EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Andrews EV13 cam installed: Nice

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 07:10 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Andrews EV13 cam installed: Nice

The lad and I just put an EV13 cam in our 95 RK and couldn't be happier. (Him doing all the grunt work, me site supervising from comfortable chair.)
It's a two-up touring specific cam and is just what the old boat needed.
A good dose of extra low-speed grunt and absolute gobs of extra mid-range power. I've never hit the rev limiter on this bike - never any need to -- so can't comment on top end but it seems to pull well up to as far as I am prepared to rev it. (No tach on this bike).

Plus the bike seems to run better all round, idles better and even sounds a little better. (Staintune slip-ons, they have that farty stainless sound anyway)

Overall, very nice indeed.
Not surprising I guess, seeing as the stock cam had no valve overlap at all. Unbelievable!
Now blitzing past cars and trucks on steep uphill twisties and having lots of fun.

While the bike was up on the hoist, we put on a Progressive Touring Link track stablizer thingy between the rear of the tranny and the swingarm pivot plate. Seems to make the bike feel more "seated". Maybe a tad more vibration, but it's so little and so subjective, hard to tell for sure.

I did notice the Progressive swingarm pivot plate stuck out a gnat's whisker further than stock and had to make sure the zorst pipes did not hit against it and transmit evil vibes.

Had a couple of narrow escapes while changing the cam. One was noticing a couple of teeth on the plastic breather gear starting to deteriorate, so slipped a nice S&S steel job in there. Seems like anything rubber or plastic on bikes over 20 years old starts to give out from age rather than mileage.

We put a pair of new umbrella valves in the heads while the rocker boxes were off for the same reason. The old umbrellas were hardened and not working at all really. Seems to be the cure for the oil dribbling out the KN air cleaner , so far.

A good time was had by all.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hopper:
drifterawh (11-08-2021), Garageking (12-07-2020)
Old 05-20-2015, 07:18 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Glad you are happy.
One more person who has liked the EV-13 for the tally books.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:49 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts

Sounds like a job well done, by father and son. Pretty cool.... While your art it I would get rid of the breather to the air filter. Motor doesn't really need that...and how thick is a "gnats whisker"

The following users liked this post:
drifterawh (11-08-2021)
Old 05-20-2015, 01:26 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
Sounds like a job well done, by father and son. Pretty cool.... While your art it I would get rid of the breather to the air filter. Motor doesn't really need that...and how thick is a "gnats whisker"
I think it's about twice as wide as a red cu-- hair!

Old 05-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Hopper
Road Warrior

Yeah, it's about that thick. Little more than a bee's dick.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,178 Likes on 6,218 Posts

I was curious about your carb jetting and adjustments.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:44 AM
Hopper
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Prot
I was curious about your carb jetting and adjustments.
So far, I haven't changed them for the cam.

I already had a K&N filter and slip-on mufflers and some time back had put a CV Performance kit in the carb that included new needle, spring and larger jets. From memory I ended up with a 46 slow and I think a 180? main but will have to check my notebook next time I'm able to get out to the shed.

I never could get it to run as sweet or strong as I would like but since putting the cam in, the carb set up seems to be spot-on so i am not dicking with it right now.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:18 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

I wanted to put a EV-13 in my bike years ago, but the shop I was dealing with tried their best to talk me out of it, claiming I'd "never feel the difference."

I'd still like to try one, but I don't dare put a new cam in a motor with 100,000 miles on it. It would probably blow up in a week.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:28 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
I wanted to put a EV-13 in my bike years ago, but the shop I was dealing with tried their best to talk me out of it, claiming I'd "never feel the difference."

I'd still like to try one, but I don't dare put a new cam in a motor with 100,000 miles on it. It would probably blow up in a week.
Not if you took care of it properly. That cam is not a lot more stress on the motor or valve train. It's a quick bolt in. Go for it and settle your curiosity. Could have it done in one afternoon. If you have adjustable pushrods you can do it without removing the rocker plates. I've done it...

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (03-19-2023)
Old 05-23-2015, 08:22 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,700 Likes on 1,155 Posts

I bought my 97EG as a project bike with a vibration I thought was an easy fix. It wasn't but that's another story. I had thought a good many times of just dumping the bike because of the vib. I found 4 evo's I test rode to buy. I just never found one that I thought atleast performed as well as mine did.
So I'd go back trying to fix mine and finally got it right.

In all this I found a EV13 had been installed and some head work.
Ok that's why it runs like it does, it added to my resolve to fix this bike.
I too like the low end grunt. Great for pulling tree stumps

Have a good 1
WP

Quick Reply: Andrews EV13 cam installed: Nice