EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Winter Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 03:22 PM
djodrey
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my diy air ride installed last week. I love it and rides great, got some miles in on Black Friday. I put the switch in the aux switch spot on my nacelle. Here is a pic of it slammed.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:58 PM
djodrey
Cruiser

Hey guys, here is an update. Salt hit the roads a few weeks ago so I started the project, the bad part is I am now unemployed so the budget has shrank big time. So far I have installed my rear air ride and am finishing up rebuilding the forks with 2" drop progressive kit. I also have completely rebuilt the carb with all cvp parts. Next will be going on the table lift for top end tear down. I almost forgot I also added the uniqcyclesounds touring edition speakers, not sure how they will be but they sound great and super loud in the garage. I'll post some pics of my install b/c I added a plug and put the amp in my saddlebag. Also added a Bluetooth remote for my iPhone so I could be cordless.

Last edited by djodrey; 01-19-2016 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Speakers
Old 01-19-2016, 09:06 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts

Sorry to hear about the job. If there are parts you still need and I have them your welcome to them. just list them and I'll check. Good luck man...

Old 01-20-2016, 12:33 AM
djodrey
Cruiser

Thanks I really appreciate it.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:33 PM
djodrey
Cruiser

Front end is back together, I will have to get some pics up later. Getting ready to tear into the motor hopefully this weekend, so far I think I have all the parts I will need except a cam and adjustable pushrods. If anyone has the rods or a good cam let me know otherwise hoping to go with an ev46. The plan is to hone the cylinder and clean everything up, rering the piston and install new valve seals. I was having some smoke issues so these are the things that have to be done motor wise other than the cam. I would like to mill the heads .060 to gain 1 compression because I think that will be cheaper than pistons anyhow I will get some updated pics in the next couple days and keep you all informed with the tear down.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:09 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I ordered s&s adjustable rods for my build incase I didn't like my new cam (ev27) then I could swap it easily, for something else... Someone suggested not to get the quickies so I didn't, now that I have my rods they say ONLY the quickie will let you swap cam without undoing the top end. I'm not gonna exchange them, they are going in.
I hate getting information after the fact, seems that has been my trend lately, even after asking questions and research. Hopefully I'll like my cam.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by glidein wide
I ordered s&s adjustable rods for my build incase I didn't like my new cam (ev27) then I could swap it easily, for something else... Someone suggested not to get the quickies so I didn't, now that I have my rods they say ONLY the quickie will let you swap cam without undoing the top end. I'm not gonna exchange them, they are going in.
I hate getting information after the fact, seems that has been my trend lately, even after asking questions and research. Hopefully I'll like my cam.
We're here to help answer queries like that! The original solid rods are better in some ways, but require the top end to be disturbed. 'Twas ever thus.....

Old 01-23-2016, 08:36 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
We're here to help answer queries like that! The original solid rods are better in some ways, but require the top end to be disturbed. 'Twas ever thus.....
Well this is where I get my info, right OR wrong....I have no friends....

Old 01-23-2016, 11:07 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,817 Likes on 3,319 Posts

Hey Glide......... Your only across the Sound. I'll be your friend...DUDE.......

AND You can do a cam swap with those pushrods. I have... It's a pita but can be done. Put the crank at tdc on the front cylinder and then loosen all the pushrods completely then take the cam chest cover completely off. The cam will drop a smidgen when you pull the cover off and I have not had any issues with anything by doing it this way. Then Unbolt the lifter blocks and slide up the pushrod and with you left had catch the lifter, at that point you can lift and remove the pushrods..I believe the rear exhaust lobe might have a little tension on it if I remember correctly. No big deal just rotate the crank a little to relief that tension. Once you get all the lifters out of the way then you can pop the cam out. Just keep an eye on your timing marks and you should be good. After the new cam is in just reverse the procedure, install the pushrods (with tubes and lifter blocks up into the head as a complete assembly) holding the lifters in your left hand and resting on the cam lobes (in the cam chest where the lifter block normally sits) (you have to do both intake and exhaust lifters at the same time, it can be a pita, just be patient) guiding the lifter block down onto the lifters. It can be done without and harm to anything. Once everything is back in and pushrods still fully collapse put the cam chest cover back on the journal of the cam. This is where it gets a little tricky, you will have to lift the cam with the with the cam chest cover a smidgen to get it mounted properly on the guide pins because of that little bit of tension on the rear exhaust lobe. I have done this now at least 3 times and never had an issue. To me it beats popping off the heads... Just pay strict attention to your cam and breather timing while doig this. You don't want to take it back apart to correct...

My other advise would be that if you didn't use the regular S&S adjustable's send them back and get the quickies. I would trust them. Your not building a race motor. I have in the past sent things back without guilt or anything. If I have had even just a smidgen of doubt or not 100% satisfied, Back It Goes...... It's your machine, you have to be 100% happy with your decision......Yup... back it goes.

Old 01-23-2016, 11:11 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by glidein wide
I don't see why you would install something that you would just have to cut out if you didn't like the cam.
Stock pushrods work just fine with a 27 (that's what I have now) and are a hell of alot cheaper than those S&S ones you bought.

I highly recommend sending the ones you bought back and sticking with the solid pushrods as it won't hurt near as much if you have to cut them.

JMO

Quick Reply: Winter Project