EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Last question....symptoms/fix if bike not run/stored long time

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:10 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Last question....symptoms/fix if bike not run/stored long time

So you all have been helpful in my attempt to purchase a 96 RK carbed - for new-to-the-story, it has 45K miles and the seller bought it for a guy with a dealers license so he doesn't know much about the bike. I've seen pics only so far as the bike is an hour away and he is not available to show it until tomorrow. He is asking $5500. normally buy from owners who have had the bike awhile to have a good idea about it but this buying from a private dealer thing is new to me.

My last question is: how do I tell if the bike has sat awhile - what signs will there be if the carb is gummed up? what about the engine damage from sitting? What kind of fix is needed and is it an expensive fix? How would you look for the signs....remove air cleaner to see carb?

Ha, I know there is more than one question there but it's really one Just trying to get completely prepared for when I check it out in person tomorrow.

Last edited by jacknthebox; 02-07-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-07-2016, 09:27 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I bought an FLHTC last year. 1990 model. 10k original miles. Totally stock. It took a good 2,500 miles of riding to get her loosened up. These bikes like being run.

This one may or may not be a bit tight at first, but it doesn't matter much. From what I recall on your other thread, there was recent work done. That's the most important thing. Unless you know the "who" and the "what" on that, personally I wouldn't be interested. There are lots of Evos out there.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:54 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 0maha
I bought an FLHTC last year. 1990 model. 10k original miles. Totally stock. It took a good 2,500 miles of riding to get her loosened up. These bikes like being run.

This one may or may not be a bit tight at first, but it doesn't matter much. From what I recall on your other thread, there was recent work done. That's the most important thing. Unless you know the "who" and the "what" on that, personally I wouldn't be interested. There are lots of Evos out there.
Yeah someone mentioned not to fall in love with the bike but love the deal and that helped me settle down in letting my emotions get the best of me - that's why I want to be as thorough as I can. I will at least look but i agree with you that there will be others - that helps. I am gonna call the guy and see if I can find out where the work was done and try and get an idea of the maintenance history that way and maybe get the vin and see what a search shows.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:21 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Why this bike? There seems to be a lot of "story" to it, and I don't like buying stories.

If you contact the seller today, be direct and to the point: You need to know the name of the shop that did the work, and you need the VIN. If he balks at providing that, walk away. If you get the info, call the shop tomorrow and get the details on what they did. If for whatever reason they can't or won't tell you, walk away.

If you get the info and everything checks out, then go see it. Personally, I wouldn't sweat inspecting it too thoroughly. Just make sure it looks clean and well cared for (at his price, it should look showroom new), make sure it starts and runs well (make note when you get there if it's warm when you arrive.. I'd rather see a cold start), give it a once over looking for corrosion on the hard bits and checking on the soft bits, and that's about it. I don't think you need to start taking stuff apart on it.

At the kind of money you are talking, a bit of patience and searching will get you a 100% unmolested bike in near-perfect condition with half the miles. FWIW, for my money, I'll spend more to find a total garage queen. There are thousands of then out there.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:35 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 0maha
Why this bike? There seems to be a lot of "story" to it, and I don't like buying stories.

If you contact the seller today, be direct and to the point: You need to know the name of the shop that did the work, and you need the VIN. If he balks at providing that, walk away. If you get the info, call the shop tomorrow and get the details on what they did. If for whatever reason they can't or won't tell you, walk away.

If you get the info and everything checks out, then go see it. Personally, I wouldn't sweat inspecting it too thoroughly. Just make sure it looks clean and well cared for (at his price, it should look showroom new), make sure it starts and runs well (make note when you get there if it's warm when you arrive.. I'd rather see a cold start), give it a once over looking for corrosion on the hard bits and checking on the soft bits, and that's about it. I don't think you need to start taking stuff apart on it.

At the kind of money you are talking, a bit of patience and searching will get you a 100% unmolested bike in near-perfect condition with half the miles. FWIW, for my money, I'll spend more to find a total garage queen. There are thousands of then out there.
"Why this bike" is for the wrong reason...the moment i saw the pic I wanted it!

Then beyond that it is exactly my price point - it looks sharp and is black and has apes, hard bags with chrome rails and top of bag guards and it just looks sweet - everything i want. It was after that that I found it was an evo and learned more about the evo and like what i hear. I am right with you on your thoughts - too much story and unless i can get more i will be patient as **** to find the right bike - thanks for keeping me rational

Last edited by jacknthebox; 02-07-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:42 AM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,699 Likes on 1,154 Posts

If this is the one you want and are willing to pay.
Insist for a test ride. At the price I'd want to really have the opportunity for a minimum of 20-30 min test ride.

That will give you the time to REALLY ck the bike out. Now this would involve you to convince the guy you have valid Motorcycle license and know how to ride.

You mentioned it's an hour away. I have sold and traded a few bikes over the years. When some one showed up riding a bike I was more likely to allow a test ride. 2or 3 times I said Ok you ride this one and I ride yours. 1 fella said no and the others said Ok and we made a deal.

Ya just have to see when ya get there Good Luck

WP

Old 02-08-2016, 08:47 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain

Originally Posted by WP50
If this is the one you want and are willing to pay.
Insist for a test ride. At the price I'd want to really have the opportunity for a minimum of 20-30 min test ride.

That will give you the time to REALLY ck the bike out. Now this would involve you to convince the guy you have valid Motorcycle license and know how to ride.

You mentioned it's an hour away. I have sold and traded a few bikes over the years. When some one showed up riding a bike I was more likely to allow a test ride. 2or 3 times I said Ok you ride this one and I ride yours. 1 fella said no and the others said Ok and we made a deal.

Ya just have to see when ya get there Good Luck

WP
Thanks. good points.

I called the guy ad asked if I could do a VIN check to see if I can get at least some paper trail of history on the bike and he said oh sure then said he would call me back with the VIN - I didn't hear back from him. Maybe i am prying too much for him. IDK we will see.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:50 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by jacknthebox
Thanks. good points.

I called the guy ad asked if I could do a VIN check to see if I can get at least some paper trail of history on the bike and he said oh sure then said he would call me back with the VIN - I didn't hear back from him. Maybe i am prying too much for him. IDK we will see.
He might still get back to you but if he doesn't give you the VIN then walk away.

Just my opinion.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:25 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
He might still get back to you but if he doesn't give you the VIN then walk away.

Just my opinion.
yeah he might. i agree though, if he doesnt then I walk.

Hey please check out my post about the 97 I found...it's asking about CFR exhaust.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:15 PM
BigUglyMan
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

So where are we at Jack? I'm having a hard time keeping up!

Quick Reply: Last question....symptoms/fix if bike not run/stored long time