EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Need help on Ultra ignition

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:16 PM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Need help on Ultra ignition

Hi all. Im installing an Ultra 53-644 on my 96 Fatboy. Thing im having trouble with is the directions kinda suck, that and maybe im a bit dense but oh well. This is a dual fire with no VOES or Tach. Ignition has a White, Pink, Green, Purple/Violet and a Blue wire.

Directions say:

White from ignition to primary side with existing 12 volt white from harness to + side on coil, got it.

Pink from ignition to the other primary terminal, would that mean pink to - side or grounds side of coil? Or is that for single fire with 3 posts?

Green is tach so I tuck this one away?
Purple is for VOES so I tuck this one away?
Directions say Blue wire is left unconnected. If there is no tach Green wire is left unconnected.

Just not getting were the pink goes and if its my ground? I had it hooked up with White from ignition and white 12 volt to ones post on coil and Pink from ignition to other post but the LED stayed blinking when I turned ignition on and its supposed to stay on after a few seconds . Directions say that if it keeps blinking I have a over current or short circuit fault. Maybe a bad coil? Thanks for any help, really trying to get this thing up and running!!

Old 05-28-2015, 07:05 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

If it says pink from your new module to the "other primary terminal," I would take that to mean the negative side of the coil. That is not ground, really. Putting that to the positive side of the coil would make the module short out your ignition circuit when it tried to fire. That would be bad.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:16 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,245 Likes on 5,408 Posts

White goes to the + side of the coil...pink goes to the - side of the coil...it is not really a ground...it grounds monetarily to "fire" the coil...I would use the VOES.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:23 PM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
White goes to the + side of the coil...pink goes to the - side of the coil...it is not really a ground...it grounds monetarily to "fire" the coil...I would use the VOES.

Yep! What he said!!!

Old 05-28-2015, 07:41 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Thanks guys for the help and diagram. I don't have VOES and at this point I don't have the time/patience to install it but do have the port on my carb manifold so at a later date I will. Just want to get it back up and running right now. I hooked it up as pictured, set flywheel at TDC and the red LED still continues to blink. I tried rotating the ignition and no luck. Im pretty frustrated at this point but determined to figure this out. Any help would be greatly appritiated. Oh and FWI, I had a Compu Fire in it that took a crap an wouldn't even light up at all and would only give me 10.8 volts at the coil im now getting 12.4 volts at the coil with ignition on.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:56 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,245 Likes on 5,408 Posts

Originally Posted by byronk
I turned ignition on and its supposed to stay on after a few seconds . Directions say that if it keeps blinking I have a over current or short circuit fault. Maybe a bad coil?

Have you checked the coil with a meter to see if it is 2.5 to 3.5 ohms?

Old 05-28-2015, 08:09 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Have you checked the coil with a meter to see if it is 2.5 to 3.5 ohms?

No I haven't. How would I check it? Thanks.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:00 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

With an Ohm meter. You say you have 12.4V at the coil. What meter are you using for that?

Old 05-28-2015, 09:14 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
With an Ohm meter. You say you have 12.4V at the coil. What meter are you using for that?
I have a volt meter that does ohms also. Just need to know where to text it at? Thanks.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:55 PM
byronk
Road Captain

Ok guys bear with me here. I researched how to check ohms on a dual fire coil so hope I did this right? I set the meter on low and measured from post to post on the coil with everything disconnected. I got 0.8 ohms, it would jump to 1.4 when I first put the meter on the posts then drop steadily to 0.8. Taking a reading for secondary windings I put a lead from the meter in each of the plug wire outputs and got 11.45-11.75 ohms. I know its supposed to read in the 13,000 range if its good but no matter what setting I had the meter on it wouldn't read in thousands. Anyways I know the 0.8 is not good so I guess I need to replace the coil?

Quick Reply: Need help on Ultra ignition