EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Front end swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 07:29 PM
Dgaroutte
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Front end swap

I have a 97 ultra and want to do some front end work. I was given almost all of the parts off of a 05 Road King--fork tubes, lowers, axle and wheels. Since I am going to rebuild the front end should I use the newer parts and if so, what else do I need to buy? Should I buy Progressive springs etc. for internals? What are the benefits of the swap? Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:10 PM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Check out the Race Tech single rate spring system and do some searches for other reviews comparing both systems. I like how my Road King handles with them.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:48 PM
92Fatty
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing that sticks out is the calipers are different on the newer models. Are the 05 forks all in pieces or assembled?

Old 11-18-2015, 09:11 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by Dgaroutte
I have a 97 ultra and want to do some front end work. I was given almost all of the parts off of a 05 Road King--fork tubes, lowers, axle and wheels. Since I am going to rebuild the front end should I use the newer parts and if so, what else do I need to buy? Should I buy Progressive springs etc. for internals? What are the benefits of the swap? Any and all ideas are greatly appreciated.
Is your speedo mechanical or electrical?

Old 11-18-2015, 09:12 PM
Dgaroutte
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They are in pieces. The person I got them from was originally going to use the tubes and replace/powder coat the lowers and replace the springs with Progressive, but ended up replacing everything because the tubes had some rust on them and bought new powder coated lowers.

In addition to the springs and seal kit, I will still need to buy calipers and rotors? Anything else anyone can think of?

Speedo is mechanical.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:17 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by Dgaroutte
They are in pieces. The person I got them from was originally going to use the tubes and replace/powder coat the lowers and replace the springs with Progressive, but ended up replacing everything because the tubes had some rust on them and bought new powder coated lowers.

In addition to the springs and seal kit, I will still need to buy calipers and rotors? Anything else anyone can think of?

Speedo is mechanical.
What axel size does the '05 use??
If it ain't 3/4" your gonna have a few bumps in your road.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:11 AM
rockhousebadboy
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Getting ready to do the same here to my 97 ultra so I will be subscribed to this thread. I have already picked up 2007 lowers and 4 piston calipers, New rotors (should be same size as old) and a 1 inch axle that I am going to have machined down to 3/4 in the middle so I can use my wheel and speedo drive. From what I have read on here this should work. If anyone sees something I am missing please let me know. Also undecided on where to go with the Progressive cartridges or just the springs.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:03 AM
Crashone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by rockhousebadboy
that I am going to have machined down to 3/4 in the middle so I can use my wheel and speedo drive. .
How is that going to work?

Old 11-19-2015, 10:33 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by rockhousebadboy
Getting ready to do the same here to my 97 ultra so I will be subscribed to this thread. I have already picked up 2007 lowers and 4 piston calipers, New rotors (should be same size as old) and a 1 inch axle that I am going to have machined down to 3/4 in the middle so I can use my wheel and speedo drive. From what I have read on here this should work. If anyone sees something I am missing please let me know. Also undecided on where to go with the Progressive cartridges or just the springs.
How do you plan on putting a wheel with 3/4" wheel bearings over an axel with 1" ends????

Old 11-19-2015, 12:28 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Crashone
How is that going to work?
Originally Posted by texashillcountry
How do you plan on putting a wheel with 3/4" wheel bearings over an axel with 1" ends????
I'm curious about this as well.

Quick Reply: Front end swap