EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Ordered brake upgrades, please check me

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,175 Likes on 6,218 Posts
Default Ordered brake upgrades, please check me

Father much agonizing, I finally ordered the much needed brake upgrades. Please check that I did not overlook something.

I ultimately ended up going with the Hawg Halters calipers. It was way too difficult to figure out the correct calipers I needed from performance machine, and the Hawg Halters were priced right.

Description Qty. Unit Price Your Price
241-942 HHI FRONT 6 PISTON CALIPER 1 $439.99 $375.60
241-541 HHI REAR CALIPER KIT 1 $530.99 $453.28
Product Total $970.98
Applied Discount -$142.10
Net Product Dollars $828.88
Sub Total $828.88
TOTAL $0.00

I also ordered stainless steel braided brake lines here. This kit seems very complete and is specific to the bike instead of generic, make your own.

http://www.helperformance.us/hel-bra...1987-2003.html

Old 09-03-2015, 11:03 PM
Prot
Club Member

I also ordered the HD floating rotors based on reading reviews on this forum and high praised from texashillcountry. I have to admit they seem like a good bargain.

Description Unit price Qty Amount
KIT-FLOATING BRAKE DISC,RR/CHRM
Item# 44108-95A $126.32 USD 1 $126.32 USD
KIT-FLOATING BRAKE DISC,FRT/CHRM
Item# 44101-95A $126.32 USD 1 $126.32

So hopefully that does it.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:45 AM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 651 Posts

Better brakes are always great

Old 09-04-2015, 06:32 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
I also ordered the HD floating rotors based on reading reviews on this forum and high praised from texashillcountry. I have to admit they seem like a good bargain.

Description Unit price Qty Amount
KIT-FLOATING BRAKE DISC,RR/CHRM
Item# 44108-95A $126.32 USD 1 $126.32 USD
KIT-FLOATING BRAKE DISC,FRT/CHRM
Item# 44101-95A $126.32 USD 1 $126.32

So hopefully that does it.

When did I say that??
I must admit I like the idea but I've never tried them myself.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Lucky Luke
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure to give us a long term review once you are done.

I'd never seen Hawg Halters "Roadlok" calipers before. Possibly a clever idea to stop casual 'ride away' bike thieves, but don't the professionals just pick the entire bike up?

Old 09-04-2015, 09:17 AM
falconbrother
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I always preferred the drag chute and thick soled shoes..

Old 09-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Prot
Club Member

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
When did I say that?? I must admit I like the idea but I've never tried them myself.
I could have sworn I read somewhere in an old thread about you commenting on them.

Regardless, at about half the price of most floating rotors, I think they area good value. I have also read they are less prone to squeal than most aftermarket rotors.

I am still concerned about the rear master cylinder, but it isn't leaking, so I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I didn't go with the roadlock caliper. I just went with a regular 6 piston front and four piston rear. The performance machine was slightly more expensive, but the main thing was I could not get a definitive answer on what caliper was right for what I wanted, with the best answer being well, any of these four or six will work. If they can't explain to me what the difference is between those four or six that were recommended, then there is no way I could make a confident informed decision.

Another factor is Hawg Halters mentioned something about having an easy service option the way it is made.

Maybe at long last, this old bike won't feel like a runaway freight train.

In other news, I stopped by the dealer yesterday to have a look at the new bikes and a salesman asked me what I was riding. He laughed and asked me if I was ready to join the 21st century. I laughed it off. The new Heritage has bag stiffeners but the way the bags are made, they look odd.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:04 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Prot
I could have sworn I read somewhere in an old thread about you commenting on them.

Regardless, at about half the price of most floating rotors, I think they area good value. I have also read they are less prone to squeal than most aftermarket rotors.

I am still concerned about the rear master cylinder, but it isn't leaking, so I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I didn't go with the roadlock caliper. I just went with a regular 6 piston front and four piston rear. The performance machine was slightly more expensive, but the main thing was I could not get a definitive answer on what caliper was right for what I wanted, with the best answer being well, any of these four or six will work. If they can't explain to me what the difference is between those four or six that were recommended, then there is no way I could make a confident informed decision.

Another factor is Hawg Halters mentioned something about having an easy service option the way it is made.

Maybe at long last, this old bike won't feel like a runaway freight train.

In other news, I stopped by the dealer yesterday to have a look at the new bikes and a salesman asked me what I was riding. He laughed and asked me if I was ready to join the 21st century. I laughed it off. The new Heritage has bag stiffeners but the way the bags are made, they look odd.
First no big deal.

Second if the master cylinder is working fine why fix it?
I can lock up the rear brake with my stock caliper so I see no need to get a new one.
I will agree that the stock set up on the front leaves a lot to be desired.

Next time they ask you if you want to join the 21st centaury tell them you will when they make something better than what you have.
Until then no thanks. (That's what I do.)

Old 09-04-2015, 10:39 AM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

I'm not quite sure why the need to upgrade here. My stock brakes put out all the stopping power my tires can use. I can lock both wheels on clean dry pavement, and to me, that's enough.

If I wanted to join the "21st century" it probably wouldn't be on a Harley.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:59 AM
Prot
Club Member

My front brake barely slows me down and doesn't come anywhere close to locking up. It is so ineffective that I wonder if dragging my boots might be better.

The rear locks up so easily it is ridiculous. When it locks up, the rear end squirms around but doesn't slow me down, almost as if it is on ice.

I have had problems with stuck calipers, leaking master cylinder etc each of which is fixed only to return.

The rear rotor is warped by the way it sounds (high on one side and low on the other) in addition to squeaking.

After numerous band aids over the last several years ever since I owned it, brake problems always return.

When I got out of the hospital and started riding again, I realized how bad it was because apparently I got accustomed to lousy brakes.

The tires are fine.

I suspect a lot of my ongoing problems might be bad brake lines, hence the change to stainless steel braided lines which won't expand when pressure is applied.

I am leaving both master cylinders alone, especially since I never had a problem with the front one but the rear has been rebuilt a couple of times.

The fact that I am apprehensive about riding due to fear of the brakes is enough to make the upgrade worth the cost. It might just be buying peace of mind that a potential problem has been addressed.

A six piston caliper spreads the braking force evenly and you can get a quicker stop without going into lock up. Sport bikes have used them for years, especially with their high heat.

I just know I need to do something. We spend thousands to go fast. It only makes sense to spend some money to stop.

I had thought about dual disks, but it seemed more involved than something like this which is more straightforward bolt on stuff.

The bike is a 95 and most of the braking system is original.

Also, brake pedal and lever feel is lousy, kind of spongy feeling. I am hoping I get better feel after all this.

Quick Reply: Ordered brake upgrades, please check me