EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Newbie 87' XLH883 RPM/MPH question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 05:29 PM
RadarRyder
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie 87' XLH883 RPM/MPH question...

I recently got a stock 87' xlh 883 standard sportster which only came with the stock speedo and no tach. I know most people on the forums state you should shift by feel, but being a new rider (I literally graduated the Harley MSF last weekend and got my class M endorsement Monday), untill I can cough up the dough for a tach, roughly what speed should I be shifting at? It's an stock 87' XLH883 standard model candy blue, no mods, with the 4speed Evo. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-01-2015, 07:07 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

What speed you shift at is dependent on the load you're putting on it. Run it wide open to the rev limiter and shift. Then you'll know what the maximum speed to shift at is. Anything less than that and you're leaving speed on the table. 90+ in third gear is a pretty good shift point, but you'll likely want to shift before that for routine riding. I seem to recall no problem doing around 60 in 2nd. But then I only rarely ride that one.

If you give it gas and it lugs, down shift. Otherwise, if you're cruising, up shift.

Anyway, you're worrying too much. Just ride it.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:16 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Run it wide open to the rev limiter and shift. Then you'll know what the maximum speed to shift at is.

Cheese Wiz! Doc, do you really do that, or are you sipping on grandmas cough medicine?

I'm pretty sure I never hit the rev limiter before.............

Old 09-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 1,343 Posts

If I said "*****," would you understand why?

Old 09-01-2015, 07:26 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member

Yes, yes I would.........

Old 09-01-2015, 09:48 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Just ride it... You will literally know when to shift, the bike will tell you. Just remember its a whole lot less stressful for the engine to bang off the rev limiter than it is to lug it.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:38 AM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by tmanbuckhunter
Just ride it... You will literally know when to shift, the bike will tell you. Just remember its a whole lot less stressful for the engine to bang off the rev limiter than it is to lug it.
That's IT! As soon as I hit the 500 mile mark, I'm "banging my rev limiter."

Hmmmm.....sounds fun........bwaaaaaaaaaa!

Old 09-02-2015, 05:41 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

you better wear protective gear ( harley sells it under the HD brand ( HD stands for hundred dollars ) its right next the the under wear that say F%^K housework

Old 09-02-2015, 08:39 AM
RadarRyder
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What speed you shift at is dependent on the load you're putting on it. Run it wide open to the rev limiter and shift. Then you'll know what the maximum speed to shift at is. Anything less than that and you're leaving speed on the table. 90+ in third gear is a pretty good shift point, but you'll likely want to shift before that for routine riding. I seem to recall no problem doing around 60 in 2nd. But then I only rarely ride that one.

If you give it gas and it lugs, down shift. Otherwise, if you're cruising, up shift.

Anyway, you're worrying too much. Just ride it.

Thanks Doc! And thanks to everyone else! Rode it into work today I really pushed the RPM's and was amazed how fast I could get it up before it stopped giving me any more power in each gear.

Keeping her higher up in the RPM range than I was seemed to help a bit with the low speed (40mph) rear end shimmy/wobble I get on one leg of the route I take to work. I traded some items for from an old fella at work who is retireing next year who has a road king and a dyna, so it sat in his garage for a good long while thinking maybe the tire has a flat spot.

Anyway, Doc if you ever find yourself around Vandy send me a PM I'll buy you a brew and talk shop!

Old 09-02-2015, 09:09 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 499 Posts

hahahahahahah!

Quick Reply: Newbie 87' XLH883 RPM/MPH question...