EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Fuel Gauge and Primary oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 08:43 PM
thewoozel666
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge and Primary oil

Ok, two problems in one thread! Fixed my stator issue finally, she is running and charging like she should. All is well there. However, Me being the idiot that I am forgot to add locktite to the clutch nut on the crankcase so while driving home today I lost clutch tension which resulted in me not being able to properly shift therefore there were plenty of times of the gears getting out of whack and so on...My bike would have no choice but to shut off at stops and whatever...the point is I got home knew instantly that was the issue and took out the primary oil so I could fish out the nut and lock it on there properly...however I noticed when taking the derby cover off that there was a strong odor that smelt like something was burning and the oil which has only been in there for two days was a thick grey color. Should I be concerned? Should I switch out the oil? Am I running the risk of ruining anything by driving to work tomorrow with the oil in there??? I know it's the right oil and it went in looking brown/tan. My stator is working fine still and the clutch was fixed...

Also my second question:
Ever since my Stator went out, I've noticed that my fuel gauge is no longer working...seems to be just stuck on FULL tank area. Why is this? How do I check it? I've looked in the manual but it says nothing about my fuel Gauge..

BTW I Have a 93 Dyna Wide Glide

Old 07-31-2015, 09:20 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by thewoozel666
I noticed when taking the derby cover off that there was a strong odor that smelt like something was burning and the oil which has only been in there for two days was a thick grey color. Should I be concerned? Should I switch out the oil?

Also my second question:
Ever since my Stator went out, I've noticed that my fuel gauge is no longer working...seems to be just stuck on FULL tank area. Why is this? How do I check it? I've looked in the manual but it says nothing about my fuel Gauge..

BTW I Have a 93 Dyna Wide Glide
To the first I would change the oil and see if the symptoms repeat.
Burnt smelling oil is usually a sign of a stator burning up.

To the second the fuel gauge is run by a float.
Sounds like it is stuck.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:25 PM
thewoozel666
Advanced

oh ****...how would the stator be burning up already???!! I just put it in?! It still works for sure now....but really though, how?! I just put it in. Also, how do I get the float unstuck on the fuel gauge?

Old 07-31-2015, 09:33 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by thewoozel666
oh ****...how would the stator be burning up already???!! I just put it in?! It still works for sure now....but really though, how?! I just put it in. Also, how do I get the float unstuck on the fuel gauge?
This is just a thought but when you drain your primary not all the oil comes out.
There is still oil on the clutch plates and many other nooks and crannys.
That maybe the source of your burnt oil smell.
As I said change it and see if that helps.

Can you take the fuel gauge out of your tank?
If so do it and make sure the float isn't stuck on something.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:26 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

THC has it right: Replace the oil as soon as you can. A few miles on the used oil won't kill anything, but tend to that as soon as you can. Give it a few days and see if the symptom repeats. I think the simplest assumption here is that your clutch adjustment was wazzed and you burned the plates a bit. Make sure you are 100% certain that the clutch is adjusted correctly. If the problem doesn't go away, then re-evaluate from there.

For the fuel gauge, IMHO it's useless anyway, so it did you a favor.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:13 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

A pegged gauge often indicates a ground issue.

Ditto 0maha on the gauge also.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:19 PM
thewoozel666
Advanced

Well I'm pretty sure the clutch is adjusted right...it snaps like it should, the bolt is on there tight this time for sure too...put locktite on it as well so it won't wiggle off again. But you don't think any permanent/highly expensive damage was done because of that???? Also I'm going to change the oil tomorrow AFTER work. @Beemervet ground issue? Where/what wires should I check??

Old 07-31-2015, 11:24 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,779 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Gray oil?? The only thing that will turn oil gray is aluminum in the oil. Sounds like something is rubbing the inside of the primary housing.

The stator is steel(iron) and copper wire, neither of these will turn oil gray, also the permanent magnets are black/brownish color. Again not gray.

I don't believe that lock tite is called far on the clutch nut, just the compensator nut on the engine crank shaft, and then only two drops, never used it because the heat from the engine would render lock-tite not so tite any way. You need to use the proper torque on the two nuts.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:40 AM
Yankee Dog
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 928 Posts

"The stator is steel(iron) and copper wire, neither of these will turn oil gray, also the permanent magnets are black/brownish color. Again not gray"

I agree. Something more is going on. Check the particles with a magnet, but it's probably aluminum. Are you talking the 11/16 clutch adjustment nut or the 1 3/16 clutch mainshaft nut that came loose?? I used a drop of red Loctite on the clutch shaft nut on mine. Ain't gonna hurt. Both the clutch nut and the comp nut on mine were way under torqued when I took mine apart for the first time.

I agree, I think the smell is from the clutch nut issue and tightening things back up will take care of that. The primary oil does get a funny smell from normal wear of the clutch plates. I can see that being thought of as "burnt". Anything on your primary drain plug magnet?

I think the "gray oil" is a separate issue and you need to do a little more checking. Is your primary chain tightened properly? Did the tensioner "drop" and no more tension?

If it was the clutch main shaft nut that came loose, then I could see the basket moving around might cause the "gray" in the oil. If it was the adjuster nut, then something else caused that "gray color to the oil" double check primary chain tension and alignment, order of spacers on comp side, etc.

I think the fuel gauge is just a coincidence, and as mentioned, double check grounds and connections. YD

Last edited by Yankee Dog; 08-01-2015 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:50 PM
Kabear
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,779 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Deleted post because redundet and useless.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge and Primary oil