everything loose to settle the mounts after. The front is very easy but I'd recommend at least checking out the vibratechnics mount. It really makes the bike more stable. The way you ride it's not a bad idea.

You sure that rear needs replacing? You can see it if you use a mirror. Mine wasn't bad I just thought it was. It doesn't get oil on it like the front
Frustration aint a problem... I walk away and go do something else before I get mad enough to throw stuff these days. Will do the run in on the mounts.

I'm not entirely POSITIVE it needs replacement, but the rear end does wander a tiny bit, and at 30,000 miles, while I have the fender and everything else off, I can't really see not doing it.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:08 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

What I found was replacing the front cured the back wobble. Yours may be different but I remember my first ride it felt like it was going over train tracks when turning I wasn't sure it was going to make it back home. It was swaying and shaking like hell. The back mount is built different. Not saying yours isn't shot just that my front being replaced made a huge difference but I went vibratechnics. Replacing the rear made absolutely no difference at all.

All I'm saying is do the front first then decide. I'm trying to save you $100. If your rear is shot you should see marks on your starter body from allowing it to twist too far.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:10 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

What I found was replacing the front cured the back wobble. Yours may be different but I remember my first ride it felt like it was going over train tracks when turning I wasn't sure it was going to make it back home. It was swaying and shaking like hell. The back mount is built different. Not saying yours isn't shot just that my front being replaced made a huge difference but I went vibratechnics. Replacing the rear made absolutely no difference at all.

All I'm saying is do the front first then decide. I'm trying to save you $100. If your rear is shot you should see marks on your starter body from allowing it to twist too far.
Hmm... maybe I'l lay off on the rear then. Front is definitely shot though. You'd think HD would have had a better design for this but oh well... not a big deal.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:17 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

What's your front look like? Is it off yet? Grab a mirror and check your rear. You should have equal distance top to bottom.

This is what mine looked like it sunk and was covered in oil. I saved it not sure ehy

Attached Thumbnails Dyna rubber mount replacement.-image-1568944256.jpg  

Last edited by br549A1; 01-20-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:19 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member

What's your front look like? Is it off yet? Grab a mirror and check your rear. You should have equal distance top to bottom.
Front has shredded rubber coming off... she is for sure toast like, well... toast.

I'll check the rear out a little closer in the morning, although I could have sworn I saw marks on the starter motor.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:21 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

Ya you'll see marks from it hitting if it's shot. The mounts is one thing I researched excessively and the only repair I regret. The rear that is.

Quick Reply: Dyna rubber mount replacement.