EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Evo Crate Motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 06:59 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Evo Crate Motor

Just picked up an Evo crate motor from the local HD shop. All crate motors are '99 models, come with the alternator, oil filter,and ignition, but no intake. Also get a statement/certificate of origin from HD.

Initial impression right out of the box is, "Nice!" There is no shiny cover on the ignition cavity, and the cases and cam cover have that rough casting texture. Hadn't seen one with the cam cover the same texture as the cases. I kinda like it - less shine for me to have to mess with. Rocker covers are polished. I got the plain-jane motor - no black & no chrome.

Gotta run the gas outta the tank, and then I'll start pulling the old motor out. It has a bad leak at the motor sprocket area behind the alternator. Seems some idiot used a sheet metal screw to fasten the stator wire clamp to the crankcase. Caused a minor crack that seeped for awhile. Thought it was the seal, and while that was some of it, it wasn't all. I run a semi-open primary & primo belt, so an oil leak makes a mess.

Next winter the old engine will get the HD reman treatment, and hopefully be the basis of a new bike.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:10 AM
97Rob
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Evo Crate Motor

If you don't mind my asking, I'd be interested what you paid for the creat motor!

Old 04-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj...Next winter the old engine will get the HD reman treatment, and hopefully be the basis of a new bike...
Quick Q...Doesn't the dealership have to remove, send in, then reinstall the motor in order to qualify for the remanufacturing process? Or did The MoCo change it's policy?

I looked into the 'option', but since they return the motor to 'original' specificatins (they will remove any aftermarket cams, lifters, etc...I think it's a better choice to rebuild it yourself, or find a motor guy who has the equipment to do it for you. Unless you want a stock motor.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:37 AM
MikeyB
Tourer

Me too. I thought the dealer had to perform that service.

MikeyB

Old 04-29-2007, 12:07 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Cost was $2995 total.

I was asked about doing a reman job on my original motor, but didn't want to lose the riding time. I told them I'd probably send it in this coming winter to get a reman job done on it, then use it as the basis for another bike. No mention was made that the dealer had to remove/install, though I have heard that they have to do the work to keep the 90 day warranty intact. I'm not worried about that.

I played hot-rod-harry when I was a young pup with my Sportsters. Did the stroker, hot cams, etc. routine. Don't care now, just like to ride. Stock bike'll go faster than any speed limit I run across, so no big deal.

My original crankcases have a crack that is worsening. For the HD reman price I can get a new motor for quite a bit less than any local shop has estimated. Since I want a stock motor, the reman seemed the way to go.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:00 PM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

So you're saying there are two routes available for Reman? Send the old motor in and have it rebuilt or buy an already rebuilt motor without a core charge? Is this right?

Old 04-29-2007, 06:09 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: ssls6

So you're saying there are two routes available for Reman? Send the old motor in and have it rebuilt or buy an already rebuilt motor without a core charge? Is this right?
Not quite; you buy a brand new motor. It's an Evo built to the 1999 specs.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:59 PM
ssls6
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: pococj

ORIGINAL: ssls6

Not quite; you buy a brand new motor. It's an Evo built to the 1999 specs.
I get it. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:24 PM
ASQTec
Intermediate

So it's the B (balanced) motor?

Old 04-30-2007, 09:17 PM
otterbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts