EVO All Evo Model Discussion

1986 FLHT Parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:45 AM
charlieapes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1986 FLHT Parts

I think i Originally posted this in the wrong sections.
Hey Guys,
I just sold my sporty after many years, and just picked up a pretty well maintained 1986 FLHT (my bike before the sporty was a 76 FLH, so this isn't my first big twin).
I am putting apes on it and i am having a heck of a time finding cables and such. It's got a S&S Super E on it as well. So my first question is can i use any +8 throttle cables or does it have to be specific to my year (which i am sure didn't come with an S&S carb).
Second, the stock clutch cable has no midline adjustment and looks to me like any other clutch cable. Can i just use something like a 97 FLH clutch cable?
Third, The brake lines are hard tubes running down into standard rubber brake lines, can i replace that with an upgraded braided system?
I am not new to this and it looks to me like all this antiquated crap could be replaced with better gear and not affect the running of the bike.
Any help would be greatyl appreciated.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

What you calling "antiquated crap?" y0.

Throttle cables for Evo era bikes should work on the S&S.

Clutch cable for any bike after '86 won't work. Shovel era up to 86 Evo clutch cables MIGHT work, but you'd have to investigate the shovel stuff.

Put whatever brake lines you want on. Theoretically, braided is not better than solid tubing, but may be better at the rubber parts.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:27 AM
charlieapes
Cruiser

Thanks Doc,
I have deep reverence for the antiquated crap (I miss my 76, everyday).
When i said braided I really just meant hose instead of hard tubing.
I found an 86 FLH clutch at Barnett so i am good there now. Though i am not familiar with how to adjust a cable with no midline adjustment. Now it may be as easy has just adjusting the threaded end through the bracket, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Old 05-21-2015, 12:33 PM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

It adjusts going thru the bracket. Push the end thru the hole in the bracket and thread in the cable/add on adjuster nut until you reach the arm for the clutch with the end.

I'd try to keep some tension on the arm when you release the old cable as the throw out bearing could fall off the arm inside the cover if the clip is off/broken of it. Just enough to hold it in place until you start getting some tension on it.

Truthfully, you should probably pull the cover and put in a new throw out bearing and eye ball everything since you just got it and you'll know a lot more of where you stand on everything in there.

That's just me though.

Griz

Old 05-21-2015, 12:34 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Next up: You need an official factory shop manual. You've been in this game long enough to know that.

Yeah, you just loosen the lock nut on the cable, screw it in/out, tighten it up. Just like a shovelhead.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:43 PM
charlieapes
Cruiser

That is kind of what i suspected. Thanks for the help. Trying to locate a manual as we speak.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:01 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by charlieapes
I think i Originally posted this in the wrong sections.
Hey Guys,
I just sold my sporty after many years, and just picked up a pretty well maintained 1986 FLHT (my bike before the sporty was a 76 FLH, so this isn't my first big twin).
I am putting apes on it and i am having a heck of a time finding cables and such. It's got a S&S Super E on it as well. So my first question is can i use any +8 throttle cables or does it have to be specific to my year (which i am sure didn't come with an S&S carb).
Second, the stock clutch cable has no midline adjustment and looks to me like any other clutch cable. Can i just use something like a 97 FLH clutch cable?
Third, The brake lines are hard tubes running down into standard rubber brake lines, can i replace that with an upgraded braided system?
I am not new to this and it looks to me like all this antiquated crap could be replaced with better gear and not affect the running of the bike.
Any help would be greatyl appreciated.

I went through this on my 1991. I went with Motion Pro cables and Russel brake hose kit. You will need cables specifically for the SuperE. Ask me how I know? I wasted money on a couple different sets that were+6" but only work with the CV stock carb. They each require different free play lengths on the throttle cables. Clutch cable was fine. Your year may be different yet?

I went through jpcycles for the brake lines. I had to order a kit to convert over to the stainless braided lines and then had to order a separate +6" upper hose, as they do not offer the kit with the longer hose. Kinda stupid!

If you go through Motion Pro make sure you call them and have them give you the specific P/N's for your year with a SuperE. Then have them double check and verify them again. They gave the wrong P/N# on one of the throttle cables, and I then again had to order another one. Needless to say it was a bit of a fiasco. With a few returns and such. I now have 2 extra sets of +6" throttle cables that will not work on my ride (1 set stainless braided, 1 set black nylon), along with a Black nylon +6" clutch cable, which I can use if needed. You should also consider and bottle of cable lube, and a lube tool.

Something else to note is that although items get purchased from the Motion Pro website, they are not shipped directly from them. They use a network of 3rd party vendors, and use their inventory on the shelves for shipping and fulfilling orders. So my returns had to be worked through the vendor, not Motion Pro. They have a good product, just don't care for how they do their business.

Last edited by DeputyLoud; 05-21-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:36 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by charlieapes
Trying to locate a manual as we speak.
They are still available through dealers.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:43 PM
DeputyLoud
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
They are still available through dealers.
I had been monitoring ebay for a while and finally found a parts manual for my year for $25 used. Came in great shape. It beats the cost of about $40-$60 for a new one.

Old 05-21-2015, 02:48 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by DeputyLoud
I had been monitoring ebay for a while and finally found a parts manual for my year for $25 used. Came in great shape. It beats the cost of about $40-$60 for a new one.
Don't be a skinflint! That is less than an hour at an indy and will be got back the very first time you use it. By all means look out for a bargain, but don't waste too much time......

Quick Reply: 1986 FLHT Parts