EVO All Evo Model Discussion

Is my breaker going bad? 1986 flhtc

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 04:02 PM
watindes
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is my breaker going bad? 1986 flhtc

Stopped after a longish ride and cut the bike off. Went to start it again, and it did, but no dash lights, radio or gauges. I had something like this happen before and it turns out the post had corroded/melted on the old breaker.
This breaker looks normal but i am wondering if it is starting to fail, it has down this a few times when I hit the break, it would break and reset. This is the only weak point in the circuit.
I am a ways from home and replaced the 20a circuit with a 30a circuit breaker. What's the verdict on doing that? Is there anything else I should check?

Old 04-16-2016, 04:07 PM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Check the condition of the ground between all the electricals in the fairing and the rest of the bike.

Oversizing a breaker is generally a bad idea.

Old 04-16-2016, 04:14 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by watindes
Stopped after a longish ride and cut the bike off. Went to start it again, and it did, but no dash lights, radio or gauges. I had something like this happen before and it turns out the post had corroded/melted on the old breaker.
This breaker looks normal but i am wondering if it is starting to fail, it has down this a few times when I hit the break, it would break and reset. This is the only weak point in the circuit.
I am a ways from home and replaced the 20a circuit with a 30a circuit breaker. What's the verdict on doing that? Is there anything else I should check?
In general it's a bad idea but if it's all you can get and will get you home then I say go for it.

I'd put a 20A breaker back in it at the first opportunity though.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:52 PM
watindes
Cruiser

Originally Posted by texashillcountry
In general it's a bad idea but if it's all you can get and will get you home then I say go for it.

I'd put a 20A breaker back in it at the first opportunity though.
A friend had a 25A inline fuse in his saddle bag I wired in. Some piece of mind it will crap out before my wiring burns, will get a 20 when I'm back in town. But do these breakers go bad periodically? I think mine is a year old

Old 04-16-2016, 06:36 PM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

Originally Posted by watindes
A friend had a 25A inline fuse in his saddle bag I wired in. Some piece of mind it will crap out before my wiring burns, will get a 20 when I'm back in town. But do these breakers go bad periodically? I think mine is a year old
I know this doesn't help but I live on the philosophy that anything man made can fail at any time. Even right out of the box.

Although Chineses parts seem to fail at a much greater rate IMO.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:23 AM
watindes
Cruiser
Default My breaker experiment cont.

Well I wired in my fuseable link and rode home about 50 miles. I am running a 30a breaker with a 25a fuse as a fail safe. I tried overloading the circuit by using all the accessories I can, fog lights, both turn signals/hazards, horn, brake, all at once and it didn't blow.
I did notice that my volt gauge was reading higher than normal (nothing alarming) from 12.9 to around 13.3v. The indicator was less erratic when I turned on my turn signals as well. Is this because of the higher amps that are flowing. Nothing burned up so far.....

Old 04-17-2016, 08:59 AM
texashillcountry
Dirt don't hurt

When your bike is running you should see you about 14.4 volts on it
sounds like your voltage is running a little low

Old 04-17-2016, 08:59 AM
gusotto
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Circuit breakers can get hot, then open.
After cooling, they can be OK.

I knew of that problem and when I lost all electrical on my Sportster, I trailered it home. Same thing with other models.

Worked fine the next morning.

(It was working but started to miss bad after a ride and getting gas. I pulled over and turned off the bike. Then turned on the bike and nothing! Not even a horn.)

Only think in the circuit that would kill everything was the circuit breaker or the battery.

Replaced the circuit breaker ($6.00 from Harley) and its been years now without a problem.
CB was a cheaper fix than a battery.

I'd never replace a proper fuse amperage with a larger fuse.
Good chance of burning out parts and wires.
Find your problem first!

Last edited by gusotto; 04-17-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:06 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

there are more circuit breakers than just the main on your bike. there are breakers for lights, ignition and a couple more circuits. those are 15 amp. on a bike that old i would replace all of them.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:41 AM
watindes
Cruiser

Where would those other beakers be?

Quick Reply: Is my breaker going bad? 1986 flhtc