EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Bike died no spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:19 AM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Bike died no spark

Hi all. I've done a bunch of searching around here and found some good tips on what to look for but need some input. I have a 1996 Fatboy with 80 evo, just bought it a few weeks ago. I was riding the other day and bike just died. Everything works and I have voltage at the coil but no spark. I pulled the nose cone cover and bike has a Compu Fire HD 1 Dual fire ignition. Theres a little light on the ignition that I assume is supposed to be on? But when I turn the bike over the light never turns on or flashes. Could this be my problem? Thanks for any input as id like to get this fixed so I can make it to Reno next weekend!

Old 05-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

If you don't get the answer quickly, post up to the Evo section. There are some excellent tech guys on that forum.

Sorry I can't help you other than the referral, I'm not familiar with that ignition.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:36 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Thanks for the suggestion I was intending to put this there but brain fart kept me from it.

I called Compu Fire and the tech told me while cranking that light should be blinking, so ignition is bad. Just glad I was able to hopefully figure this out without taking it to a shop. New ignition on order.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by byronk
Thanks for the suggestion I was intending to put this there but brain fart kept me from it.

I called Compu Fire and the tech told me while cranking that light should be blinking, so ignition is bad. Just glad I was able to hopefully figure this out without taking it to a shop. New ignition on order.
Smart move calling them.

Did you take the ignition plate off (mark the timing to get it back in the right spot) and see if there is some dirt or something blocking the sensor? Pretty much free to try...

And I don't want to be chicken little here but how many miles on the bike? When my buddy's EVO hit about 50k he started having recurring problems with his ignition pickup coil getting pushed out of position. He bought a couple of ignitions until his cam bearing, which was causing the problem the entire time, finally completely went out and screwed up his case.

Last edited by Joe_G; 05-27-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:22 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Yeah I did mark and remove the ignition and didnt see anything obvious wrong with it. Bike only has 9600 miles on it and is mostly stock. Runs strong, no leaks and havent had a problem till this. THanks for the suggestions I really appritiate it!

Old 05-27-2015, 02:48 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Happy to contribute, sounds like we think alike with diagnosis. Thanks for the kind words.

Please post up the solution!

Old 05-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,431 Likes on 4,751 Posts

I can think several other reasons, be interesting when you swap out the ignition if that was it.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:57 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
I can think several other reasons, be interesting when you swap out the ignition if that was it.
Please share. I'm open to try any other trouble shooting that's necessary. If nothing else it will be a learning experience and I'm happy to learn all I can about my bike.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:35 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by byronk
Please share. I'm open to try any other trouble shooting that's necessary. If nothing else it will be a learning experience and I'm happy to learn all I can about my bike.
I'm not familiar with your model and its ignition system, but if you had a schematic diagram I could take a look and suggest a few things to test and try before arbitrarily replacing parts.

e.g. what gives the ignition control module the signal to fire, .....crank and/or camshaft position sensor, intake vacuum switch, ........ if there was a problem with one of them the LED you mentioned might not flash when cranking?

Most Harley's need the spark plugs installed when testing for spark - if they're not installed the intake manifold vacuum switch/sensor will not see vacuum and prevent spark.

Last edited by 1004ron; 05-27-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:58 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 1004ron
I'm not familiar with your model and its ignition system, but if you had a schematic diagram I could take a look and suggest a few things to test and try before arbitrarily replacing parts.

e.g. what gives the ignition control module the signal to fire, .....crank and/or camshaft position sensor, intake vacuum switch, ........ if there was a problem with one of them the LED you mentioned might not flash when cranking?

Most Harley's need the spark plugs installed when testing for spark - if they're not installed the intake manifold vacuum switch/sensor will not see vacuum and prevent spark.

Wish I new the aswers to your questions. I have not checked the cam position sensor and don't think my bike has a intake vacume switch? I tested the plugs by putting them against the engine and cranking the motor and got no spark. I do have 10.8 volts at the coil with just the ignition switch on. I pulled some tape off a few things under the seat after work and found these two things and a wire that wasn't connected. The end of the wire was bare but I cut it so it wouldn't ground against anything. Not sure what either of them is or if they have anything to do with my problem? I'll attach a couple of pics under this post. I haven't mentioned it but I changed my handlebars on Friday. I shrink wrapped everything and rode a couple hundred miles Saturday, Sunday and the bike ran great till Monday when it died.

Quick Reply: Bike died no spark