EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Sissy Bar , Backrest for Converted Tour Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 06:53 PM
R@GZ
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sissy Bar , Backrest for Converted Tour Glide

I have a 1989 Tour Glide that I removed the tour pack from. Does anyone have any ideas about any way of adding a backrest, with, or without a sissy bar? I have the mounting structure (flat plate) still installed on the bike from the tour pack and thought about cutting up and welding parts of sissy bar brackets and welding them to the tour glide mounting plate, then fabbing up a sissy bar to fit the width.
I am in hopes that someone else may have done something like this and may have a better, more simple way of doing it. So far I can't find any ideas floating around out there.
I know there isn't much hope for info considering most people try to add a tour pack rather than eliminate it, and use a backrest but I have done extensive performance work on the engine and don't want to use the tour pack.
Thanks to who ever may read this, and have a great day.
Ragz

Old 08-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Welcome to EVO Land.
Not sure about an '89, but others have had luck retrofitting the '97-up quick detach to older bikes. The plate has to go.
Good move getting rid of the junk-pak....... I think they are hideous.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:55 PM
R@GZ
3rd Gear

Thanks Beemervet ! for the info and for the welcome. That is a good starting point, I will start checking out the 97 and up stuff to fab.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 76 Posts

See if you can find one of these online:

Factory luggage rack and backrest. Bolt to the top of the rear platform in the tourpak holes. Here's one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HARL...43e789&vxp=mtr

If you haven't bought it by tonight, I may buy it as a spare.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:31 PM
R@GZ
3rd Gear

Holy Toledo ! That is a great idea Hackd ! Thanks Man !! I am going to go that route. My back hurts from a gal pushing forward on me the whole time she was on the back of my bike yesterday.. I've got to do something NOW. lol Btw, Nice Bike, I like those turnouts.
Thanks a Million for the reply !

Old 08-03-2015, 03:44 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by R@GZ
Holy Toledo ! That is a great idea Hackd ! Thanks Man !! I am going to go that route. My back hurts from a gal pushing forward on me the whole time she was on the back of my bike yesterday.. I've got to do something NOW. lol
My wife requested I have that installed on the bike before I took delivery in 1993. The backrest can be removed and only a small bit of metal is above the seat. I've never removed mine, and would suggest using locktite on all the fasteners.

The nice thing about the EG is the Tourpak and other accessories from a lot of different model years will still bolt to the rear platform. I looked into getting a used Tourpak for mine, just for use on long trips, but they are way over my budget. I fashioned up a small RubberMaid Action Packer on a piece of wood and just bungee cord it to the rack. Remove the straps, take it into the motel room. I've even bungeed other 'stuff' to the top of it, and it all rode fine. I've got some pics if you want to go that route.

Btw, Nice Bike, I like those turnouts.
Thanks a Million for the reply!
SuperTrapp slipons. 18 discs. Makes a nice sound without being obnoxious.

Like I said, you better buy it before I go to bed, because The MoCo has obsoleted that part to the best of my knowledge.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:23 PM
R@GZ
3rd Gear

Hah! That is great, I think we are cut from the same cloth.. Thanks Again !

Old 08-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

I see that the item is sold, so I assume you grabbed it. Mine has served me well over the past 22+ years. I had to replace one back rest because it cracked from vibration. Other than that the 1993 chrome is still in good shape. Even after years of my lunch bag (mini-cooler) being strapped to it.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member

My back hurts from a gal pushing forward on me the whole time she was on the back of my bike yesterday..
BTW.... That sounds like a 'good hurt' to me....

Old 08-03-2015, 04:53 PM
R@GZ
3rd Gear

lol Yep! I just sent her a pic of the setup.. She's happy ! I grabbed that right away, it saved me a lot of fab work, and I sure appreciate you enlightening me on it. I like to spend my time doing engine work. I am swapping the cam again real soon to a EV 46 .. because it's in perfect shape and I got it free. I know people think a 46 is the wrong cam for a bagger, and I may not run it long but I've got to see for myself how it acts in my stripped down 89 Tour Glide. lol After tinkering with the jets and my Thunderjet, it should be a fun experiment. One of the many things I love about Evo's is that there are free and cheap parts everywhere, and it's easy to work on in a home shop.

Quick Reply: Sissy Bar , Backrest for Converted Tour Glide