EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Time for a bath

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 10:42 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts
Default Time for a bath

Hanging around with my grandson last night. Turned on the Royals game and watched the Blue Jays put it too them, so after a while I'd had enough of that, so I got an idea: Wash the bike.

It's been just over a year since I got it. About 8k miles later, she was getting kind of ratty. Not much on washing bikes really, but once a year seems about right.

So Sunnie and I got to work. This thing leaks, so lots of greasy, dirty oil all over the engine. Got it as best as I could. Even threw a coat of wax on the shiny stuff.

We went for a ride around the neighborhood. Little man is only six, so we just putted around in second gear.

This morning it was raining a bit when I got up. I found myself worrying that I was going to get my nice clean bike dirty today. That's when I remembered why I never wash my bike.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:44 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

I though something smelled RATTY......

Old 07-31-2015, 10:46 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

The guy who bought my FLHTP is taking GREAT care of her. Not riding her and has SEAFOAM in her....

Beautiful 1995 FLHTP Electra Glide. This Harley is loaded with all OEM Harley extras including Sissy bar or Tour Pack Seat with storage, all chrome extras, blue tooth stereo, leather trim, harley windshield with leather storage on the backside of the windshield. New starter and fly wheel installed by HD Indianapolis. This bike runs like new.You cant add anymore to this bike, its already been done. This bike looks and rides as nice as a street glide. Must see to believe how nice she is. Comes with a bike stand to keep her off the ground during storage or maintenance. The big stand alone is $350. This is ready to ride today and I have a clean title in hand.

I am looking to sell at this very low price or trade for a truck that has an extended cab or large SUV like a Chevy suburban or Ford Expedition. Please remember these bikes hold their value and there is no rust or issues with the bike. So please don't ask to trade your 1995 rusted F150 for the bike because that is not a good trade for me.

I have not ridden her this year but she had been on a trickle charger with sea foam throughout the fuel system so I know it will fire up and run well.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:55 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

I didn't think to run some Seafoam through mine last night.

Guess I didn't really wash it afterall.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:24 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by 0maha
I didn't think to run some Seafoam through mine last night.

Guess I didn't really wash it afterall.
You do know seafoam is just bubbled up salt water right??
I wouldn't want that in my bike!!!
I see tons of it every time I go to the beach!!!!

Old 08-01-2015, 08:05 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
The guy who bought my FLHTP is taking GREAT care of her. Not riding her and has SEAFOAM in her....

Probably got scared when the fringe got caught in a pavement crack...

Old 08-01-2015, 10:23 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Hackd

Probably got scared when the fringe got caught in a pavement crack...

Old 08-01-2015, 11:36 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,615 Likes on 2,727 Posts

To properly wash a bagger, gotta take everything off and expose the frame. That includes the swingarm and transmission. What the hell, gone that far, get the engine out of the way, too. Amazing how grime is packed in those unseen places. Pretty sure mine had dirt from Prudhoe Bay and Nova Scotia from a previous owner's epic ride, doubt it'd been really cleaned once in it's 120K+ life. When it's all back together, I'll let it collect samples for the next 120, washing my bikes means riding in the rain.

Took some pics when I was getting started on my last wash job. Wasn't exactly planning on a frame up refurb, but that's what it turned into. Don't think I'll ever wash one again. Can't afford many $3000 wash jobs...

Another reason I don't like washing my bikes, wash em, gotta fix em, all kinds of broke & wore out parts on a washed bike.

I'll spare you the sight of both sprockets on their last legs and the busted tour pack rack...

Old 08-01-2015, 01:04 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member

Looks like you missed a spot right there.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:41 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by 0maha
Looks like you missed a spot right there.

Quick Reply: Time for a bath